Register now to get rid of these ads!

CHEAP and Great Alternative Coil Springs '49 thru '59 Ford and Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fairlane Dave, Apr 26, 2008.

1. MickD

MickD

"The Moogs"? What zat?

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

If you feel a need to adjust height after the install use these available in several thicknesses : http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/universal-coil-spring-isolators.asp Also you can upgrade your 1954-59 Ford sway bars with these: http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/universal-sway-bar-bushings.asp And these: http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/universal-sway-bar-end-links.asp they also have replacement dust boots much better quality than import rubber. If you take the part numbers to Autozone and get them out of the warehouse you can save a bunch on freight also ran across some of these parts at Pep Boys. After you lower the car that can change the sway bar links length so you should use the directions in the link to measure before you order.

hans mercman likes this.
  3. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

If im reading the spec correctly for the isolators, looks like the most your going to get is 5/8" lift though? A quick google search tells me you can buy coil spacers between 1" and 4" though, so there is something out there for everyone to get their height just right

4. martyk98

martyk98
    from washington

someone posted on one of these sites the exact alignment specs with the aerostar springs installed for a 54. Anyone remember where or who?

ChristopherJobe likes this.
  5. Alignment specs? I went with the factory recommendations for my '59 Ford.

jambottle likes this.
  6. 56longroof

56longroof

7. willyschad

willyschad
    from ohio

IMG_0442.JPG Just put a brand new set of Aerostar springs in 54 business coupe last night. They give the car an awesome stance. Lowered the car 2.5 inches for only $53! Awesome thread. Thanks

8. What is a good drop for my ‘53 2” in front and 3” in rear?

9. ChristopherJobe

ChristopherJobe

Somewhere someone mentioned cutting a bit more off of the moog CC850 spring as it wasn’t quite enough drop on a 6 cyl car with 4” blocks. I’ve got a 54’ with the 223 and I’m looking at my new springs ready to do the project ..preferably only once. Opinions and info on how much to trim/which end you chose to trim from?? Thanks in advance

10. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I'm in the process of doing the Aerostar swap on my 58 Fairlane. The factory parts diagram shows a spacer on the left spring.
    Do I need the spacer?

11. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Does it have one now?

You can try with or without, and check to see if it's sitting near level, and adjust accordingly.

mammyjammer likes this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg When I did my 56 there were thin pads on the top of the springs, I'm sure this was for noise. After installing the Aerostars I noticed the car was not level. I had used 1/4" urethane spacers I found on line for a Toyota pickup (same inner/outer diameter as the springs). They came in different thickness so I bought another set and put a thicker one on the lower side.

13. VWJon

VWJon

I have a '59 Custom 300.
    The P.O. lowered it with Jamco 3" lower springs and 4" blocks.
    It looks great but I am thinking of raising it up 1".
    I believe the front suspension is bottomed out and actually lower than 3".

I am considering trying the Aerostar springs, but will likely try the coil spring spacers first.

I have had much lower cars it the past but I kinda don't wanna grind this one up that much.

14. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Mine had the same problem so new shocks and shorter bump stops fixed that

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VWJon likes this.
  15. Slopok

Slopok

It will ride much better with the Aerostars, they are progressive.

VWJon likes this.
  16. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

17. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Cutting a progressive coil spring isn't a real good idea drive the car a couple of months they usually will settle another 1/2"- 3/4"

18. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

flipping the spindles will kick the wheel back about an inch in the wheel well, I wouldn't do it.

19. I have 215/75-15 tires on 6" wheels on my '59 and the aerostars were short and I had a bad tire scrape on even slight inclines. Moog had a spring one # up from the one everyone loves here that is probably the best for the '57 to '59. But I just cut 1 coil from my stock springs and it works well.

20. Justin54FayCustomline

Justin54FayCustomline
    from San Diego

Aerostar coils and aluminum lowering blocks that go on the lower a arm .

Attached Files:

21. 54Ford4Door

54Ford4Door

Ok so I started this on the passenger side of my 54 on addition to replacing all of the rubber and I've run into a problem.

IMG_20180606_201311.jpg

Setting the car down just to have a look and it's sitting real low.

IMG_20180606_195710.jpg
    IMG_20180606_200356.jpg

The only bit of rubber that isn't new is the lower bump stop (waiting for them to come in) but as you can see it's resting on the lower stop. Shocks are oem.

Recommendations? Was thinking about using upper stops on the bottom? Will that be enough?

The power plant that's in there is a 292

22. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Mine did the same , they sell little pancake bump stops which is what I bought but the springs settle after awhile on top of them , only other option is change springs or get some of those rubber spring spacers they sell at the parts store

23. I just cut my original lower bumpers in half and have been driving it like that for about 5 or so years (about 12k miles) now with no real issues. It does bottom out every once in a while, but there is enough rubber left to soften the hit.

24. Oh, and I don't think I have ever posted a pic of my 56 with the Aerostar springs and 2" blocks in the rear for reference for anyone considering doing this. I have been happy with mine in both stance and ride.
    IMG_1101[1].PNG

25. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Looks great!

guthriesmith likes this.
  26. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

IMG_2553.JPG by the way here’s mine with aero star springs and 3 inch blocks

hans mercman and guthriesmith like this.
  27. We also just put a set of these springs on my sons 50, but it has Granada spindles and isn't low enough yet. We will likely add some dropped spindles to it as well. Right now, it has 4" blocks in the rear and is about the right height, just not sure whether we will leave the blocks or do something with a combination of blocks and springs.

IMG_2255[1].JPG

28. Energy Suspension has a variety of bump stops.

29. slim39

slim39
    from pa

Stanley spring Dayton corp harrisburg pa they should be able to help you

30. Black Wagoon

Black Wagoon

PERFECT stance!!

guthriesmith likes this.