Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Removing Pin Stripping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ffr1222k, Oct 27, 2017.

1. I am looking at a car that quite a few pin stripes, both on the outside and on the dash. They are well done stripes but I am not a pin stripe person. Can these safely be removed without damage to the paint? If it can't I will pass on the car.

2. Lacquer thinner will remove one shot but you need to be patient and soak it,I recently removed some on the door of our Shasta camper.

I would suggest you not try this if the the car is in primer. HRP

[​IMG]

We wanted to change the Betty to Berry so we used lacquer thinner to remove parts of the T's.

[​IMG]

The paint had been there for several years.

[​IMG]

3. That was creative Danny!

Looks good.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. MoePower

MoePower
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omro, WI

Easy Off oven cleaner in the yellow can, leave it sit for a couple minutes and wipe off. You may have to do a couple applications but its worked for me in the past. Only once did I have a little darkening of the painted surface. Test a small spot prior obviously.

5. metalhotrodgirl

metalhotrodgirl

If the car isn't in primer I would recommend oven cleaner the original one , spray on a rag (wear gloves this shit is nasty) rub on the pinstripes let stand 5 mins tops, wash off with soap and water. And keep doing these steps until gone . Don't let this stuff sit for a long period of time because it is harsh but it will take off old to new pinstriping . But also if the pinstripes have been on there for a long time they might leave ghost marks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

As metal states they probably will leave "ghost stripes".

7. don't ya have too worry about the base paint? Why won't that come off as fast as the pin stripes?

8. Slopok

Slopok

Ghosts gonna remain for sure! But then again, it's close to Halloween!:eek:

lothiandon1940 and Chili Phil like this.
  9. What about pin stripe tape? Heat gun? I just bought a 59 F-100 with 80's pin stripe tape on it and I want to remove it. It's been on there a while! I will live with ghost stripes as opposed to the bayliner tape :D

IMG_8820.JPG

10. partssaloon

partssaloon

I've always used lacquer thinner mixed with polishing compound. Just a little bit at a time.

11. What if the stripping is on primer?

12. metalhotrodgirl

metalhotrodgirl

Heat gun, and plastic razor blade , rustoleum makes a decal adhesive remover I never used it but if the sticky stiff is still there that should help get it off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Chris and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. zzford

zzford

There is a tan rubber decal remover wheel that you chuck up in a drill available. It works great. I used to use them to remove decals and striping off old city trucks to prep them for auction. Probably get them at any auto body supply store.

low budget and Chris like this.
  14. zzford

zzford

3M makes them.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Chris, I had a pair of 14" Moon eyeball decals on my otherwise clean white '56 Ford. My Grandma said "White Distilled Vinegar!" I applied it with a liberally soaked terrycloth towel, and some scrubbing later, the decal just came off in flakes.
    WD40 is very good with adhesives, try it first. But the vinegar even does RUST! (Un-does, I meant)
    Let us know, please...works for me...

16. dan31

dan31

They work great . We used them at the shop to remove truck lettering a lot. Napa sells them . "goof off" gets rid of any left over sticky stuff.

17. It will remove primer,it's softer than the one shot. HRP

18. JimSibley

JimSibley

Napa sells an eraser wheel for stripe tape. Mounts to a drill. Won't hurt the paint.

Chris and low budget like this.
  19. We just put 'em on, you have to take 'em off... ;)

20. Been using EZ OFF oven cleaner for decades. Clean removal every time.

lurker mick and metalhotrodgirl like this.
  21. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

EZ Off - colors differ - I think white was the easiest - red the hardest - I did my '50 shoebox - black lacquer paint (very old) One Shot pin striping was pretty old too - some famous striper in Kentucky done it, but it fit the car that well - just be patience and it should come right off.