Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '56 Chevy wiring harness for '56 Olds?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Dad Was A Racer, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This goes out to any/all of you that have had the fun of building a '56 Olds... I have a four-door Super 88 project car that's going to need new wiring. I'll be converting over quire a few systems on the car including Vintage Air and power windows. I'm wondering if a '56 Chevy wiring harness will be close enough in general lengths and connections to work properly so that I can get the advantage of blade fuses, better flashers and relays, etc?

2. squirrel

squirrel

you will probably be better off getting a universal harness instead. An old is NOT a chevy, the wiring is not the same.

The universal harness will hopefully have long enough wires, and the extra circuits you need.

56 chevys didn't even come with a fuse panel, unless you ordered a few accessories, like radio, heater, etc.

3. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To clarify, I would use an "updated" harness from American Autowire with a late model style fuse panel, etc. not an OEM '56 Chevy harness.

4. squirrel

squirrel

Same thing applies, the wires won't be in the right places, or the right lengths. You want a longer harness that you can run the wires where they need to go.

5. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

I second the doubt a '56 Chevy harness will fit at all. Being specific means the wires of the harness will be disigned for the position of the components and cut to the respective length. Therefore not fit at all in most cases.
    At Fusick you can get an exact replacement harness for your Olds - including air con and electric windows/seats etc... but they are very expensive though.
    I'm planning on using an universal harness set from RebelWire/EasyWire or similar for my BIG '56 Ninety-Eight for exactly these cost reasons...

6. What Squirrel said.

Ben

Corvette Fever likes this.
  7. You probably want a 22 circuit harness. I have a 14 circuit in my '59 Ford and I still have a couple of things not hooked up. I went with a Kwik Wire and it ran me about $275, instructions were quite good. I bought their dimmer switch and HL switch too.

8. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Why don't call AAW and tell them what you want to do? I'm sure they have a solution that will work specifically for your Olds and similarly priced to your idea of adapting the Chevy to the Olds.

9. I'm with these guys. Get a decent 22 circuit harness. Build it yourself.