Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***October 2017 Banger Meet - Not Frightening***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Sep 30, 2017.

1. how do I pressure test my Winfield head for leaks? I am not sure if I am seeing cracks and it they are cracks how bad the would leak. What sort of place can do this testing if I can't at home?

2. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Take it to an automotive machine shop. Make sure they use hot water. I used pressurized IRONTITE to seal them ... stuff works well but again better done by someone with experience.
    How are you sure it's the head and not something else.... seeping gasket, sleeve leak, lottsa places to leak. Is the oil a funny color? White smoke outta the tail pipe?

Old Dawg likes this.
  3. I have never run it, going on looks.

Attached Files:

4. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

So even though the Phaeton is for sale I continue to drive and tinker with it.
    I need help with what initial timing should be and at what RPM.
    I have a Mallory Distributor from Bubba's and a Nu-rex degree indication bolted on to the timing gear cover and the crank pulley is marked for TDC. I set it up using the stock model A cap and the Nu-Rex wrench and it starts and runs fine but I would like to put a timing gun on it to be a bit more precise. I have a lion speed head running premium (93 Octane) gas. Thanks.

5. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I like to set mine at 8 degrees initial with a total advance of 28 - 30 degrees total all in by 2000 rpm.

Sent from my SM-J320P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ROCKER77 and Dannerr like this.
  6. MJW

MJW
    from NJ

Thanks.

7. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

That is a safe initial and 28-30 won't hurt anything as long as the fuel is good and not smelling like varnish.....

Old Dawg and Dannerr like this.
  8. It's nice to be "Precise", but it comes down to valve timing...Your cam...Even if you know it's make or maker, sometimes the lobes are warn (or different than the grinder put in his literature) There's also the chance the the cam GEAR is "clocked" different than you think..Try setting the throttle at a good operating r.p.m. (ex. 3000). Rotate the distributor until you get best (and even) r.p.m. Then check it with your timing light. You might be surprised.

Dannerr likes this.
  9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Pulled the engine from the Zipper a year ago September to install a new clutch. Finally got everything back together and fired it up Wednesday. Installed new motormount rubber along with spindles, hubs, brake drums, steering arms and replaced the friction shocks with rear shocks from an MG Midget/AH Sprite. No more death wobble at 65 MPH. Didn't do all that much, but it runs and drives better than ever.

Dannerr, waxhead, Old Dawg and 2 others like this.
  10. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

IMG_7407.JPG Went for probably the last roadster spin this fall. Weather's supposed to turn to crap in the next day or do. I've got plenty to do on it this winter.

GASSERBOB, burl, Dannerr and 4 others like this.
  11. Looks like an old weld, if it is painted scrape some paint off and look for braze. I think I bought it's twin about 20 yaers ago at the Long Beach swap!

12. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Bill, that looks to be Aluminum on jim1932's Winfield(either that or he's polished the Hell out of it!!)

13. It's an iron head, might have silver paint on it. looks like someone tried to coat it with something. I'll wire brush it this afternoon.

14. 5280A2

5280A2

The Mallory distributors that Bubba modifies come with a stop that limits the mechanical advance to 24 degrees. The first thing you should do is contact Bubba and find out if he leaves the stop in place. Knowing that will help you decide how much initial timing (if any) that you want. I have an aluminum Winfield with the crows foot chamber and run mine with the initial setting at TDC. Keep your total advance below 30 degrees as noted by others; too much advance can contribute to a broken crankshaft.

MJW and ROCKER77 like this.
  15. MJW

MJW
    from NJ

Need to check my notes and correspondence with Jim, I seem to recall mine is set for max 28 but that could be the Mag. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

So I am looking at purchasing an old weiand head.Two of the spark plug holes have been inserted for 14 mm plugs.The other two holes are either 5/8 -18 or M16 x 1.5.I would like to use all of the same spark plugs when I run this so I was thinking about fixing the other two holes.Anybody have any knowledge of what thread it is ?When I google thread repair theres lots of information on fixing the newer ford plug hole issues but nothing on this.Looks like theres a thread insert available to go from 16mm to 14 mm.Just checking to see if anybody else has had to make this fix. weiand 1.jpg weiand 2.jpg

17. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Well crap, I ws literally headed home from my fabulous fall colors picture:rolleyes: when I accelerated up to the shop I got two REALLy loud backfires! Then quit. Thought the timing cam had slipped, so I went to re-set the timing and the dist shaft didn't move.... Ruh Roh! Like I said, plenty to do on it this winter! Binger, I'll be re'ing your T5 posts! IMG_7440.JPG

18. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

P. S. - does anyone have the cam gear socket? This thing is $%#*€$+ really tight! Thanks!

19. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

You should replace it with a bronze gear from Dan McEachern

Old Dawg and Jet96 like this.
  20. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Ditto on the bronze gear. Bert's Model A (800-321-1931) has the tool for around $12.

Jet96 and Old Dawg like this.
  21. Time for a visit to the dentist

Jet96, Dannerr and Old Dawg like this.
  22. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am not sure about the stripped plug holes but is that a crack where the water neck attaches? Is this head aluminum or iron?

23. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Its a aluminum head.The plug holes are not stripped but are a different size than the other two that are 14mm.No cracks in this head just some casting imperfections.

Binger likes this.
  24. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Sorry to hear that Grady. I would just get the right tool from Berts. I love dealing them. If you have any question about the T-5 and what I did let me know. Also there is good thread called "Jeep t-5 to torque tube" or something like that. The adapter that was featured initially isnt being made by @Crazydaddyo any longer. But at the end of the thread there is a couple of guys making one. Good luck!!

Jet96 and ROCKER77 like this.
  25. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I would try and find adapters to run all 14 MM plugs. I know some of the model A suppliers carry these adapters.

26. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

The Brillman company does lots of plug adapters. I had some chev 4 to 14mm from them. Great service

27. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

here are a handful of bangers from the RPM nationals on Saturday. there were quite a few but I was taking everything in and only grabbed a few pics
    DSCN5904.JPG DSCN5909.JPG DSCN5912.JPG DSCN5914.JPG DSCN5920.JPG

Dannerr, woodz, Jet96 and 1 other person like this.
  28. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

29. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Cool pics, thanks for posting them ROCKER77

ROCKER77 likes this.
  30. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Thanks Rocker for taking time to show us these . Bad ass pictures. Bob...................

ROCKER77 likes this.