Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Turn Signal Options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LM14, Oct 25, 2017.

1. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Did some searching, been watching the headlight stand and headlight style threads. Haven't found an answer yet. Did see some old Harley tear drop lights hanging under the headlight that looked nice and complimented the shape of the headlight. What is everyone doing for turn signals on the front of their cars?

Specifically, I'm building a '32 5 window hiboy. Planning on Dietz headlights with H-4 bulbs sitting in Pete and Jakes combined headlight/shock mount welded to the frame.

[​IMG]
    Don't like the "yellow slice across the bottom of the lens" style (looks like it's part full of dirty water).

Don't like the square Honda motorcycle style hanging off somewhere (too 70's street rod).

Don't like the lights build into the spreader bar (too 90's street rod).

Have to get something that will pass state inspection so the smaller yellow bulb added to the halogen socket won't work. Not having them won't pass inspection so no title.

I've wondered about the jumbo LED gauge warning lights. Maybe mounted in the front edge of the frame rail. From Speedway site: ....1" LED replacement lights. O.D. is 1-3/8" and total length is 2".
    60452_L_40910dc9-1b14-49eb-9e86-b54ce81d4717.jpg
    Ideas? What has worked and what has failed for you?

Thanks in advance,
    SPark

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

slap some ugly crap on it, get the title, take the ugly crap off.

3. BLC 904-A lights aren't very distracting.

4. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

004.JPG
    I had these somewhat vintage clearance lights so I used them. Might not be for everyone but I like them. Please forgive the dirt and bugs.

Gary

5. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Not a fan of the yellow slice on the bottom either. Pacific has some with clear LEDs on the bottom. You can see them, but they’re unobtrusive.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. clem

clem

I put them in the cowl lights, but you may not want to run cowl lights.

7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

For a full-fendered application, I found some teardrop-shaped marker lights intended to go on top of the fenders. Apparently French-made, c.1930, painted soft copper body with thick glass lens. The plan is to fit amber bulbs, so they only display the colour when lit.

Edit: they seem to be a copy of the British CAV "Torpedo" light, though the mounting base is different:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    brigrat, kadillackid, Kume and 2 others like this.
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sounds like a plan to me!

What about those LED lighted tag bolts? I think you can get them in several colors. Simple bracket with the bolt in it.

nochop likes this.
  9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think some of the Harley turn signals look like they might work pretty well. I could see a set of these mounted on a front spreader bar or on the frame rails.

TS-027-Black-1__49901.1499684345.1280.1280.jpg

dana barlow and patmanta like this.
  10. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

This might be the street-roddy look you don't want, but I tried to blend these in the best I could. Lousy pic before I mounted the fender, but they are bright and can't be missed. Park and turn circuits and the LED's are clear not yellow when unlit so not too obvious.
    [​IMG]

dana barlow likes this.
  11. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Thanks for the replies so far!

I ordered a set of 1" LED gauge warning lights to play with. See if I can semi-hide them.

The Harley lights might have promise, too.

Thanks all,
    SPark

12. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg Amber lens stick out like dog balls. If Surounded by some chrome, a white lens will sort of blend in and get lost. When turn signals were first offered by Detroit, they all had white (clear) lens. A number of years later the amber lens thing started. Don't know if a clear lens is legal, but that is what I have on my coupe.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    dana barlow and LOST ANGEL like this.
  13. ....wanted front turnsignals on my coupe, used these old style clearance lites, don't think they look so bad...
    37 cpe 4-14=12 006.jpg

nochop, chryslerfan55 and squirrel like this.
  14. clem

clem

D6DAFB37-D1C6-4DBB-B23C-2CD54FABC629.jpeg

I searched some classic motor bike shops and found these cheap chrome ones, with halogen bulbs. Brighter than most modern cars.

15. Here are some Rocky posted for his 34 coupe. They're on E-Gay
    [​IMG]

Some more on that auction site. $26.99
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mimic the shape of 682-J's

dana barlow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. I turned a set of BLC fog lights into combination running lights/turn signals. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    brigrat, WillyKJr, Never2low and 7 others like this.
  17. sunbeam

sunbeam

I've seen cab marker lights used as turn signals they come in several styles. there are some smoke colored ones that you would not even notice on a black surface.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. Check out a Grote 49363 LED lamp. Mounts in 3/4" hole very small, low profile, but bright. Made with a hi/low wiring so you can use them for parking lights also. When lit... you'll get seen!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. reefer

reefer

image.jpg I used some old vintage side lights..they had opaque glass lens and I fitted orange bulbs...you could not see the Orange until illuminated....you can also get clear/ silver bulbs that flash orange.

20. I used these for my turn signals front and back. A very handy item in todays traffic. JW
    [​IMG]

21. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

It's a European thing. European turn signals were always amber, front and rear, since they succeeded semaphore arms and such arrangements. In Britain at least there had been a requirement for sidelights, either on the cowl, fender tops, or body corners in the case of pontoon-bodied cars, to make it easier to judge the width a vehicle at night, and it became obvious to integrate front turn signals into them. Apparently the reason the earliest Austin Sevens had their headlights on the cowl was to obviate the need for separate sidelights.

In the '70s US-spec European cars had white front and red rear lenses which were different from the European spec, plus amber side marker lights which weren't required in Europe. One is tempted to see that as an attempt on the part of Detroit to raise the cost threshold on imports. Then American European-car fans began to sneak in retrofitted Euro-spec bits, and so it became a thing.

I agree that amber lenses jar. I can't see amber bulbs behind clear lenses being a legal problem, as many OEMs do it that way. There are amber bulbs with reflective domes which look like chrome spheres when not lit.

ckdesigns likes this.
  22. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

23. I flash the headlights on all my cars. Avoids the ugly altogether. Use a solid state flasher so the resistor value isn't a critical issue.

headlight flasher circuit.jpg headlight flasher.jpg

24. upspirate

upspirate

IMG_0645.JPG Ordered these out of a catalog at a Harley shop...Kinda mimic the shape of the headlights.....I liked them IMG_0644.JPG IMG_0646.JPG .

25. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Guide B-31 lights for my Roadster project 20171027_095652.jpg 20171027_100255.jpg

26. SEEKONK JIM

SEEKONK JIM

JUST STICK YOUR LEFT ARM OUT THE WINDOW.....UP LEFT DOWN RIGHT...EASY....

nochop and Chili Phil like this.
  27. Say, what?

28. squirrel

squirrel

I guess it depends where you live? in AZ it's up for right turn, straight out for left turn, down for stopping.

But most folks think you're waving to them, or maybe pointing at a squirrel, when you use hand signals

29. That's the kind of info that will win you the $500,000 level on 'Who Want's to be a Millionaire"!

slowmotion likes this.