Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Shipment of a 1940 Ford front door - Grayhound

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MIKE STEWART, Oct 26, 2017.

1. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

I am looking to ship a 1940 Ford Door from Southern California to North Carolina - near Charlotte, NC. Seller wants to ship Grayhound .

Any thoughts - good / bad. I saw this on one of TV shows to ship body parts cheaper - never tried it.

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes, they can't really track it and the bus terminal is always in a sketchy part of town, but other than that it usually works pretty well. Fastenall will ship odd ball stuff too.

Good luck, -Abone.

LOU WELLS and MIKE STEWART like this.
  3. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

In my case... Greyhound BLOWS!!!!! Their tracking system is third world quality. Id rather smash my finger in the english wheel than deal with those idiots again. You asked.

czuch, Nailhead Jason, haring and 3 others like this.
  4. greybeard360

greybeard360

I shipped 2 fiberglass 53 Ford front fenders packed in a well padded large box from Ft Worth to Chicago... Took a few days but arrived in tact. We used to ship things like engine blocks to mouldings and never had a problem.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

MIKE STEWART likes this.

5. gschwen

gschwen
    from Hemet

I've used them a bunch of times to ship oversized stuff for my other hobbies. Tracking can be a bit hit and miss and pick up/drop off at the terminal can be a pain, but they get the job done. I might be a little concerned shipping things that are breakable (like the window glass), as the people handling your stuff don't look at handling your stuff as their primary business, but if you pack it well you should be OK.

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  6. BigJim394

BigJim394

I have done it many times. You ship from a Greyhound Express terminal to another such terminal and the person picks it up there. You can get the locations on their website. They do not deliver to homes or bus stops.
    The box has to be open / unsealed when you bring it to the terminal so they can inspect the contents. They always wanted payment in cash, exact cash.
    Always worked well for me, and delivery was fast...like 2 days from Mass to Fla.

7. I agree with the tracking being hit and miss. But I've shipped a transmission as well as some other large parts and never had a problem.

8. yep....you can track the bus better....just do yer homework....most have a steady route....the part doesn't get off until the location....

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That tracking would work if the bus was going a from LA to Las Vegas, however a trip from Socal to North Carolina will have the parcel likely transferring to multiple buses. It may also sit in a terminal for several days along the way until cargo compartment space permits as passenger luggage takes precedence over parcels.

My luck has been 100% having sheet metal shipped Greyhound Express.

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  10. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

I had two '41 Ford pickup doors shipped from RI ro GA. Initially, I was talking to a non-greyhound carrier that was an affiliate of some sort. I didn't know they were an affiliate as I was booking through the Greyhound site. They would not take a package over 50 pounds. When I went direct to Greyhound (had to go to another city nearby), the shipment worked great. I also just had a 700 pound engine shipped from Minneapolis to GA by Fastenal. Great service and quick. In all cases I would pack well to prevent damage from mishandling - just expect that and you won't be surprised.

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’d use Fastenal.
    It’s pretty reasonable and a lot more reliable.

haring likes this.
  12. haring

haring

I’ve used both Greyhound and Fastenal. Greyhound is cheaper but impossible to track. I had a set of seats go missing for three months and they said “not our problem”. Fastenal is much more reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Fedcospeed likes this.
  13. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

i had a trunk lid shipped from north Dakota to Connecticut. . i called at one point to track the shipment and after getting transferred to 3 different call centers, nobody had any clue where it was. it arrived a few days later with no damage from shipping so i was happy. i would use them again, but would understand the tracking is second rate.....john

14. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

And when it goes "missing" it ends up down in the Dallas unclaimed center and is then put up for auction. Ask me how I know. Look up my thread on these clowns:mad: The only way I got my decklid was it showed up on ebay again.

15. Put the address on the item itself. and then put the address on the package in a couple places. This way if the package get tore up a bit your azz is covered.

16. There is a website...busfreighter.com that gives cheaper rates then going to the terminal. You arrange the shipment on the site, then take the freight ticket and item to the greyhound terminal.

I have used grayhound quite a bit. Never had an issue.

Pineapple's46 likes this.
  17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great tip. As well as the part itself, also insist the shipper write your address in felt pen on the box too. I did have one snafu. Had a guy ship a 51 Mercury door to me from the Midwest. I tracked it and after about a week it showed it had only traveled about 300 miles. I assumed their (poor) tracking system was simply lagging.
    The seller had taped the shipping label (destination address) on the box and it became detached in transit. Well, he worked in the parts dept. at a Ford dealership and shipped my door in a repurposed Ford parts door box. Some good Sam at Greyhound noticed the Ford dealership addy on the box and shipped it (back) to the Ford dealership. My seller arrives at work one day at the dealership about a week after he shipped the door and sees my parcel in the incoming parts and wonders what the hell is going on! No note on the parcel or anything. He updates me and takes it back to Greyhound and they reship to me.
    Nobody's fault really, but someone at Greyhound went the extra mile, as it could have just been sent to the unclaimed file.

czuch likes this.
  18. nickleone

nickleone

I am in the shipping business. Greyhound tracking is hit or miss.
    Brown boxes have a fuzz(for want of a better term) on them that
    causes a label to come off easily. If you use stick on labels put clear packing tape over it. Put labels in multiple locations on the box.
    Max size for Greyhound is 83x47x30 max 100#
    I sent some chairs to NYC to the office building above the Greyhound station. It took a few weeks to get it delivered.
    If you use BUSFREIGHTER you get labels from them. Use them.
    Nick

19. Hendee

Hendee

I’ve used Greyhound several times for 32 seat frames and a set of 5w doors. Seat frame from Chicago, doors from Cali, both all the way to N.NY. As others have said the tracking online sucks. But, each time my stuff arrived undamaged. I have the shipper mark my name and phone number all over the box and inside as well. Make it easy to keep from getting messed up. Tip for you shipping a door. The guy that shipped me my ‘32-5w doors packaged them inside a couple of good wooden skids with slats added to the back side after the doors were put inside, then wrapped up with lots of packing wrap. Heavy yes but not overweight and kept my doors perfect. Happy to use GH again next time I need it.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll second that, Very Happy with Fastenal, 1938 Ford hood & two front fenders from Michigan to Connecticut border for around $200.00, happy with my Greyhound deals in the past as well. That door should fit inside two bicycle boxes FREE from your local bike shop.

Bob

Hendee likes this.
  21. Bikelessbill

Bikelessbill

Just recently had 2 Model A doors shipped from Illinois to me in Tennessee. UPS did it for $50.00.

22. haring

haring

Dang! That’s terrible.

Greyhound’s excuse is that once the package goes on a bus, it’s the responsibility of the driver, who can actually choose to leave it behind for another bus. You can’t track it and no one claims responsibility. That seems like a totally ridiculous business model.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have shipped several pieces on Grayhound without an issue but freight will get bumped for passenger luggage.
    Shipped a 51 Mercury coupe door to New Jersey without an issue.
    I've never been asked to open the box to show them what was inside but always have been asked what was inside.
    I have used furniture boxes never thinking about the bicycle boxes.
    No matter who you ship with snag all of the styrofoam blocks and sheets you can find. That stuff fills space in the box but doesn't add appreciable weight and doesn't get wet if the package happens to get rained on or otherwise get wet.
    Put handholds on the box so who ever has to handle it can handle it easily. Not many things that are a bigger pain in the ass than a big box with no handholds to grab hold of.

The37Kid likes this.
  24. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

Up date on my Greyhound shipment. Seller sent to NC on Wed. from LA - California. The 1940 driver door made it to N. Spencer, NC - about 45 miles due north from Charlotte, NC, on Saturday about 3:00 pm. I got a phone call to pick up this door. Shipping was $80.00 and the door was mostly wrapped it bubble wrap - with a shipping label attached. The Greyhound terminal was really a corner of a convience store the low rent district of town. I did paypal - seller wanted regular VISA - but if needed - I could void the pay pal transaction easier. No real complains - the door was leaning against the unopened beer cases at the "terminal". To most people - looked like a bubble wrapped junk yard door, no real high theift item. I would not ship this way for a valuable item - OK for this door.

25. 42merc

42merc

26. nickleone

nickleone

I was a regular Greyhound Package Express shipper.
    If it is not in a "box" filing a claim will get you nowhere.
    Nick

27. Miked0002

Miked0002

Check out uShip. I deliver things on there. You may get lucky and find someone coming across the country already that’ll ship it cheap

28. Miked0002

Miked0002

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. oldsman41

oldsman41

few years back i had two model a doors shiped from cali to ohio by the hound they did fine.