Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Long lost funny car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vern210, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Vern210

Vern210

I am looking for some help fellas. This is a long story that I will try to keep short. I am looking for a Ken Cox built funny car that raced in the 70's and early 80''s Southern California. The car was "Bracket Fever" raced by John Lodwick and Mike Cotter. John Lodwick would have been my father in law but passed when my now wife was 3 years old. If anyone has any info please help. I am trying to locate this car for two reasons. It would be nice to have a piece of her family's history and I wouldn't mind getting the family back in to racing. I found a picture of the car at www.draglist.com Any would help. Thank you

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. raven

raven

You link is to the homepage of the site. Maybe you could link to the actual picture to help out in the search.
    r

Offset and loudbang like this.
  3. Vern210

Vern210

4. Vern210

Vern210

It looks by searching "Mike Cotter" on draglist, the car was last ran competitively in 1990.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that is one of those sites that always kicks back to the home page when you try to post a link to a specific page. Had that happen a few times.

The name "Bracket Fever" sounds like it may have been running in one of the faster bracket racing classes. I've seen some obsolete for fuel class cars running in the brackets with gas engines around here in the past. A Vega Funny car might pop some memories though. Good looking car that looks like it may have run an unblown engine. Bracket Fever.jpg Bracket Fever.jpg
    It would help guys a lot to know what strips the car ran at or at least some of them. Guys who either raced at or spectated at one of those strips might remember the car.
    As far as finding it as it was, remember that funny cars probably got changed around year to year and owner to owner a lot more than other classes. That car could have a completely different body on it now and be racing every week at a local track and you wouldn't recognize it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    quick85 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I clicked twice on that upload but so be it. Great looking car.

7. Vern210

Vern210

I'm pretty sure the car ran mainly at Pomona. Yeah I understand it''s common to sell or rebody a funny car. This is a long shot for sure but I have to try.

8. Vern210

Vern210

I also think it's a great looking car. If the car ends up totaled or it is not found, I may try to replicate the paint on a non funny car chassis. There is a local guy here who used to photograph for Car Craft or Hot Rod, I can't remember which. He is a wealth of knowledge and is on the H.A.M.B...Don Green

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Vern210

Vern210

Thank you for posting the picture.

10. Vern210

Vern210

Ha is that Farm Truck in the background?

loudbang likes this.
  11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^Nah, that's a Ford P/U Truck in the background^^^^. Farm Truck has a 2 tone, white and red paint job on it's Chevrolet body. Old Funny Cars, Bracket Racers they become. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When the chassis is safety certified, do all of the prior certs get recorded? In other words, if the car is currently certified could it be looked up through the sanctioning body? The original chassis builder might be a place to start.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Love those body styles and they sure make a great looking funny car.
    Jimbo

14. RmK57

RmK57

I wonder if it's Barry Setzer's old Vega, sure looks like it.

tommyd likes this.
  15. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

SFI cert program did not start till the early/mid 90's and they dont ask for history on the forms.
    Ken Cox passed away many years ago and all assets were liquidated. I do own the jig table it was made on, Ken realized it was more profitable to make parts for others then to build cars and chassies

16. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Those were Buttera cars and not Cox

loudbang likes this.
  17. Vern210

Vern210

Thanks guys for all of the interest and info. It is much appreciated. The great thing is that my wife and her side of the family have no clue that Im looking for it. I will put up a picture of the altered they used to run as well. Same color but the name was "Bracket Rat". Both are incredible looking cars.

18. Great looking car. I hope you find it.

19. Vern210

Vern210

Thank you. I hope we do find it.

20. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I can't help with any info, but want to wish you good luck in finding it or what happened to it!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  21. Vern210

Vern210

Dick, thank you for the kind thoughts. I will go a little more in to this story. Family and the history is very important to my wife. I found that when we met, her father was the last male that would carry on the Lodwick name sake. He had no boys before he passed. I asked her grandmother if I could take the last name when we got married. I took her last name because I could not trace my family history but to my grandmother. I now have two boys that will carry on the Lodwick name. Another driving force to find this car and pass it on as it should. So thank you all for the fine words and good wishes.

saltracer219, 62hotcat, egads and 2 others like this.
  22. Vern210

Vern210

This was the "Bracket Rat" they ran as well

Attached Files:

1934coupe and TFoch like this.
  23. Vern210

Vern210

I know the car wasn't famous or anything but I thought someone would recognize it.

24. Vern210

Vern210

Well I have some news....I guess bad news is better than no news. I was able to get in contact with Mike Cotters son. I was told that the enclosed trailer that the Vega was in was stolen. I guess the car would most likely get parted out and cut up. I guess its on to replicate the car now. Thank you for all your help.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  25. pitman

pitman

images.jpg Given the number of eyes here, it is likely to show up. Like your idea none the less!
    (Reg Bernier found the former 'Country Girl'
    Mopar body, languishing under a tree in Maine. He dragged it home, called John Knox, and after cleaning/repair was done?
    Gave it to him. John's wife Rodelyn drove.
    Their son Brian builds hemis for Unltd tractor pull chassies.) Best of luck!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    chryslerfan55, TFoch and loudbang like this.
  26. Vern210

Vern210

Thanks pitman. The car and trailer were stolen in the 90's. A re-body would have been the easy was to keep it racing as they didn't have serial numbers or vin #

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  27. mopacltd

mopacltd

I owned one of this era and body style funny cars. Was told it was an old Ken Veney car, but never did any search to be sure. Sold the car and delivered it to Tijuana in '78 or '79. I lost all my pictures in the Yarnell Hill Fire in 2013 so I won't be able to show you pictures of the car I owned for you to verify anything unique or something that might ring a bell from the car you are looking for. Hell, I can't even remember who I bought it from.

28. Vern210

Vern210

This car ran up till the early 90s by Mike Cotter. Unfortunately I have only seen this car in the two online pictures I have found. I do appreciate your help though. The funny this is as I was looking around more today, I found a new picture on line. A southern California photographer had it on line. I can and will order prints of it.

pitman, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. mopacltd

mopacltd

Bob Johnson who lives in Lancaster, CA. is and was a longtime NHRA photographer may have some pictures you can purchase also.

loudbang likes this.
  30. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

good luck in your search. sure would be great to find the original, but a copy would help fill the hole.