Register now to get rid of these ads!

Road trip to viva

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BEDSLEAD, Apr 17, 2006.

1. BEDSLEAD

BEDSLEAD
    from ONTARIO CA

For some reason this years trip seemed rough for a lot of people. Through out the weekend I heard stories of blown tires , carbs acting up , breaks giving out oil pump problems and more..
    My big problems were shifter linkages binding and a hole blewout on the side of my intake mainafold ( JB weld and walmart in barstow saved the day)
    also my calipers started to stick. I made it ok with just minor set backs.
    So lets hear the stories and adventures.

2. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

yeah- from the looks of the cars at the show about 10 of them were having auto trans problems........ We fought the wind the entire 430 miles back home, and that's quite hard on mechanical components trying to overcome

3. hellbound gasser

hellbound gasser

Snapped the mag 7 mi. out of Baker. Right above the gear. Only thing i could think was that, after sitting in traffic for 3 hours to go 20miles just before baker, the mag got heat soaked and temporarily locked up or bound up right when there was enough open space for me to finally blow out the plugs. Stayed at Arne's Royal Hawaiian that night, local repair shop guy let me store the car in his yard for the night and then ordered an HEI for me from barstow and let me fix it in his yard. Only took me 6 hours to get to vegas this year, +/- 1 day.

By the way, Arne's is exactly as you would imagine inside, minus the magic fingers bed (they get the bedbugs to do it for free)

4. BEDSLEAD

BEDSLEAD
    from ONTARIO CA

Damn that sucks but just the kind of road stories i was looking for.

5. GamblinAJ

GamblinAJ
    from Corona Ca

My ride was uneventfull.....lost 3rd gear syncro(I belive) on the way up so I had to hold down on the shifter all the way from Baker to Vegas and all the way home..The rest of my club came up friday. Ed broke the gear on the distributor, about 5 miles from the GC so they trailered the last few miles we fixed that saturday and as another member went to a photo shoot with his truck he snapped the clutch cable. Couldn't get it repaired so it was put on the trailer for the ride home. And Wind man it was bad all the way back today...but no traffic on mondays..I recomend anyone leaving vegas to LA go home on monday what a breeze.......

6. LIL' AL

LIL' AL
    from RENO

We had a decent trip down, but the trip home was terrible! Wind like you wouldn't believe! And to top that,In Fernly we ran into SNOW! Almost a total white-out on into Reno!VLV was great though! AL

7. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

blew a radiator 21 miles the AZ side of the hoover, but BLEH (on the hamb) and his fantastic radiator shop "NEVADA RADIATOR" GOT ME IN AND OUT IN A JIFFY FOR LOW BUCKS!... can say enough good things about them!

but if you want bad stories,.....ask the real GOOD ones....

" who thinks the security at the gold coast were a buncha dicks this year at viva?"

one asshole security guard wouldnt let us back up to finish breaking down out vender stuff. he knew we were going in and out and running the stuff in the truck to the rio, but then said," nope thats it. if you want it out your gonna have to walk it out... no vehicles are coming back in!"

let me tell how nice it is to walk 75lb boxes of PalmAid down flights of stairs!

8. axle

axle
    from Drag City

one asshole security guard wouldnt let us back up to finish breaking down out vender stuff. he knew we were going in and out and running the stuff in the truck to the rio, but then said," nope thats it. if you want it out your gonna have to walk it out... no vehicles are coming back in!"

i had a meeting regarding your situation .next year all car show vendors will receive a colored piece of paper pass to allow vendors re entry after the show is over. sorry you experienced this. we are fine tuning a few things but over all the new rules made for a better and SAFER show.

9. Retrorod

Retrorod

With no shake down miles on the Flower Roadster Truck it made the round trip with nothing more than a little leaked oil and splashed coolant from the Baker grade. Our chase '35 sedan and '51 shoebox also made th trip unharmed although at 12:30 am Saturday the fuel pump relay quit on the '35 sedan.....just as we entered the Rio parking lot. Got it fixed the next morning.

10. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

I have to agree my 50 ford had a lil trouble.. I lost a distributor b4 I even left
    town on thursday! Thanks to lil al for the road side help!!

11. bizcoupeguy

bizcoupeguy

where do i begin? there were six of us going from southern oregon on the I-5 on our way down through mc cloud, susanville, all the way down. first of all here's the list of vehicles: '33 plymouth 5 window-pontiac 455, 37 ford truck-350 chevy, 57 chevy-350 chevy, 32 ford truck-440 mopar, 39 chevy truck-350 chevy, and my 57 ford-390FE. all of us have been building like crazy and trouble shooting to make it to vegas for months. one guy finished his from a scratch build in about 6 weeks. all of us had "new" motors with an average of 200 miles on each one. 20 minutes out of town in the siskiyou pass, mopar trans takes a dump, fluid everywhere, re route tranny cooler. again in weed california, fluid everywhere. we all get to reno for the night without incident. next day, 39 chevy loses 3rd gear, re route tranny cooler. 20 miles later for gas, 57 chevy won't start, re wire, by pass blah blah blah. meanwhile back in reno 32 truck gets rebuild tranny 3rd time in 2 weeks. we end up in vegas to receive sunburns, leave town on sunday, most of us with 2nd degree burns. somewhere 40 miles or so from tonopah, 57 chevy blows rearend, mopar with new tranny tows chevy to hawthorne, we split into two teams of 3. i am in the lead team with 37 ford and 39 chevy, we end up driving through white out blizzard and into fallon. a phone call shortly after saying, 32 ford truck wire fire, 33 plymouth now towing both rigs. piss on them, we take off for reno (30 miles south looks fine, although we heard of snow) sure enough, two open wheel hot rod trucks and myself in the 57 ford doin 20 miles an hour in a snowstorm on in to reno. we call for backup, from medford a pal showed up with trailer to tow 57 chevy home and we left the mopar with driver and girlfriend to rot in fallon. we all made it home on monday evening and are going to think twice before ever leaving town again

12. Eryk

Eryk

...wow.

13. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

lets see it starts off with about 80 miles of rain,so its 8 cars (30 model a,60 chevy wagon,52 ford truck,54 ford topless,50 ford sedan no side glass,64 catalina,54 chevy no side glass no rear glass,and a 50 chevy hard top). one rent a car two pitbulls,and a 20 ft tiki on a triler,all in all it was a great road trip.my 54 got a front flat tire,and i ran out of gas on the free way one exit from the gold coast.my wifes catalina got a rear flat in bakersfield with arron"50 chevy" behind the wheel,the shoe box threw a rod 10 miles from the gold coast,"notebooms""our hero"had it towed to the top of the gold coast garage so it could rest in peace...so i guess things could have been worse for us .

14. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Some challenges, Alex, but I had a great time on the road trip. If was great driving out with Alex, 50Chevy, the Road Zombies and SJ crew. Driving next to Woody over the 152 pass, seeing him ruling over the weather in his topless '54 with that rain suit on in the pouring rain was classic...

My 60 Wagon ran great... just banged up my idler arm on the front suspension a bit when I got about airborn in a crazy ass dip on I-15.

We may have had a couple challenges over the 1300 miles back and forth from SJ, but I wouldnt trade that for the trailer queens we passed on the way for anything. As Alex says-- we drive the shit out of our cars!

-scott noteboom

15. LuckyBastardMiguel

LuckyBastardMiguel

Shit man on the way to Vegas a buddy of mine got a flat T/A help us out at barstow and on the way home going down El Cajon pass the hood on my buddy's 55 chevy truck flew right open on us so we pulled over and jumped on it to try to straighten out but it was fucked up already so we drove for like 10 more miles and it came up again so we decide to take it off and drive the rest of way home with out it so if you where on the 210 freeway you probably seen it on the side of the road

16. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

yes we had a great time a little missunderstanding :) on the way home but feel the same as you.are you gona be ready for paso?:)

17. slammy

slammy

Sorry to hear about your rough trip; but that description is classic! LMAO!

18. 17 hours from San Jose to Vegas..... :mad:

1 blowout on Mac's Trailer..... :eek:

MOOBS!! :eek:

Almost getting rearended by a dumbfuck in a BMW on his cellphone.... :mad:

Watching Mac 'manouvering' the trailer to assist the above mentioned dumbfuck into the median as RagDoll was telling him what the asshole did ;)

Listening to MrsA32, Brandy & RagDoll singing along to bad '80's songs....

Looking for a rest room for the gal's....

Hearing...... My cars overheating....do you have any oil? from a couple of Neon driving bimbos who were trying to get past all the traffic on Hwy 15 by driving down the shoulder.....Then seeing the big rig driver in front swerve to stop them....

Oh god I needed a drink when I got there....it was all downhill from there :rolleyes:

Looking forward to next year already :D

19. straybilly

straybilly
    from Denver

My Trip was filled with a dream finally happening...Three of us left Denver around the same time. Mike in his Buick,Jamison in his woody roadster, and me in what most of you hambers call a shit box. Mike made it there before us by about 8 hours in one piece. I got a phone call from Jamison about an hour from when we left that he was having a fuel issue going up I-70 so we waited in Glenwood Springs for him and rattle canned my car some more. He finally met up with us and we got out of Colorado. We were gassing up and I notice a small fuel leak coming from the line and it was no big deal as I just tightened the clamp some. We got to Mesquite to what I thought was to fuel up but nope Jamisons generator imploded...We waited for Triple A to come pick his ass up and we were off again. I was no longer in cruise mode I just wanted to get into our room so we sprinted in to Vegas. I just watched my feul gauge drop.
    So 20 hours later we finally made it!!! This is also on three hours of sleep from the night before. Weekend was a blast...Good friends...good beer...hott girls!
    I heard Mike was having some tranny problems with fluid or something. Jamison over the weekend got his generator fixed. We left Vegas about 2pm just in time to run into road closures...We hit Utah and guess what? Jamisons generator imploded again. Luckily there was a storage unit off the highway. where he currently has lease for two months...it sucks but it was a blessing.
    We pressed on only to hit snow on I-70 in Vail. Jamison would of just loved driving through that in a roadster *sarcasm*. I never hooked up my heater and my vacume operated windshield wipers took a dump on before we left. thank God for Rain-X. None of us had winter clothes which was fun in 10 degree weather. There is nothing like 20mph in a snowstorm in a rearwheel drive Hudson. Well my car of people finally got in Denver at about 7am.
    FYI my car was the triple colored Hudson Hornet from the show parked next to the icecream truck...I was having people sign the car. Well my shit box made my dreams come true with no problems on the road. I have always wanted to bring my Hornet to Viva ever since I went to the 3rd VivaLasVegas. I will be there next year too.
    -Johnathan
    P.S. 472 caddy motors rule!!!!

20. straybilly

straybilly
    from Denver

What no other storys? Good bad ugly? Man, has bench internet rodding died?