Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Morris Minor Gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Oct 22, 2016.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I dropped off my wounded block at the machine shop (one cylinder scored real bad and .100 over already) to see about putting a sleeve in the one hole and they say it will knock the cylinder next to it out of round.
    This is a 409 block so maybe it's different.....don't know.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

Some inspiration to keep you working. That is Linda Vaughn :)

13.JPG

roddering, Tutashen, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  3. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have been running sleeved blocks for years and never had an issue with the next one going out of round. Sounds like you need to find a different machine shop.
    I met Linda Vaughn in the 60's down at Miami- Hollywood speedway. She was with the Hurst golden shifter car. Nice lady.

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have talked to more than one with the same answer.
    I guess it depends on how much press fit they use.
    They talk about .003 to .005 out of round.

loudbang likes this.
  5. southcross2631

southcross2631

I always leave my final cleanup in the other holes until the sleeve is in. I still say that I have saved race blocks with sleeves with no issues.

6. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got a little done on the Morris Minor today . The rear housing and ladder bars are located and in the car. Still got some welding to do, but progress was made today. Two steps forward and one step back though. The drive shaft loop and center crossmember were in the way of the upper bars. So I added another crossmember and cut out the drive shaft loop. I will make plates for the frame rails and build a new loop later. 20171025_135949.jpg 20171025_140009.jpg

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got a little more done today. Worked on the front mounts for my ladder bars. Still got the braces underneath the mounting brackets to do. Excuse my ugly welds. I don't see as good as I used to.
    20171031_183139.jpg

8. WillyB

WillyB

That ladder bar top tube is going to pull on its front mount pretty hard?
    Lotsa ladder bars have xig xag fillers?

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

These are old school bars before the bridge work bars became popular. These will allow me to adjust pinion angle, wheel base , and change the instant center to control the wheel stands.

10. WillyB

WillyB

Still reminds me of the pump handle on a well jack.. lots of
    leverage on that front upper bar mount.

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

Quain has built a few of this same design bars for the south east gasser cars. They have way more power than my little Ford with no issues. The stress is on the front lower bar mount, that's why it has been sleeved and mounted in a piece of 1/4 inch steel drilled to fit the heim sleeve and then slotted into the front of the bar, Then welded. If I bend them or break the top bar mount, I will gladly beef them up because I built a badass 289 that is making way more power and getting way more grip than I expected.
    WillyB I hope that explanation allows you to sleep at night knowing that I have considered exactly what you are talking about.

12. WillyB

WillyB

Do you have any place to 'test and tune'?
    For example, the Big Daddy Dale Wilson Skull
    Garage cars get flogged in front of a church...
    (grin). Love their youtube videos.

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  13. kennyd

kennyd

What gauge / thickness is the rectangular tubing your using for your frame rails ? I'm pursuing a couple of different Anglia's . Hope to build my own frame if I'm lucky enough to get one of them.

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

2x3 x 1/8 in thick.

Doctorterry likes this.
  15. kennyd

kennyd

Thanks. Enjoying your build. Definitely not a cookie cutter car.

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  16. southcross2631

southcross2631

I will just be glad to finish the car I am working on so I can get back to it.

mad mikey and Fiddle Picker like this.
  17. southcross2631

southcross2631

It is with great sadness that I have to announce that my Morris Minor gasser project may be coming up for sale.
    I just got home from the hospital today after a heart catheterization test and found out I am going to have to go in for open heart surgery right after Christmas and will be down for quite a while and may never be able to drive the car even if I manage to get it finished.
    My wife and I were looking forward to moving back to Tenn. to be able to have short tows to the Southeast Gasser races. Now we are still going to move , but racing my Morris seems like a pipe dream.
    Most of the hard work is done. The frame and cage are built, The motor and trans mounts are in, The rear end is located and the ladder bars are built. the front axle is narrowed and hung.
    The body was stripped too bare metal and the body is in epoxy primer and comes with the paint to paint it. The tilt front end is built and fitted.
    It is setup for a small block Ford with a Top loader 4 speed and 9 inch Ford with 33 spline axles and spool. I have a freshly machined 289 and fresh built 302 short block along with aluminum heads and solid roller cam.
    I will not put a price on the car now as I am holding out hope that God may perform a miracle and I will have the surgery and recover. Or someone will come into our life and partner up on the car and will drive for me when I get it done after we get moved to Tn.
    Offers will be considered, but I know how much I have in 20170513_132731 (1).jpg vested and will not give it away.

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That is sad news. I hope the best for you. Prayers sent.

19. trollst

trollst

Absolutely shitty, but don't sell the car yet, wait till the doc is done and you recover to see where you're at. Modern heart stuff is fantastic, they can do wondrous things, I know from experience. Sell the car when you're dead, till then, there's lots left to enjoy. LeRoy.

20. 40grit

40grit

Ironically, my first car was a '49 Morris Minor with a Ford flathead V8-60 and Merc OD transmission. Also, I live in Tennessee.

I hope I am not out of line but, I fear you are reacting to the news before you know the out come. I know many people who are doing extremely well after their surgery and many say they feel younger and healther after having their surgery. I have had two close aquaintances that have undergone open heart surgery within the last ten days. Both doing well.

I am 72, had my 3 stendts in 2007. My car is hanging on the rotissorie. I may not spend the hours in the shop I used to but still enjoy it immensely.

The point I am trying to make is there will be just as many people interested in the project after your surgery than before and, who knows, after a little time to get your strength back, you may enjoy the project more than ever.

Whatever you decide to do please don't make your decision based on the emotions of the moment but on the facts of your prognosis.

Prayers and best wishes for you.

John

Tutashen, catdad49, seadog and 7 others like this.
  21. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Hopefully things work out for the better. I will keep you in my thoughts.... Stay positive...,. If and when the time comes to sell. I will be wishing I was closer......

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  22. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Mike, sorry to hear this. I know you won't give up without a fight ! Sounds like God is hinting to slow down, not give in. There are things a lot more important but if it makes you feel good, don't stop, just down shift one gear give the forward thinking, and your system, time to recover and you'll be back in top gear before you know it ! Positive thoughts only !! Prayers for you.

23. loudbang

loudbang

Hang in there. You got a lot of time to sit and think what is coming which sucks. I went it for a routine "check up" and was in surgery that afternoon "YOU GOTTA DO WHAT???" Triple bypass drove myself home 5 days later.

Had "Some Fun" with one of my lady friends 11 days later :eek: Yep still works WHEW :)

One and a half years later doing great can lift more weights than before LOL. Doc said it is the ONLY organ that can be rebuilt JUST LIKE A CAR ENGINE. Said my heart is now like being 18 again.

24. southcross2631

southcross2631

Thanks for the prayers and kind words. I am not giving up, maybe just slowing down and waiting to see the outcome. Going to Tn over Christmas to be with family and house hunt.
    Found some that have acceptable shops at them.
    Maybe stop complete builds and just do hot rod repairs for other people. Got to see if I can take the G forces of driving after the surgery. May have to go automatic instead of 4 speed which means no southeast gasser racing.
    Have to see if I can pass the physical to get my NHRA license. A lot of what if's right now.
    I have had friends who have had the same surgery and came out feeling better than ever, so we will see. Thanks again.
    Johnny, maybe we can talk your boy into driving a Ford powered race car ?

25. trollst

trollst

Look, I know how much of a mental blow this is, my heart attack very nearly killed me, if not for some EXTREME good luck, I'd be dead today, but to share my experience with you, it'll bring on some mental strain. You can expect that, and let it ride, knowing that it's only natural, my first night home, I never went to bed. No more heart monitors, no nurse down the hall, what if I die in my sleep? Stayed up all night worried as hell, thought my car building and doing anything days were over, now I'd become a doddering old fool, but never happened, I'm actually stronger than before. Instead, I'm just a regular old fool.
    Only thing that happened to me was a damaged heart valve and an irregular heartbeat, heart valve will be replaced when it's time, and soon a pacemaker will correct the heartbeat issue. Then, my welding days are done, but....gotta give a bit to get a bit huh? You're gonna go through a scary time, no matter what we say, but hang in there, cause it's all good when the dust settles. Don't be in a hurry to sell your shit just yet.

catdad49, seadog, mad mikey and 4 others like this.
  26. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

Mike, don’t sell that car. You are going to need something to focus on during your recovery,for you that is a race car.

27. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Boooo, sorry to hear this!! Hang tough!!

28. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

You know that boy loves to race !! Doesn't matter that the distributor is on the wrong end of the engine !! I.....want to line up with YOU ! Take care Mike !

29. southcross2631

southcross2631

Was told by the doctor to stay out of my shop and no working until at least 3 month after my surgery . He told me my heart was like a tire with a bubble on it . He said if I over do it will pop and I won't make it to the hospital So it looks like it will be a while before there will be any updates on the car.
    I am going to try and get the guy who helps me get the car painted while I am down.
    Talked to the machine shop yesterday about him assembling my motor . So it will be ready when I am able to get back to work. I need to order rods and pistons so that he can get it balanced.
    Finished my customers car yesterday against doctor's orders and my wife telling me to take it easy.
    I will probably get in trouble for posting a slightly O/T car on here, but I am proud about the way it turned out.
    Merry Christmas to all of you and I will update everyone who has followed my build after I have my surgery now it is in God's hands and in the hands of the surgeon. 20171218_134812.jpg 20171218_134908.jpg

catdad49, enloe, brEad and 12 others like this.
  30. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Merry Christmas to you also.... And know you are in my thoughts......

loudbang likes this.