Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Continental Mark II Introduction

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Continental Mark II Introduction

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Nothing like it....timeless.
    Always liked them.
    Always wanted one.
    Bitchin' with class.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

While I don't care for the additions Barris did; I really like the body color of his. Love this picture of him with his Rollei.
    [​IMG]

straykatkustoms, mgtstumpy and HEMI32 like this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I was probably too strong against it. The color is great... the stance is ok... etc... I just don't dig on the spot lights or the caps he chose... and I can't stand the addition of the landau thingies...

"Hey, look at me!" has never been my thing.

Rolleiflex likes this.

5. belair

belair

That mauve is really nice- matches the rocks. The white one reminds me a little of early sixties Mercedes. Headlight placement, I think. I think of them as really big 1st gen Thunderbirds. They are to my eye, one of the few "perfect" cars. The only thing they need is gas and a spot in my garage. Cool videos.

6. Caps he chose are stock, with bullets added to the centers.

bobwop, Torchie and Hnstray like this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's like a first gen thunderbird, a 60's era mercedes, and a first gen Riviera had a baby....

Yeah, it's the gold I don't dig on...

Sancho likes this.
  8. I always liked Rick Dore's. I look forward to Gary Howard's take on one.
    Image0052.jpg

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, it's gorgeous... but I don't know if it's any better than the stock. In my opinion (and I know everyone has one), I'm not huge on the bagged stance (although I think this IS an appropriate car for bags) and I'd prefer if it wasn't chopped quite so much. Overall, the car is just a bit too smooth for my tastes. I really miss the stainless kick plates along the bottom of the body for example...

That all being said, I do like the car a lot and have seen it in person. The craftsmanship is over the top good and I love the fact that it was built.

10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

One of the Mark II design team members, Jim Powers, opened an ad agency handling speed equipment manufacturers. He had one of each Continentals from '39 to the Mark III parked under his office. For awhile, the car of choice of the magazine advertising guys and agency strokes was Mark III or IV.

11. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

The Mark 2 lines are still perfect and back in the day I loved them, but the last time I saw one in the wild the proportions all looked wrong. The overhangs were too long, the greenhouse was too short and too high and the wheels were buried too far under the fenders. That design definitely hasn't aged as well as the 53 Studebaker coupe or the 63 Riviera.

fol, apenglish64 and BJR like this.
  12. greybeard360

greybeard360

When the cars were shipped to the dealers it was done in an enclosed hauler and had a sheep skin lined car cover on it. Charles Clardy, owner of Clardy Air Conditioning had one he brought in to the dealer I worked at in the 70's. The motor in it had gotten worn out from him driving it so much and he had a 460 and C6 transplanted in it. His was a non a/c car so he had his engineers build a system for it. It was maroon and the paint looked as good as it did when new.

flamingokid likes this.
  13. It always has been one of my favorites and probably always will be.

14. 'Mo

'Mo

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Torchie, mgtstumpy and Sancho like this.
  15. the-rodster

the-rodster

This one was at the Nats a few years ago....

IMG_3082.JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My favorite 50's car from the first tine I saw one when I was 11. Anyone can do what they want but to me they were, and still are, perfection from the factory

blowby and lurker mick like this.
  17. It will be something to see with Gary working on it.

18. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I have a white 57, don't know if I will ever get to it. But my fav was a black one that made the rounds a couple of years ago. Mine sits a couple of feet from my 57 brougham. Both are my favorite factory customs

63fdsnr likes this.
  19. eddie1

eddie1

Kindig-It Design is working on one. I spoke to the owner of the Copper Caddy & that's what they are working on for him now. I'm not 100% but I seem to recall he said it is to be a convertible.

20. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

They make a Rolls look utilitarian.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

To get them smooth like that, you have to rid of so many details... and its the fine details that make these cars special.

63fdsnr and bobwop like this.
  23. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I agree.

24. hudson48

hudson48

I took the picture of John Cooks car outside my old house maybe nine years ago. John did some great work on that car. It has now gone to a new home in Victoria I think. John will be looking at something special again soon. aussie.jpg

droppedstepside likes this.
  25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Attached Files:

26. Here's Gary "Goodguys" Meadors' Lincoln Mark II Custom ... circa 1994 ... before it was sold to a Texan (i.e., the version of car in the article linked by @corncobcoupe):

Custom RODDER Magazine - March 1995.jpg
    STREET RODDER Magazine - March 1995.jpg

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

63fdsnr and HEMI32 like this.
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have had honor of working on an original one......Black with white interior....just to stand back and look at that car was jaw droppin.

30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I know where there is one for sale. It was repainted last summer, a gaudy dark red with a white top, and I don't think they knew what a long sanding board was, you can see the waves in the body from 50 foot away. I saw it advertised for $20,000, way too much IMHO. It sits outside everyday by a dusty, gritty road in the sun, baking the paint off. Sad way to treat a classic.

Only thing I don't care for on those cars is the grille, something about it just looks out of place with the rest of the car. The custom grilles look somewhat better, but still off just a bit. One of those things that you can see, but just can't put your finger on how to improve them without screwing everything else up.