Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nitros as a coolant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lakesmod, Apr 22, 2006.

1. lakesmod

lakesmod

A coworker is looking into a turbo kit from Edelbrock for his Honda SI. In this catalog Edelbrock has a system to spray Nitros on to the turbo innercooler ,not in to it.
    My foreman (long time drad racer) has never heard of this,and called two local Nitros gurus that said it may give 2 H.P. more.
    He then called Edelbrock and they clam 17 H.P. gain.

Has anyone used this set up/know anyone who has used it?

I remember a write up in HOT ROD mag years ago about a guy driving his Studebacker (I think he is the owner of Vintage Air) to Bonnaville,running over 200 MPH with the air conditioning on. I think he was using the spray system on this car.

Anyone read about this Stude?

Fred

2. WHAT? I gotta make the assumption the entire spraying operation is fully enclosed in a housing of some type, right? Otherwise it would be a rolling firetrap.
    Sounds like a dangerous operation to me.
    Jack Chizenhall owns Vintage Air and the black big-block chevy stude coupe. He averaged a little over 202 MPH with a top speed of over 241.....with the A/C on! It was great publicity for his company and he had a ball doing it. Jack is real people, just like us. He loves playing with cars and his business ventures allow him to be able to spend a little more on cars than most of us. I met him at a Power Tour stop in Missouri when he drove the stude across the country..met up with him later at '95 Americruise when he was driving his 56 ford pickup....we all sat in lawn chairs with Lance Sorchik on the grass out by the Lincoln airport on hotel-row ....passing judgement on the hotrods as they drove by...great guy.

3. kantgetnun

kantgetnun

Ive seen those kits and have some freinds that have used them. they work but you go throgh nitrous like crazy not bad if you have your own pump and a crapload of bottles. but I dont think they are worth the trouble you are better off adapting a ice box or using water-alcohol injection. unless you are trying to squeeze every little hundreth of a second off of your time non of these options are worth your time

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

yeah ive seen that, totaly out in the open spraying right into the intercooler. dont have any info on it though, sorry

5. lakesmod

lakesmod

I only saw a picture of this system and the spray bars are not inclosed in anything.
    The catalog listed that nitros or co2 could be used.
    Fred

6. kantgetnun

kantgetnun

7. The Formula 1 guys used to spray CO2,or Nitrogen onto their intercoolers,
    back when they were running serious boost.

The gas coming out of any compressed cylinder is going to be colder
    than ambiant temp.Spraying a cold gas across an air to air intercooler
    will lower inlet temperatures,which will increase HP.How much depends
    on how efficient the intercooler is.

8. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

I Use One On My Gn It Droped Temp Of Air At Maifold 30 Degs Not Sure If It Gave Me Time Diff As I Changed A Bunch Of Other Stuff Too.

9. 47bob

47bob

Why not just use liquid nitrogen (hold the o2) instead? that stuff is pretty cold.

10. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

It is used to drop the air temp and help the intercooler work better. but i think co2 would work just as well. It is also used on turbo cars before the turbo to help the turbo spool faster and also cools the air into motor.

11. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

Pretty good intake charge temp drop can be had by spray bars with water alone onto intercooler core on inlet side. Adding alcohol to the mix gives even bigger drop from endothermic evap of alcohol. Same technique good across radiator. Alcohol also helps keep from freezing at altitude in your P51.
    General rule of thumb: 100 degree intake airtemp drop gives approx 5% power increase. Injecting the same mix at full power also gives more power.

12. Bugman

Bugman

Nitrous is used primarily because if it's avalibility and extream temp change as is converts from liquid to gas. Also, many of the people who use those kits already have N2O bottles, solinoids, etc, so it's more convienent. CO2, or nitrogen would also work, although I don't know how the temp change compairs to N2O. I remember reading somewhere that 10* drop in intake temp is worth 1 HP in a naturally aspirated motor. I also remember reading(probably in teh same article) that a large N2O shot can cool the intake charge upwards of 100*. In a boosted motor, the colder the intake air, the better. That's the whole reason for the intercooler in the first place. It cools the incomming air so you can run more boost with less knock, which ultimatly makes more power.

13. hilborn283

hilborn283

nitrous isnt flammable.it would act as a refrigerant,removing heat from the surface of the intercooler.kinda like when youre refilling a butane torch or lighter,and you get butane on your hand.the boiling point is very low,and it frickin freezes your hand.nitrous would simply accelerate the cooling of the intercooler,as the outside of it would be sprayed with nitrous,almost freezing the cores.i've heard of it before..sounds like a great idea.but personally,i cant see using the juice to make 20 hp,when you could use the juice to make 150 with a fuel solenoid and juice.but then..a cooler charge is less likely to detonate.....

14. Every 10 degrees reduction in intake temperature is
    usually thought to be worth 1% increase in power.

This also increases resistance to detonation.

15. tomslik

tomslik

the reason i think you WOULDN'T use water is that you really don't want to get leftover water on your tires.
    might be a bad thing and would prolly get you removed from the track....1 way or the other ;)

16. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

I wonder how much of the power gained from a NO2 setup is from the temp drop of the aircharge? Any rocket scientists out there who know?

17. Bugman

Bugman

1% HP increase for every 10 degree drop in temp meands that if you have a 300 HP NA motor and you shoot nitrous into it that drops the intake charge 100 degrees, you'll get a 30 HP increase just from the temperature drop(thoretically of course).

Funny thing about nitrous is it's power production curve is always the same. That means thet no matter what engine uyour using, X amount of Nitrous will make X amount of HP. Doesn't matter if it's a 5 HP Briggs or a 700 HP big block. Supply the N2O, and enough fuel to compensate, and you'll add the same amount of power.
    1 lb/min = 25 HP
    2 lb/min = 50 HP
    4 lb/min = 100 HP
    8 lb/min = 200 HP and so on