Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Tech School Students Doing Good

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Nov 7, 2014.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Mr Myrick.Looking good sir.As to the electric race cars.If there are no restrictions on the type of electric motors used,try to get the electric motor and rear end out of an early(70`s) EzGo golf cart.Used to work at the local course where those were used.The repair shop had one that we built for picking up golfers that had to leave due to job emergencies.That thing would do almost 40 mph(after we tinkered with it a bit).
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Any pics from the road or the event?

3. Goodguys Nashville
    we have over 2500 miles in the first month
    good guys bus 2.jpg good guys bus.jpg

brEad, chryslerfan55 and nightmoves like this.
  4. here is the bus at the UNC Charlotte campus
    bus front 4.jpg

brEad and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Saw your other thread some time after asking about it, neat old bus;)
    Funny sometimes where you find your most fun at...:cool:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. nightmoves

nightmoves

Great job guys. You had a good weather for the most part for GG. Hope you enjoyed it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. finally got some show pictures
    bus show.jpg bus arial shot.jpg

brEad likes this.
  8. a local photographer came by the school and took these cool shots when we were wrapping up the build
    bus bitt.png bus seat.jpg bus side bw.png
    school is about to start, wondering what crazy stuff we will build this year

brEad, loudbang, clunker and 2 others like this.
  9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Great job! How has building this bus affected your students? Any interested in pursuing a career in the automotive repair field?

loudbang likes this.
  10. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

As a trade school graduate myself, ( Dunwoody Industrial Institute, Minneapolis Minnesota, Body and Fender 1969 )
    it pleases me to see that current tech/trade school students are displaying far more maturity than many of their generation who are enrolled in College day care across the country.
    Hat's off to you!

loudbang and anthony myrick like this.
  11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Congratulations to you and your students. Gaining and passing on such skills and knowledge at the HS level is fast disappearing as "shops" close down.
    We are raising generations of folks who don't even know how to change a tire unless they can do it by pressing the button on their "device". They are helpless through no fault of their own.

loudbang and anthony myrick like this.
  12. affected? that's a good question
    One student passed his ASE frame repair certification, this student missed the semester that I covered this. He did do a lot of the chassis set up on the bus. He told me that the questions covered in this ASE test were very similar to the chassis work he did on the bus. Teaching theory is OK, but using theory is another.
    This student was employed before he graduated and is currently working full time in a shop.
    Having this project has already caused our automotive classes (mechanics and collision) to receive over 6k worth of tools. Students have already been using the fab tools we bought because of this project, so now we have students being exposed to basic fabrication. Our administration is finally realizing the level of math, science and problem solving involved.
    When we debuted the bus, students were the ones explaining the process and how the bus came about, greatly improving the personal/soft skills these students need to maintain employment.
    Students bring their parents to local rod runs to show them what they did in class. A couple even made it to Nashville goodguys. Having something to show off is a huge encouragement for these students.
    Our bus made the front page of our local paper, we had 3 front page articles from our automotive classes last year. When I first started teaching, the only students we had in the paper were in orange jump suits. Now we have students in the paper for positive things.
    I drive this bus nearly every day and attend every rod run I can, 6K+ miles and 5 states since April. I hope to use this bus to change peoples perspectives of 'trade schools' and so far its working here locally. I have shops asking for students and 2 car magazines have requested bus info and plan to cover it this fall.
    This has been a great recruitment tool for students, so far we have over 50 new students to sign up for our automotive classes.
    As far as collision for a profession, I love it. Every shop I visit needs repair techs (not painters)
    getting paid to hit cars with hammers is fun, just take care of the lungs and feet

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  13. oh, and students had to present this project to our school board.
    one student created a nice powerpoint and explained to the board how they have benefited from this project and to ask permission for us to attend an out of state show with it.
    again improving soft skills

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thats really a good thing. As a kid I struggled with decimals and fractions. It wasn't until I started building bikes and working on cars that math became clearer; the physics of how a four stoke cycle engine worked, the science behind carburetor design and function, the hydraulic principles of brake operation and all other things that make a car or bike go and stop.
    Many non-car people don't realize these things and classes like yours help demonstrate the fact that the kid in the school parking lot with the old primered car is probably applying math and science to fix his car so he can get to his after school job.

brEad, clunker, koolkemp and 2 others like this.
  15. A sense of accomplishment in anything can help someone be confident in themselves, and help them throughout their lives. So I'd say the program has a 100% success rate.

My point is that someone in your program might go out and be a really good manager of people at a restaurant because they recognized that ability in themselves in your class.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

anthony myrick and loudbang like this.
  16. the bus made it into its first magazine
    maybe not a HAMB friendly one though
    Honestly I am thankful the mods here have let this bus slip through their filters
    The students are super stoked to see something they built in print
    bus magazine  1 - Copy.jpg bus magazine  1 - Copy (2).jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    brEad, low budget, clunker and 2 others like this.
  17. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Outstanding!!!!

anthony myrick likes this.
  18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I think the most important thing is the accomplishments by the students under your supervision. They have built something tangible that they can be proud of.

19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Outstanding sir.Tell them to keep up the great work.
    Leo

20. els

els

chryslerfan55 and anthony myrick like this.
  21. WOW!
    On Tuesday, I was asked to drive the bus to a meeting at a local business. Our state senator, representative, mayor local bank president and news paper were there. The meeting was a thank you from recent grant recipients and update on things the grant recipients have done with the grants. Needless to say they were more than impressed with the things our students have done with the tools purchased from these grants. They are also looking forward to future grants opportunities. When I left the meeting (driving the bus) I met our school superintendent walking with a group of people. He stopped me to show off the things we are doing at our school to this group of folks.
    I had a feeling the bus would turn out cool, but never expected it to create this type of positive exposure to a couple of shop classes in a rural tech center.

22. we are looking to start a new crazy project
    we are saving a 64 caddy from the local scrap yard
    the car is rough, but we are looking to build a crazy concept roadster body out of it
    this is a rough drawing of a possible look (just a rough sketch done with students)
    the plan is to use the QTRs, rear door skin and front fenders
    fab the floors, firewall and an A style frame
    we should get the car soon to do a better sketch
    it may look silly, but it might be cool
    caddy.jpg

23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Wow! Sounds like a super cool idea, Cant wait to see the plan go into action!:cool:

loudbang and els like this.
  24. Thanks, hope to pick up the caddy this week. We have a better drawing with some different style tops. We have looked at doing a bubble top and maybe a windshield similar to the bat mobile. Not 100% sure we will do this but who knows folks thought we were crazy for cutting a bus in half

brEad, els, rod1 and 1 other person like this.
  25. looks like we got the caddy
    caddy wcct.JPG caddy wcct2.JPG

deadbeat, brEad, low budget and 2 others like this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

Keep up the good work getting the young guys interested in ANYTHING other than their phones. :) This is what makes a good teacher.

41 GMC K-18, anthony myrick and els like this.
  27. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Ohhhhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.Acres of sheet metal.Now the fun begins.
    Leo

els, anthony myrick and loudbang like this.
  28. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Guy here build one quite similar. He narrowed it at the front to fit a T cowl and then fabbed an aircraft style canopy. It sure looked strange, I never saw it finished. I dig your concept drawing, totally has potential!

loudbang, els and anthony myrick like this.
  29. I would like to do something similar to the Lunar Lander
    lunar lander.jpg
    but I would like to tie the fenders into a cool hood side/grill set up
    the 429 turns over and would probably run but there is very little speed stuff available for it plus it has the old jetaway trans
    also researching into how to make bubble tops

30. k9racer

k9racer

Anthony you have a PM. You know the lander was engineered in Huntsville Alabama

loudbang likes this.