Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to keep mice out of your car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kid442, Oct 23, 2017.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'd say we're at about 50/50 on the dryer sheets.

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and Truck64 like this.
  2. I have a rat problem where I live, especially this time of the year when they are in full winter prep mode. Hood up on the cars helps keep them from nesting there. I have had good luck with electronic traps I picked up on Amazon. Not such good luck with electronic repellent, moth balls, soap, etc. I would like to have an outside cat, but I think it would become a meal for the local coyotes and mountain lions.

Sent from my XT1575 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and flatheadpete like this.
  3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

4. Deuces

Deuces

I believe dr. Jones hated snakes...

patmanta likes this.
  5. juan motime

juan motime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent practice. Wild barn cats! Depending on the region that one lives, maybe a red heat lamp for winter. Although there is a down side. First there was one female cat, and then there were 20. In my case the worst was the male cats, they tend to mark a lot of things, including my leather welding jacket, which I finally had to throw away. My welds were good, but my nose was telling me they were real "pissy". Even as long as couple days later, and a couple of showers, my nose was saying that the whole world was "pissy". Wild barn cats is still a pretty good deal, I just had to learn to protect certain items.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Don't get "just a cat"... Get a KITLER!:p

[​IMG]

wraymen likes this.
  7. wicarnut

wicarnut

My cars have not set in a barn setting for storage and have been using dryer sheets for many years. Many years ago I tried lavender moth balls once, Do Not! use this idea, I did not drive that car much for that summer and let it set in garage with top down all summer, eventually was OK. That's my tip for the day and dryer sheets make the car smell good IMO.

8. Maybe if you made a dryer sheet coat for the cat.;)
    I actually put some of the sheets in my cars last year and it seemed to work but I do take them for a drive when the weather permits, not sitting all winter.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    28 Ford PU and tb33anda3rd like this.
  9. BENT VALVE

BENT VALVE

Fresh Cab for me also. Although there seems to be a shortage right now. Good thing I hoarded some last year. Very hard to find.
    Bent

10. Moth cakes, they do not like the smell of moth cakes. I didn't either because they smell like my grandma's closet, now that I am older I kind of like the smell. Must be an old thing. LOL

Blues4U, bobwop, stillrunners and 2 others like this.
  11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

12. They are primarily Naphthalene. The Oklahoma Saddle Horse Association outlawed Naphthalene for commercial use or restricted its use a long time ago. but our grandparents never seemed to have much problem with moth cakes.

NOTE: if you want to know the dangers of moth cakes or naphthalene google the MSDS sheet on it.

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That we know of. I prefer to error on the side of caution these days. Got some little ones running around.

14. LOL Grandpa and me remodeled a house the last year he was alive. He was over 100, that's probably old enough for me. :D

Life changes when you got little ones around, at least in this new age of knowledge it does. We didn't know much when mine was little, well you know the common stuff like don't eat poison, don't play with guns. . . But life changes with little ones around, you need to do whatever it takes to keep them safe. ;)

15. hotrod428

hotrod428

Over the years I've tried just about everything, I don't like the moth ball stink and the mice used the dryer sheets in their nests. I've been using Fresh Cab for the last 3 years and have not had a rodent in my vehicles.

16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I have a pickup with a snowplow that I use in the winter. One fall I started it and it was running bad. I assumed bad gas but after clearing the yard, I found dog food in the snow that apparently blew out of the exhaust.

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

They don't work well in the winter.

18. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Plaster of Paris and foccicia bread or popcorn.
    Not too much plaster, you still want the smell of bread to come through.
    Eat, touches moisture, gets hot, sets up, rock in the guts.
    Not enough to harm the dog or cat. I had a problem which resulted in a boom of rattlesnakes.
    One problem led to another. It was two really weird years.

stillrunners likes this.
  19. Won't baiting them with peanut butter and the like just attract more of them???

20. Add a bit of anti-freeze or windshield washer solvent to the water, assuming that you don't have other pets in the shop who might be tempted to drink it.

henryj1951 and flatheadpete like this.
  21. southcross2631

southcross2631

All this talk about varmits in the cars and this morning I walk out my back door and find 2 raccoons in my above ground pool. One had already drowned and the other was getting really tired. so I took my pool skimmer and stretched it out to him and he swam over and hung on. He looked at me and almost said thank you. No hissing no aggressive nature like he would normally do. He was just so glad that I came to his rescue. I got him out and he was shaking from the cold water.
    So I got an old towel from my shop and covered him up. He just layed down and went to sleep for a while . After about a half hour he got warmed up and wandered off into the woods. Minus his partner who didn't make it. So I got to take the dead one out into the woods and bury him.
    One less critter to get into my trash cans. 20171024_082628.jpg

dan31, exterminator, wicarnut and 3 others like this.
  22. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

In the freezing (cold ) storadge area i just leave the water out, maybe its inhumane to let them starve as opposed to drowning...lol

23. I've fished dead squirrels out of my pool. Even soaking wet they weigh nothing. Then I put in 2 packages of shock...

24. Nemosgarage

Nemosgarage

Try Mouse Magic, a little pricey but it works for me.

25. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

Huge problem around here. I use the buckets of Tomcat Bait Chunx, and free feed the bastards. Im suprised it works. Because California.. Also keep the weeds cut. Mice attract snakes. I got bit by a rattler in my garage. Probably wouldn't survive another hit like that. Have cats also but they are worthless.

czuch likes this.
  26. Derelick

Derelick
    from So Cal

27. Deuces

Deuces

Poor bastard.....

28. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

mice can jump

29. funny you should ask.....doing the real kill poison at the moment up high and traps.....sadly my stray shop dog I took in years ago....kills stray cats....sooo - what's funny is I have a few cars....some they like more than others - these ones do start and run and move.....so why do they pick one over the other....of my mopars....they seem to stay away from my station wagon....wish I knew what's up with it versus say my Dart or Cuda - they must love a slant six....