Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Another Side Of Cochran Family History

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Another Side Of Cochran Family History

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Pretty cool!

Truck64 likes this.
  3. belair

belair

Looks like the harder you push or pull on the handle of the Speednut, the tighter it grips the fastener. Just like the pipe wrench. Pretty cool. And it's not vanity. It's story-telling/story sharing. . Thanks for your generosity. Bet you get some of those wrenches pretty soon.

4. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We'd all like to believe that all of our ancestors were wonderful people that did no wrong. Most of my ancestors were farmers, but.....my cousin did some genealogical research on our family (my mothers) and found that one was a Mormon missionary that went back to England in the late 1800's to recruit, another was in Ft Madison state prison in Iowa (no idea what for) and other family members may have been (note "may have") involved in illegal liquor during the depression. My great uncle that was in the slammer was a neat guy, eked out a living on a farm in eastern Minnesota and had successful and interesting children. None of my family ever patented a tool (at least to my knowledge) and evidently my great uncle never found a hacksaw blade to break out of prison:)

Hnstray likes this.

5. Kinky6

Kinky6

My dad always claimed that he was descended from Kentucky horse thieves. He may have been kidding. I'm not entirely sure. K6

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not vanity, stop it. My great, great grand uncle was George Mason. Yes, that George Mason from our Nation's founding fathers. I recently learned that the knowledge of such combined with $1.83 will get me a large coffee at the Speedway gas station. Just sayin...

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I consider moonshiners to be patriots. Seriously.

Genetics are so fascinating. I can literally follow my family tree and show you at least one guy from every generation that was absolutely fascinated by the automobile. From James Cochran and his Speed Nut for Fords to Frank Cochran and his outlaw hot rods to Gary Cochran and his success on the drag strip from the 50's to the 70's to my dad who was as obsessed as I am.

8. squirrel

squirrel

The pipe wrench, huh? Wow. That's something. Seriously...I used one last night.

dana barlow and Gary Reynolds like this.
  9. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Thats NUTS dude. I wish I had that kind of information about my families history. I really need to do one of those websites. Its amazing that your family has such deep roots in everything related to what you do yourself.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

My only claim to fame is that a cousin was the inventor/designer of record of the M-16.

Also related to the two Harrison presidents of the United States.

warbird1 and loudbang like this.
  11. belair

belair

My mother's cousin designed the Methodist's logo. And I'm a Baptist, so big whoop.

hillbilly and stillrunners like this.
  12. I like those speed wrenches. I don't crank on them like my Chinese Craftsman wrenches, although I'm sure they would be fine and stronger. The guy I bought them from re-peened the rivet-ish fastener on them and hard coated them with some sort of clear finish. Pretty cool 25 dollar investment.

On another note, my great, great grandfather is Samuel Ellison, a Union Civil War hero of note that settled in Arizona. His wife was Emma Holliday/Ellison. Her brother ? James "Doc'" Holliday, who when visiting and thereby residing in Arizona, would soon visit the OK Corral in Tombstone. Nuts the diversions of the ole' family tree.

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

My Grandfather was an engineer at Sioux Tools. Here's one of the patents he held for a DA:

Patent of Grandpas.png

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree with Jocko, stop with the apologies. And don't stop with the family history. It seems to me that the founder of Ryan's World has a pretty long topic leash, but especially when filling in your hot rod provenance.

You know, this explains a lot. Not just any set of genes could come up with Atomic. Pretty fucking cool.

HunterYJ and J.Ukrop like this.
  15. NoSurf

NoSurf

Dude- that is way cool. No reason to not sprinkle in some family history/lore now and then to spice it up. We are all preachin' and spreadin' the gospel here in this space you created for us.

From what I gathered- "once removed" means a generation. So, your Dad's first cousin would be your first cousin, once removed. Your Dad's cousins kids would be your second cousins.

I use wikitree for my genealogy stuff- it's free, and they have a cool deal where you can plug in someone "famous" and see if you are related. You can check and see how related you are to Kevin Bacon too.

Here is a patent by my relative for the micrometer:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  16. 5window

5window

No one in my family is famous or infamous. On the other hand, my wife's great,great... grandfather was minister on the Mayflower and her uncle co-invented the microchip and started this little company called Intel. He was a really great guy, now gone.

Ryan, your essay about Frank might be the best I've read in 12 years on the HAMB. History is fascinating,black sheep and all.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Awesome stuff, Ryan. I love old tools and fasteners, and won't report you for the post. Way cool stuff, yes indeed.

18. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah man!!!
    I use micrometers every day at work.... ;)

19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Ryan.Don`t lay off the family stuff.It`s way too cool.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

20. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

It's amazing how technology has allowed us to dig into our past.

My aunt got bit hard by the research bug, and has been sharing results with the family. The first nugget was my grandmother on my mother's side being a direct descendant of Pocahontas' sister. We were all "um, yeah that's cool." Then she came at us with info that puts my grandfather in Jesse James lineage (the bank robbing one, not the car building one) and that one was a much bigger shock. My 12 year old son was very excited about that one, and I had to sit him down and do a bit of research about ol' JJ so he knew just who he was idolizing. Mr. James was not a particularly nice fella.

I assume that if you dig enough, all of us have some hoodlum of some sort in our past. I for one have been fascinated by your findings, especially those that correlate with the birth of hotrodding. If we are willing to admit it, this go fast thing was all born out of nefarious need at some point.

21. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

That is some neat schtuff for sure. I'd be hanging some of those patents/drawings/ads up for some serious garage art. Those old drawings are just too cool.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  22. A Boner

A Boner

Was he a Stoner?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

So, @Ryan I don't recall the connection to Gary C.
    Inquiring minds want to know.

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

cody parr and val cochran.jpg Any relation to Val Cochran? Val is the guy in the cowboy hat.

Tim_with_a_T and catdad49 like this.
  25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It’s pretty distant and I got nothing interesting to add to his legend.

Never heard of him, but there are really only two cochran family trees in the US from 1890 until now, so there’s a good chance I’m somehow related.

dana barlow likes this.
  26. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Yes, but not that kind.

27. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Cool stuff.
    Nobody in my family's past has ever done anything remarkable. We strive to go unnoticed.

John Starr likes this.
  28. catdad49

catdad49

How can cool tools not be a relevant subject on here?! Would love to have one those "Speedwrenches. Another great one and it's not braggin' if you can do it.

29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My namesake only goes back as far as my Great Grandpa. Nobody has yet to find any info on him other than his wife and two kids. Don't know where he came from or none of his relatives, the trail just ends. Not even sure where he was buried, there are two possibilities, but neither are marked. So, nobody famous on that side of the family.