Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Info on this chassis?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike Britton, Feb 21, 2017.

1. rooman

rooman

The Cook and Bedwell car was re created recently (last few years) and there should be numerous photos of it floating around the web.
    For the era the car probably should have early Ford spindles. Later on the Anglia spindle became popular and there are plenty of wire wheels around to suit them but spokers to suit early Ford are a little thin on the ground. Narrow steel wheels with Moon discs would probably be easier.

Roo

2. Thanks, Roo. Early Ford spindles are pretty easy in the DFW area, and thin steelies with VW tires would be appropriate for an early 60's car. I'm thinking 15X4 1/2 for the fronts, and 15X10 for the rears with Moon discs on both ends.
    I'm still trying to decide on steering. Corvair would be easiest, but not too era correct.
    I have a reverse eye Ford main leaf and enough extra leaves to make a 3 leaf front spring which seems to be what everyone was using then.
    Last night, a friend gave me a GM 3 speed out of his 55 Chevy. I have to find the correct parts to make it a shorty. I was going to run a pre-war Ford top loader, but this GM solves a couple of issues. First, I can now run a scatter-shield, which altho not completely age correct is safer than the adapter. And the GM 3 speed is stronger, if only marginally.
    I'm guessing that it's possible there were a few scatter shields in use in the 62-63 time period.
    Ford started with the 9" in 57, so there is the rear end. My friend Don Ross has the tool to narrow a 9", I have to ask around to determine dimensions.
    At 69, I was around when these cars were running, but I really didn't get into the "nutsnbolts" until I got involved with the Fuler in 69. So, I'm going back and doing a lot of research.
    Stumbling over parts will be the most time consuming. Thinking fairly long term project because of the parts issue.

3. 150J/F

150J/F

The rear end of choice back in the day was late 50's Olds, I think. That is what I had and
    most of the guys I knew in the mid 60's. M/T made an aluminum center that was real popular. I bet Don can narrow them too. Look for a Ross or P&S steering box.

Scotty Fenn was an interesting guy. I have heard that his early cars were so short because
    he thought the wheelbase should be the same as the rear tire roll-out. True???

Mike

4. 150 J/F, That's the same story I heard! If your rear tire rolled out at 109, that was the wheelbase you were to run! I wonder what was supposed to happen if you changed tires?

5. Was a successful day at the swapmeet! Got a Fenton 3-speed shifter for the afore mentioned transmission, and a 31 Model A front end, all for the princely sum of $80.
    Won't be long I will either have to change the name of this thread or start a new one.
    Spindles on the front end are trash, but new ones can be had. Does anyone know if the spring perches for Model A are the same as for hydraulic Ford front ends? Like 32-later? I'm trying to decide if I want to cut up a good wishbone to make radius rods, which would be correct, or build wishbones, also correct.
    The axle is good, the spring is good, which is what I what I was really after anyway.
    The Fenton shifter, under all that gunk is pretty decent, and works great. A good cleaning, and we are golden!
    Still looking for steering and a rear end. I may hold off for an old Ford banjo just for the period look.
    I really do think the search for parts is as much fun as the finished project!

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      217.6 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      176 KB
      Views:
  6. christmas tree

christmas tree

If I were going to run a steel wheel I would split the wishbone and if spokes would make hair pin rods.

7. That will make my caster "cast in stone" so to speak, correct? I would set the caster with the frame mount that I use to mount the radius rod I make from the wishbone, correct? maybe 11 degrees?
    In my research I find a lot of radius rods made from wishbones, and Speedway and Chassis Engineering still sell the ends to make them. Would look kind of "old school" cool to have drilled radius rods and a drilled axle. Not to mention saving a lot of labor fabbing up hairpins.
    Great idea, Christmas Tree ! Thanks!

8. I'm afraid my spindles are beyond repair. I'm soaking everything in PB Blaster before I get out the impact, but from what I see so far, the spindles and king pins have taken the hit, and the axle itself looks OK. I need one hub, not hard to find.
    I'm still trying to decide on a banjo rear end, or a 9". Since I'm not going to flog this thing, a banjo would have the "cool" factor. If I run across a quickchange housing, there will be no more debate.....

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      198 KB
      Views:
  9. Anyone got an NHRA rulebook, say 1962 through maybe 1966?
    I could buy, or copy?

10. rooman

rooman

11. Thanks a bunch, Rooman !! I copied the 1964 set to use as reference. Although I don't plan to ever put this car on the track I want to build a reasonable facsimile of a "proper" car.
    Last thing I want is some geezer like me finding things to pick at!
    Re thinking the 3 speed. I may go with a shorty Powerglide because it is so much easier.
    I remember back in 69-71 when I crewed on the Norris Bros. Top Fueler, there were a few shorty gas diggers with Powerglides in them . and that would make moving the car around sooo much easier!

12. christmas tree

christmas tree

Mike Here is one of my old cars that I restored however I put a 6 point bar in it. 16833133_1710180359008340_1820179575_o.jpg 16833133_1710180359008340_1820179575_o.jpg 16833184_1710180362341673_1131385505_o.jpg

13. Christmas Tree, Thanks! About when did the 18" spoke mags start showing up?
    I had a crack at a pair this weekend at the swap meet, but passed as I thought they came later than the mid 60's.