Register now to get rid of these ads!

'NEW' Chassis Research TE-440 Build Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Calkins, Aug 4, 2009.

1. I dig your tune-up! I thought it would be fun to run direct drive with pie-crusters and see how far it would light 'em up! Just roll through the water box, pull the inside or outside (out of the groove) and stage!!!!

2. Actually the pics of the raw frame at the beginning of that post are one that King Chassis built. It's an earlier, square type Dragmaster and mine has the tapered frame rails like a Dragmaster Dart. The gold digger is Tommy Osbornes.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Shadow, in your post you mentioned using a 9" Ford with Olds ends. Pardon my ignorance, but why the Olds axle ends? I know that an Olds rear was the hot tip throughout the fifties and sixties, but am curious as to why the adaptation now?

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I wanted to bump this one back up so shadow could see my question. Thanks, Chip

5. almost a year without an update
    tk

6. Shawn761

Shawn761
    from Alva,OK

Hows this going. I know this is a old post but i am starting the same project soon. My main question is what did it finally look like when you made it legal to pass tech..

7. the shadow

the shadow

Sorry chip, must have never re-checked this post last year but since it got bumped I can answer your question.
    You can probibly just go with big ford ends & retainers on a 9" rear or use the Olds ends/retainer plates. the reason I suggested it was for a larger bearing for a larger axel. I have a 57 chevy rear in m rail with big Olds ends on it and I run Olds axels tapered & splined to fit my rear vs useing stock chevy ends & chev axels.

Paul

8. Gasr57

Gasr57
    from Ohio

So has this car been built?Any updates?

9. druids62

druids62

We are all patiently waiting on some drawings. Anyone please?

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. wsdad

wsdad

This is probably useless, but BTT anyway!

11. marshall

marshall
    from tacoma/wa.

?????????????????????

12. Not going to let the cat out of the bag are you?

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Did this ever happen?

14. rgdavid

rgdavid

+1 Justin,did you ever build the chassis or car ?

15. rgdavid

rgdavid

Hello hello,
    In the future i would like to build a CR TE440 stle dragster. It will be just a fun cackle car,nothong serious.
    I have some questions.....

1, the bottom 3" diameter tubes, are they just cut right through at an angle and welded together?
    No rienforcing inside ?

2, what ground clearance at the back of the frame would be good ?

3, what radius for the bends in the rollbar are used ? (To centre line of tube or inside of bend ?).

4, the same for the front firewall hoop,

5, for an early sixties looking car what would the tyre sizes front and back be used,?
    And if spoked motercycle front wheels used what diameter and size ? 18" or 19" m/c wheels ?

6, mild steel tubing......what grade or specs do you use ?
    This hard cos ill have to convert your american grade or specs into européen specs,

Thanks a lot , david,

16. rgdavid

rgdavid

Petite bump for the dragster guys.

17. rgdavid

rgdavid

Bumpety bump, helpy help please,
    Thanks, david.

18. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

http://s941.photobucket.com/user/Renchbender/media/9150E72F-41DE-4C98-95EA-17A9C259BC2E.jpg.html

Here is my car it's mild steel 1 3/4" .125 wall thickness tubing front wheels are 19" motorcycle wheels I would have to measure to be sure but I think the dies used to bend it were 6 or 7" radius can't remember exactly. it's a 100" wheelbase though the rear tires are 30" tall from towel city hope this helps and hope you can see the pic if not I can email pics just pm me

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. rgdavid

rgdavid

Thanks very much Wrenchbender.

Are your rear wheels 15" diam.?
    Can you check on your front wheel size please, diameter and width,
    Thanks, david.

20. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Yes the rear wheels are 15 x 8 1/2 American racing torq thrust the front are 19" x 3" motorcycle wheels from a 71 cb750 Yamaha adapted to 34 ford spindles on a 40 axle

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. wsdad

wsdad

http://s754.photobucket.com/user/socalsac/library/Chassis Research Parts?sort=3&page=1
    socalsac's Bucket

So-Cal Speed Shop Sacramento's (socalsac)

22. Sorry guys, apparently I "Unwatched" this thread at some point. Going thru old threads this morning, and seen there have been a bunch of replied that I never seen.

I did not get a car built, yet. My father did buy a TE440 from Cornfield Customs a few years ago. I am trying to get it from him, so that I can assemble it for him. He was planning on, and has the parts to run an injected nitro SBC with direct drive. If I can talk him into letting me finish it, maybe I can use a Ford Y-Block instead. This would still be a sweat ride for the Meltdown and Fallout Drags in my area. I will start a new thread if this happens.

I have changed my ideas some over the past few years, as most people do. Being SFI legal is still an issue for me. And I really like the C/GD class that is ran out at Eagle Field. For my build, I have decided to go with a Dragmaster Mark VI, instead of a Chassis Research TE448 style that started this thread. I want to use a Ford Y-Block, Ford C4, and Ford 9". Tim McMaster, "The Y-Block Guy", has a sweet little ride that has got me wanting to go that direction. I will start a new thread if I can pull this off too.

23. Truckintom

Truckintom

You may want to pad those roll bars around your head area,I have rattled my brains in an old shorty style rail