Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My one eyed Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ibcalaveras, Sep 14, 2008.

1. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

OK Tommy V,
    We'll fire up Eds BBQ and burn some country style ribs for lunch. The parts for the brake lines should be in by then.

2. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

The frame is all weld up and painted. Tucked in the radius rods under the frame, it looks much better. The rear axle is painted and mounted, brake lines are next.
    To save time I ordered a gas tank from Hod Rod Company. Pearce Manifolds out of Gilroy is setting me up with Webber carbs. I have one on the Tee now and it works great. Two should be better.

Attached Files:

3. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

Started plumming the brake lines last weekend. Went with stainless steel.. The front brakes are mounted with buick drums. Also 16 steel rims with 525/16 firestones to finish up the front. The Gas tank came in from the Hot Rod Company , looks real good.
    The rest of the brake lines should be in by the weekend. Will post picts this comming Sunday.

4. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

I have been going to some Car shows latley, so not much work has gotten done. Working out cluch issues now, also need to find some extraheavey washers for the head bolts.. I want to get the motor back in the frame ASAP....

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Good to see some updates! Keep at it, it's looking good

6. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

All the brake lines are done, stainliss ant cheap. but it sure is pretty ..The Aluminum heads are mounted with new grade 8 head bolts and extra thick washers.

I am now going to set up the Hydraulic throw out bearing. The big question is what pressure plate do I use. I bought a 10.5 pressure plate for Ford flathead and a 10.5 clutch disk and thro out bearing for T-5 for S-10 / T-5 trans. from Speedway, unfortunately the pressure dosen't match my Ford Flathead flywheels, I have four of them. After much cussin and discussin I decided to drill a new pattern in the flywheel.

This now leads me to big question part 2 would a 10.5 camero t-5 pressure plate be better way to go? I now have all the parts to mock each of the set ups. I'm using a 1950 Ford stamped steel bellhousing with an offenhouser chevy trans adapter,so clearance should not be a problem.
    Stay tuned in, will post the answer this comming Sunday

7. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

The carbs are finally in,many thank's to Stephen at Pierce Manifolds in Gilroy... I now have two Webbers on a Edmonds manifold with a Power Master alt...All jetted and ready to go...

After test fitting the two pressure plates the Chevy looks to be the best fit..I now need to drill the bolt pattern into the flywheel..

Now that I have the intake mounted I will need to make fuel pump cover plate (running an electric) , fuel block / lines, hook up a PCV valve and find a air cleaner that I can make fit.. Things will start moving again. It's all comming down to the small stuff now... Stay tuned for the next up date...

Attached Files:

8. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

cool...making some good progress

9. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

:rolleyes:I'm back on the Roadster!!
    Finally got the flywheel drilled and tapped... I also had it balanced for good measure. very reasonable price too.Thank you Yosemite Machine!
    I also found a air cleaner that I can make fit...
    Cars shows and stuff have been gitten in the way, going to try hard to have her ready for Xmass.
    As soon as the fly wheel is on, the tranny will be mounted up and back it all goes in to the frame for final bolt down.. I will post picts Sunday night. after I get back from Turlock swap meet

10. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

Got some Mercury hub caps, and the Motor is in ...For the last time I hope? Gas lines are next...

Attached Files:

11. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

The clutch and thro-out bearing are all set up now. I removed to pivet mount from inside the bellhousing , added about 2 inches 3/4 x 1/8 flat stock to it then rewelded it down in a spot were it will keep the thro-out bearing from spinning. I made a spacer .800 long fit on the bearing retainer tube. Only needed one washer to get the T-h bearing in the correct spot. I also drilled a .5 hole on the top right side so I can bleed the t-h bearing. (opposite the pivit arm hole) I now have a t5 disk, t5 pressure plate and t5 t-h bearing... It all seams to work well, will know for sure when I get old one eye running.

Last of all I made a fuel pump cover plate Sunday.. I think it looks real good, like real Kool... Will post a pic soon, if there is enought interest I can make more to sell......:cool:

12. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

I finally took some pictures.. First two are of the fuel pump cover. Made from Aluminum heat-sink stock. The last two are of the battery box I'm going to use. I found it at the Stockton swap meet,Looks much better than some plastic battery box. It has a built in charger too... Bolted it down to the floor, pulled the jumper cables and hooked up the battery cables... Stay tuned more to come....

Attached Files:

13. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

Made me a fuel log for my carbs... Used 1 inch dia aluminum rod and some chrome fittings... Had to get a 5/16 extra long drill bit, only 10.00 frog skins. The fittings cost all most 20.00.. I think it came out pretty good....

Attached Files:

14. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

Got me a grill, took awile to find a good deal ..

Attached Files:

15. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

Finally got the steering working. A little fine tuning and it will be perfect. Also got the doors on. Started making the seat mounts today ... It's getting close , can't wait to drive it... Need to get the VIN numbers verified before I can weld the cowl to the rest of the body...

Attached Files:

16. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

I'm back working on it again... I moved it back home... I lot more stuff has been done since my last post...

17. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

Something I thought I would share....

She runs! I started my Roadster Sunday. I had tried the day before, it sounded like she wanted to. But it didn't start. I plan was to mount the fan and wire it up Sunday.
    Thought I would try one more time before I started working on the fan. The carbs have the jets set to what ever motor they were set-up to run on. I didn't think that they would be close to being right. I had left the battery on trickle charge overnight so it would be fully charged.
    First I pulled the chokes, connected the negative battery cable,as I turned on the ignition. I could hear the ticking of the fuel pump kick in. I reached over and pushed the started button. The starter started to make it's familiar whine that a Flathead starter only makes. Boy was I was surprise when she fired right up, at a slow idle. As I listened in total amazement I noticed the motor start to load up. So I released the rear choke and the idle pick up a little. I released the second choke to almost full open. I just stood there and watched as I heard that sweet sound that only a Flathead can make. I let it run for two minutes or so, then I open the throttles to hear what would sound like. It promptly died. I know the carbs are not even close to being dialed in. So I wasn't really surprised when it quit running. It felt good to know after all this time it runs. Sunday was a Good day.

18. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

I have been slaving away on the Roadster. Brakes areworking, wiring just about complete. All thats left before I can test drive is the dam gas pedal. Ordered one two weeks ago and it's still not here. It's freaking me out. I ordered another from the hod rod shop , or something like that. They say it will be here Monday.. Well see... Mean while I guess I will keep working on it.
    I added a couple pictures of the motor.

Attached Files:

19. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

The pedal showed up. Thank you Hot rod Company! Had it mounted with in 30 minutes of it showing up. Still waiting for the first one I ordered from Kelly.
    Went to install the throttle rod and realized the I was missing one end. If you look at the last picture of the motor you can see it on top of the air cleaner. Called Pierce Manifolds, my favorite carburetor shop. There sending one out via mail. Think I'll make one up out of a coat hanger for test drive... Will add pictures tonight....

20. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

Roadster runner 004.jpg Roadster runner 005.jpg

I test drove the Roadster today! :D It felt so good, seamed like it took for ever to get it going. Still have lots to do, mostly small stuff. It's a driver!! thats the best part... So much more roomer compaired to the Tee.
    The gear ratio seams good not to low. Hydralic throwout bearing works great. The carbs still need a little dialing in. It starts good, just hesitates when you step on the gas hard. Will richen up the main jets, may have to change to a smaller venturi. It was a long time coming, but it's finally a driver.. Registration is next...:eek:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

23. Outstanding roadster! Just read through the whole thread. Nice job

ibcalaveras likes this.
  24. brady1929

brady1929

Sweet roadster

ibcalaveras likes this.
  25. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looking good.Please keep the updates coming as you are able.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

ibcalaveras likes this.
  26. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

I did have one thing happen. The cheater slicks were stolen while on vacation. Had the 16s on at the time. It was the same time when the 56 was taken. :(

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.