Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Frustrated electrical problem on Metropolitan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lelshaddai, Oct 20, 2017.

1. lelshaddai

lelshaddai

So Polly, 61 Metropolitan needed some new electrical parts. Purchased new generator, coil and digital Voltage regulator, car already had Pertronix ignition installed. Hooked everything up and now the car will not start. It turns over fine, all other electrical is working. No spark. When I turned the switch I heard a small pop. I do not know enough on this to diagnose the problem. Here is what I do know. The digital voltage regulator has power going to the coil and generator all the time whether switch is on or off.

The voltage going into the '+' terminal on the coil is 12.5. However the '-' terminal also has 12.5 volts when the '+' is connected. ( do not know if this should happen.) The coil tested normal at 3.2ohms. So I am not sure what to do to see what is bad. The car ran with the old voltage regulator, coil and generator. It just was not charging at all. I could have burned up the Pertronix the old coil was labeled SW and CB the new + and - . Maybe the wires were crossed. But why does the Voltage stay on to the coil and generator? Could the ignition switch made the popping sound and it does not work correctly now?

I changed the car over to negative ground. The radio still works. Do I need to do the conversion to negative ground again with the new parts.

Frustrated and no idea where to start. Thought I would try here. You guys know a lot.

Jim

2. If its a generator, you have to polarize it either neg or pos ground, whichever you are using.

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Coil should not have power unless the ignition switch is in the on position. I don't believe the generator should either. Something is amiss.