Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 50 Plymouth offset engine

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 46poncho, Oct 20, 2017.

1. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

Hi guys. I have a 50 Plymouth special deluxe and I also have a baby hemi and 5 speed that I would like to mate together. I know a guy who put a v8 in a mopar, he offset the engine 2 1/2 inches to clear the stock steering box, changed the rear end but left the pig centered. He said it goes great and no vibration with the driveshaft running at an off-center angle. Is it possible? Is there magic geometry that would allow it? Thanks
    Scott

Sent from my Z917VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There is no “magic” involved. Typically, the driveshaft angles downward from the transmission to the rear end. When the pinion is not centered with the transmission, the driveshaft angles both down and a bit sideways, as you are aware. Some people refer to that as a ‘compound angle’, and technically, it may be. But the reality is, the u-joints ‘don’t care’ so long as the angles involved don’t exceed the normal range of the u-joints.

Think of it this way....look at a clock face....the driveshaft extends from 12 downward to 6 when everything is centered. Move the rear end to one side a bit and now the driveshaft extends from 12 to maybe 5. No big deal. Besides many, many factory engineered vehicles already have offset pinions and have for decades.

As an aside, many years ago (1962) I put a 1955 270 Dodge hemi in a ‘53 Plymouth convertible. I ran into the same starter to steering box clearance issue. The frame rail in that area is a 4” box section which I narrowed and moved the steering box outboard half the width of the frame and welded on a 1/2” reinforcement plate to the outside of the frame rail. The engine remained centered, but the tie rods have to be altered a bit, but it worked fine.

Your ‘50 Plymouth has essentially the same frame, but with a narrower engine compartment between the inner fenders than ‘51 and up models. For that reason alone, I suggest you explore keeping the engine centered or at least minimizing the offset. But if you have adequate clearance with the offset, go for it.

Ray

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    46poncho and blowby like this.
  3. AndersF

AndersF

46poncho likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That article is an interesting read and I read it when posted about 2 years ago. However, the way it was done with the longer ‘53/‘54 Dodge bell housing made the project more work than necessary. I commented on that in the thread in which this first appeared.

So, I suggest reading the article, but also be sure and read all the other posts that followed from various HAMB members.

Ray

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

General pinon offset is normally less than 1", but 2 1/2" is an extreme. In either case, when the axle and transmission are not inline, as viewed from the top and side, a compound angle is the result, and should be calculated to ensure the maximum U-joint working angles are within the normal operation range, normally 3 degrees.
    The info below should help better understand setting up a drive line correctly.

http://www.billavista.com/tech/pdf_index/files/Driveline and Driveshaft/Spicer Driveshaft Installation Techniques.pdf

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    46poncho likes this.
  6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Lots of cars have offset rears. The trick is that the transmission and the pinion gear are PARALLEL with the car and each other, that is pointing in straight lines towards the front and rear of the car respectively, and not yawed at an angle.

Hnstray and blowby like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

yup, keep stuff parallel/perpendicular, it'll be fine. Wife's 70 Dart has a seriously offset engine, that's how they fit the steering box in their cars. And Mopars are not the only ones, my Chevy II had the original engine offset by 11/16" to the pass side.

8. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

when I built my 50 special deluxe I removed the stock steering and installed a rack and pinon I use a caviler power rack all you do is weld a tab on each frame rail and bolt it on. I think Ply-Do makes a kit, but its not hard to do. the only way to off set it is to remove the inner fenders and heater. I would recommend a manual rack the power steering was a bitch to plumb and very sensitive.

46poncho likes this.
  9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ