Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where's the next generation of rod n custom builders?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J D, Oct 19, 2017.

1. J D

J D

Not sure where to ask this question, so I'll provide the back story to my question and you can decide how to categorize it. I grew up in norther California with classics and hot rods. In the early 90's, I drove a '53 ford to high school. Skipping ahead, 15 years ago, I bought a '66 jaguar e-type roadster for dirt cheap. Now it's worth more than my house! Two years ago I was blessed with twins! I love the jag and it's fun n all, so I'll keep it forever...or until one of the kids is ready for it. Which one? Holy cow, I need another car to will the other kid, I thought! But what will appreciate like the jag? So off I go questioning which car would increase in value over the next 20 years that I could get dirt cheap now and also love driving myself for 20 years? I narrowed it down to a 34 or 32 ford roadster and ended up with a '32... the opitemy of the early hot rod movement. I always wanted one as a kid, but dad was way too practical and I didn't have the money then. Great investment......I hope..but who cares cuz I love it!

It took almost a year to find a real one that was reasonably priced.... but when I did, I was stopped in my tracks by a question from a doctor friend who cares nothing about cars... he said, "20 years from now, whose going to care to buy it?.. all i see at car shows are grey haired guys with beards!" And that made me pause... holy crap! He was right! That's all I see too! Well, mostly anyways. All the old timers I grew up with... dads friends, are gone. As is their knowledge and lust for the the hot rod. Now I'm not so worried about my investment, but as a relatively young (45) hot rodder, I'm very worried about the hobby and the future of hot rodding. Sure I drove a '53 ford to high school.. and dad drove a '56 ford crown Victoria and I built 17 customs and rods before I was 20, but all my friends drove hondas! And that's what they think is cool nowadays... not to mention the newer generations. So, my long winded question is, has anybody else made this observation? If so, what is the solution to the problem.

2. Squablow

Squablow

I'm 36 and I've got plenty of friends who are younger than me who build old cars, I don't see the issue everyone else is seeing. The reason you only see old grey beards at car shows is because you're going to Sunday morning car shows that have nothing to do except wait until 2 when trophies get handed out and then go home.

If you're looking for a way to find more like-minded and similar aged hot rodders, or to involve more in the hobby, find or start a show or event that involves more than just sitting around. There are already some really good ones going on, they are fun and they bring in people of all ages. A good event will make someone want to build a car just to participate, and that's where the cool old greybeard guys hang out. The ones that don't just bitch about how no one will want their stuff when they're dead.

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

There are some "young guns" out there, but most of them seem to be more excited with the cars than the idea of building them. An unfortunate effect of the "instant gratification" generation. Add the fact that many of the import "performance cars' are quicker than an old car that's been worked over and the amount of time and money involved in the building and they like the idea, but don't like the reality.

Along the way many think that rust is a proper finish for a hot rod and Rat Rods are cool and you end up where the concept of garage built hot rods has evolved to today. All we can do is offer guidance to the kids that show interest in old things mechanical. There isn't much potential in trying to convert "Tuners" and videogamers into back yard mechanics.

4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

They were asking this question fifty years ago! The fact that this is a hot rod/custom site will make sure that there are plenty of posters that claim to be under 20 and into cars since they were four years old.

The fact is, the speed equipment industry is doing pretty well thank you very much. The SEMA show is expecting over 100,000 visitors next month in Las Vegas.

I suspect that the OP asked the question as it relates to the traditional rod and custom scene. I look at the entire high performance market and a kid raised on video games and the Fast & Furious series thinks his '92 Civic that can be tuned with a laptop is his idea of a '32 highboy. There are plenty of young people into cars, just not the ones we think are important.

Clay Belt, Yamagrant and Montana1 like this.

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

It's what you get for making a buying purchase about what will appreciate as opposed to what you like.

6. We have lived in the best of times, haven't we? :cool:

robracer1, chop job, jaw22w and 4 others like this.
  7. Seems I pretty similar to you OP. I drove only 50s or 60s cars in high school (I’m 43 now) bought a 356 Porsche- instead of an E type (356 has risen in value similarly) and now have twins that I’m trying to raise as gear heads (and patriots). Hopefully you bought the Jag because it’s what you wanted as I did with my 356 and by happy luck it’s worth Way More than when bought. I don’t think you can predict values so just be happy with what you get (and get what makes you happy) and teach the twins to appreciate it. Then they won’t worry about what it’s worth $ but what it’s worth - they won’t sell it, they’ll keep and drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

J D likes this.
  8. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

In my opinion if you are strictly looking for something to buy cheap now that will increase dramatically in the next 20 years you should be looking for something from the later 1970’s early 80’s and not from the 1930’s. Basic demographics is at play here. Here’s my reasoning: What age group probably has the most disposable income? I would venture to say the 55 to 65 year range. Their kids are out of school, the house is paid for, and they still have a paycheck rolling in. And they are looking at the fact that their youth is slipping away. They are going to finally have the means to buy that car they always wanted as a kid but couldn’t afford it. Most likely it will be the car from their high school days and roughly as old as they are.

In general, who now owns the cars from the 1930’s & 40’s? Guys born in the 30’s and 40’s.

I was born in the late 60’s. In high school the hottest cars to have were from the late 60’s. Most guys my age dream of muscle cars from the late 60’s or early 70’s.

In 20 years, when will those 55-65 year-olds have been born? 1972 to 1982. That is the era to target. Not very HAMB friendly, but realistically this is what I feel the general masses will want.

9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm not really sure what the OP's question really is. Is it "is the sport dying?" or is it "Will early Fords continue to appreciate in value?" I believe the answer to the first is a solid NO!, It is NOT dying, and there is plenty of attention given by younger generation, as my experience at TROG West showed me, ton's of young families there enjoying it. The answer to the second question is, I don't know. The continued retirement of the baby boom generation is unprecedented. People can take guesses on how they think it will play out, but nobody knows for sure. Will they splurge on cars they've wanted since their youth, or will they be conservative and save their finances for long term disability and adult diapers? Who knows?

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’d bet in the 60’ and 70’s muscle car era, the traditional Hotrodders were wondering who would take the baton also.

anthony myrick likes this.
  11. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 30 to 50 or so years time the roads will be completely different. Petroleum powered cars will be all but obsolete, and the roads full of driverless cars. Future generations will look back on a brief period of history of about 150 years when there were cars as we know them. Whether we like it or not it'll happen, so in that respect there is no future in what we have now as it is now. Enjoy it now. Live for the moment. Burn up some gas, why, because you can! In the long run we're all dead.

Chris

12. '51 Roadmaster

'51 Roadmaster

This is my son, Hudson. He's 6. He loves the old stuff, walks right by the new muscle and rice rockets as if they weren't even there. When I see smiling, engaged kids like this at shows, I don't worry about the future of the hobby. As long as the younger crowd has the appropriate mentors who let them get their hands dirty, are willing to pass on knowledge and fuel the passion there will be apt pupils to continue carrying the torch. They're out there. It's up to us to cultivate the next generation of rod and custom builders.
    IMG_2310.JPG IMG_2319.JPG IMG_2303.JPG IMG_3005.JPG IMG_2999.JPG IMG_2184 (2).jpg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

I didn't know those plastic cars leaked oil on the driveway. It's a good thing he is fixing that.
    the next generation of hot rodders are out there, just go to one of the 10.5 outlaw races and see how many young guns are involved. they like twin turbos and fuel injection, not carbed flatheads.
    Some of the fastest southeast Gassers are the youngest ones. they like cars, just maybe not 32 Ford roadsters. They are still hot rodders.

14. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

One of the issues at least near me are the clubs that used to do practical things like pass on the hobby to younger guys. Now its either a bunch of retired ,bitchy old jerks that wont let new blood in,or the all younger guys that dress like 50 years ago and act like a gang.
    It will be harder and harder each day to continue on anything like before. The times are changing so fast and the speed of that goes up every day too.The best thing you can do is have them get their own cars when the get around 15 and start at the bottom. They will be better off. Giving them something up front is whats wrong with things now. My son is 25. Very talented fabricator and builder. He does have fifth generation car guy blood in him but when it came down to it,he does the work himself on his own stuff. I helped with go karts and micro sprints cause he was still in school but the rest fell in place. He wouldnt want it any other way.
    And its not about what something will be worth money wise. The pay out is gotten in a different way

15. This hobby isn't dying, it's just changing. Most people here don't like how it's changing, but no one really needs their permission to work on a car either.

Kids don't care if they're helping you work on a '32 Ford, a '75 Dodge Dart four door, or a 90's Honda skate, they just want to spend time with you. When they are older THEY will let US know what's cool and what's not. (I have already been informed that I am "not cool").

Maybe you won't make a killing, but I'm pretty sure '32 Fords will be one of the last cars to bomb. Worrying about that stuff puts a kibosh on the fun of it, doesn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

TomT, 31hotrodguy, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  16. JimSibley

JimSibley

IMG_1228.JPG My 14 year old son is knee deep in his first complete build. A 27 ford roadster with a BBC . He is doing the entire build, with me only doing some of the structural welding. This is the next generation of hotrodding. Get them involved.

17. chopt31

chopt31

all the kids around here are into diesel pickups, one problem is there are not many project cars around, nothing older than 1980

jeffd1988 likes this.
  18. wicarnut

wicarnut

The Hobby is alive and well IMO, but it is going through some changes (Us Baby Boomers are aging out) and with time/change is normal. I believe in my time frame 50+ years it's changed and one thing I think about with today's youth, will they be at car shows with their Honda's, Toyota's etc. 40 or so years down the road, that's their 57 Chevy. The "Traditional" style Hot Rod has gained popularity in the last 10 years or so just as the Muscle car 64-72 has grown a lot, I see way more muscle cars now than ever. To your question as to what to buy for an investment, that's a crap shoot, If I or most on here knew that, we would have 5/10 in storage. The best story I have on that subject, around 79/80 or so, a friend bought a real 427 Cobra for $8K, had it at a show and a man offered 12K, buddy took it and was thrilled 50% profit, owned car 1 month, just polished it, tuned it, it was a very nice car, scary fast. OK fast forward to Barret Jackson 2000 or later, at one time frame, 427 Cobra's were bid up to 750K a few brought a million I believe, there were only 68 427's made. Now that's one he should have kept. We all have woulda/coulda/shoulda stories, my signature covers mine

clunker likes this.
  19. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guy's come and go from this sport, or hobby or what ever in the hell it is all the time. There is even a old thread that has been updated that deals with quitting and selling all of your cars. There is nothing new to this and it certainly is not specific just to the Hot Rod field. I have competed for years in Long Range Shooting ( 1,000) yds, before that I was very active in Professional Trap shooting. To use both of those sports as an example, there is constant talk among most of the shooters ( mostly old grey headed guys like is stated here) that the sports are going to hell and there is no young blood coming along to keep the sport going.

Often the reason given for this ( it apply's here as well by the way) is the money it takes to compete or just to get involved. True it does take money for both sports --Shooting as well as Hot Rodding--. A good trap gun is going to cost you anywhere from $5,000 to $20,000. A match rifle that is "competitive" at 1,000 yds is going to set you back just to get started $5,000 add to that the expendables like bullets, powder, primers and Barrels ( yes Barrels are expendable's a good match quality barrel is around $350.00 for the blank, add to that the chambering and that new barrel is right at $800.00, if you shoot and I mean really shoot enough to be competitive you will go thru 3 or 4 barrels a year) and you are looking at a fair amount of change. Now look at Hot Rodding. What is it going to cost just money wise, no time spent, just the money to get a car up and running? Nothing really cheap about it. Then there is the time involved it takes a dedication, for the young folks lets say a 30 or 35 year old guy with a family. He is going to have to find the time. Time away from honey do's and all of the other stuff young folks have to do. I am so damn old I can't really remember what all is involved.

It's not until fellers turn old enough to have a few grey hairs or maybe a lot of those, that he has the money or the "TIME" for these sports. That is why you see a lot of old guys at car shows. And I will say this as well for every one of those old grey headed guys at those shows there are 50 that would never show up and wait until 2 for some fake wood trophy, Some do, Most don't.

As has been stated Hot Rods and Hot Rodding is not going away, it is changing though. Is that change going to be for the better or the worse time will tell. No sense pissing and moaning about it, don't like the way things are going get off your butte and do something to change things.

I know after reading this thread I'm going to, and I've got a plan. If my plan works and anyone has interest I will post something about it tomorrow, as my plan is going into effect tomorrow.

31hotrodguy, clunker and wicarnut like this.
  20. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

There are younger generation hot rodders but they will never be seen on the HAMB. I'm 80 and welcome the change but I think the mind set here is better to die than let the rules change and I guarantee the present no change set up WILL die. I remember when the traditionalists vowed there would never be a "real" hot rod if it had tin valve covers. The Hemis and sbc finally drug them screaming and nails digging in out of the caves and into a sustainable existence. The real world is here now but there are, and always will be, ones happy in their caves. To them 600hp that idles at 600rpm and gets 25mpg is blasphemy.

impala4speed and Montana1 like this.
  21. Still got it?

Message sent using Crayons on the kitchen walls

Clay Belt likes this.
  22. Von_hartmann on IG is building my Roadster to roller and a bit beyond... He's 26!

He built a Henry J gasser at age 15! And recently he found and acquired the 57 Chevy that inspired him to build the Henry J!

Just officially started his shop in Rockford IL.

Message sent using Crayons on the kitchen walls

23. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

I feel the scene is alive and well with us younger guys 30-40. I have a pretty descent group of friends and we have all built our own hot rods, some of us are even on our second and third hot rod. Several friends own their own Hot Rod/Fab shops. Me being 34 (having a good job, the skills to build my own car, and an awesome father that has build many cars himself to lend a helping hand) I was able to build my dream car at a "young age". It took me 4 years, but a year of that was building a OT 66 Mustang to flip when I ran out of funds.
    [​IMG]

24. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The thing which worries me is that people don't seem to comprehend the role of threshold capitalization in automobile manufacturing. Raising the capitalization threshold has been the main innovation driver in the industry since the early '30s, ever since various industrial policies have caused that to be advantageous. There is no reason to suppose that that is suddenly no longer the case. And since threshold capitalization is linked to production volume, the question really is, what has to happen to ensure the right sort of numbers for the self-driving car to work? I see all kinds of scary stuff there.

25. There are more important questions; Will a "self-driving" hot rod car still do burn outs and donuts because it's an intrinsic part of it's "personality"? And will a self-driving Mercedes still veer towards a puddle to drench people standing at a bus stop for the same reason?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. From my prospective,my girls (grow women) are in their 40's and loved traveling around the country in hot rods going to and from NSRA event's but they could care less about the old cars now,the guys they married seemed interested but they lost interest and would rather play disc golf (what ever that is) or sit on their butts and play video games.

My grandson is interested in old cars,if they are early 60's Mustangs.

Our eldest granddaughter ,Hannah will inherent the wagon and she likes old cars but she is a paramedic and rarely had time to go with us anywhere.

Veda is the youngest grandchild and with a name like that you might hope see loves old cars like her grandaddy & grandma,some day she might end up with a old Deuce sedan. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  27. squirrel

squirrel

The last car I would give a kid is one with "investment potential"....they're supposed to have fun with cars! that means doing what you want with them, not worrying about what they're worth.

My dad got a 61 Impala ragtop for us boys to play with, around 1970, for $32. I sold it in the mid 80s for $500, a great return on his investment. I overhauled the engine when I was 14, overhauled the powerglide when I was 16, got started with bodywork, put a top on it, rebuilt the suspension, etc. So it was a great experience.

If I'd have held on to it for another 30 years...I would have got tired of it, because it wasn't near as fun as my truck, which he bought for $250 in 1977, and I put a big block in when I was 17, and I still have the truck.

Anyways, that has nothing to do with your question, which has already been answered. The cars that this forum is about are the ones that a different generation grew up building, and there are relatively few young folks who are into those cars. But there are a bunch of young folks that are into other ways of hot rodding cars, of all years. The overall hobby is still strong, but it's not the same as it used to be. That's how life is. Enjoy it.

28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This sport has ALWAYS had an issue with attitudes. People walk around like they have a chip on their shoulder. It's always a closed group, no newbies allowed. Even here on the HAMB I've seen one of the moderators post something about "we don't like newcomers around here", with the intent being, you're supposed to hang out for awhile, keep quiet and learn how to fit in before speaking up too much. From the earliest days it's been like this. The guys in one town did not like guys from the next town over coming into their town, cruising their scene, and especially hitting on their girls. All those teen angst movies with the new kid in town being harassed by the locals, except that one cute girl that flashes her eyes at him, then he has to fight the big man on campus, etc. There is exclusivity with car clubs, it's members only, and if you want to be a member you have to be accepted and initiated. You have to be a scrub for a while. You all know this is true. Sorry guys, but people don't play those games any more. I'm as nice a guy as you'll ever meet. I will greet anyone at an event with a smile and a handshake; but I'm not going to suck up to anyone, if that's what you want you can kiss my ass. Well, this exclusivity of clubs, I guess it worked for a while, but in the long run it's hurt, because now they're dying off with no younger generation coming in. Look at the younger generation, the guys with the tats and beards, bro hats and pendeltons, you think they're gonna kiss some gold chainers ass in order to join their club? Bwhaaaahaaahaaaa!

Look, I still see the attitudes out there at events. The single best thing that you guys could do, if you want hot rodding to continue on to the future generations, is drop the attitude. A smile costs you nothing. A guy that walks up to your car and asks a question wants to talk about your car, and his car, so talk. Share the knowledge, share the enthusiasm.

29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Nice car! But damn, you're gonna put a 16 y.o. in a 27T w/ a tuned up BBC? Shit, that's a recipe for disaster. I'd make him drive it in the dirt first and learn how to handle it when the front and rear ends want to swap places, let him learn how to feather the throttle, and what happens when he feeds it too much, so he doesn't wrap it around a telephone pole.

jeffd1988 and 31hotrodguy like this.