Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Brian Bass on Fast & Loud

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xracer40, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

That is a beautiful looking car. What's the color on it?

Sent from my Z971 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @HEMI32 for the pictorial additions complimenting the thread.

3. Don't care for any of the gas monkey crap, though I did like Arron's Falcon, and the Dart he built to blow Furburger's doors off. But I would be happy with any car Joe Martin builds. And he does it with minimum drama.

4. Most of the drama on all those shows are manufactured by the producers of said shows..

5. I agree,
    I wonder where they got the idea that a bunch of gearheads require drummed up BS drama to watch their shows, when in reality, more of us would watch if there weren't any.

I do believe though that because of these shows, interest/continuation of our hobby will benefit, from a larger audience.

6. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

WOW, that is freaking gorgeous!!!

loudbang and 34toddster like this.
  7. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Wow, thanks so much for the positive support so far!

I'll be honest, I was a little skeptical that I could help these guys build a hot rod like this in the time frame that is necessary to produce a television show, but we pulled it off. It was right around 2 months start to finish, and that almost seems impossible looking back on it now.

I am extremely proud of the car we built, and of all the guys at GMG that went above and beyond to build a bitchin' traditional hot rod. This is not their usual style of build, but they adapted and let me bring a whole lot of my style to the table. It wasn't without some hurdles, which you will probably see if you watch the show.

Hopefully the show will make a positive impression on the general public regarding what it's like to build a real hard-core hot rod, and how rewarding it can be when you get to drive it. Ultimately a lot of that's up to the people that put the show together. But I feel like we did the best we could to give them a realistic idea of what it takes to build a car like this, even if we had to hustle through it.

Side note: I've been a member of the H.A.M.B. since before 2001, and I've seen a lot of TV related threads get locked. However, this is the only place on the internet right now that has all those build photos that Hemi32 posted in one spot (other than my Instagram), so I think it would be cool if Ryan and the mods saw fit to let this one ride. I know the show and some of its characters aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I think the car itself fits in on the H.A.M.B. Just fine.

-Brian

8. Probably because gear heads aren't the target audience. True gear heads and car guys are such a small demographic. They want to appeal to people who 'like' old cars, not necessarily those that own and work on old cars. The same way that Ice Road Truckers or Deadliest Catch don't focus on blue sky uneventful days, they only focus on the danger and the disaster. The drama. Much bigger demographic for that.

9. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

As a bonus just for you guys, here's a photo of the car as we found it. I haven't shared it anywhere else yet.

It had been sitting here since the mid-60s.

IMG_9678.JPG

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ya know guys most places I have worked there was drama some good some not so and everything in between...most of the time we were the directors...:p...Many times I uttered in private to colleagues was another day at As the World Turns. Some of the BS and antics were worthy of film...:D. I always say life at work is generally serious stuff but a little humour never hurts and is food for the heart. Kinda like this place...serious but keep a sense of humour close by...it's good for the comradery...;)

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lucky us...thats kinda like finding King Tuts treasure only better...;)...thanks for sharing that...congrats...​

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  12. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Hey Bass! Thanks for the insight and posting a picture of how the car was found. I can't wait to see the show. I would like to see how a traditional car is built. I would love to do one myself.

chryslerfan55, ls1yj and loudbang like this.
  13. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

loudbang likes this.
  14. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

The paint color was mixed by Mike Coy there in the shop. It's loosely based on photos of the Lajoie-Redding Bluebird Special '33 Ford that campaigned on the East Coast in the early 60s. That and maybe a little bit of '56-57 Corvette Arctic Blue.

It was mixed in DeBeers base/clear. (Valspar)

15. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

Beautiful! What alternator and mounting bracket is that?

SAVAGE and loudbang like this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not a fan of the show but I am of this car. Well done sir!

17. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful car! Great job!

loudbang likes this.
  18. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

19. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Most auto shows these days are just long commercials for the parts they use. I don't know why the producers create drama in all of these reality shows. The builds done on short timelines are difficult too. I'd rather have a vehicle built without it being rushed and the builders working overtime. Off course viewers might not want to wait 2 years to complete a build.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Lajoie-Redding Bluebird Special '33 @ Drag Strip.jpg
    Lajoie-Redding Bluebird Special '33 @ 1965 Hartford CT car show.jpg

21. lowrd

lowrd

Brian, Your attention to detail is unsurpassed. Saw your ride at Hot Rod Arama a few years ago. Great attention to the small stuff which makes all the difference. Keep up the high standards. Thanks

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  22. RMONTY

RMONTY

I'd like to see Brian teamed up with the Martins from Iron Resurrection...that show doesn't have a bunch of hokey drama and they show at least the basics of some of the metal work involved in the hobby/business during the builds. They seem genuine even if they do use those crappy low profile way too big wheels and tires on a lot of builds.

23. Just an FYI ...

The Martin Bros Customs shop is located in Johnson City, Texas ... ~45 miles west of Austin ... and ~240 miles south of Brian @Bass' Bass Kustom shop in Dallas.

Considering @Keith Tardel's Rex Rod & Chassis shop is now located on the Martin Bros property, I'm actually hoping to see Keith's craftsmanship featured on an episode of "Iron Resurrection".

Side note: Keith is performing the final assembly on Lindsey Wade's Hemi-powered, chopped Model A Coupe [a Hot Rod built by Brian (build thread HERE)] ... and the Martin Bros shop painted the chassis & body (356 Porsche White).

24. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

You know what I like a lot about that shop. They all seem like family. They seem to be having fun.

25. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Thanks! I made the alternator bracket there at GMG. I just cut it out of a chunk of 6061 aluminum and made the stainless arm.

oldsjoe, AHotRod, D-Russ and 6 others like this.
  26. Rand Man

Rand Man

Excellent work Bass! Was that Chevy upholstery material your idea? It’s probably mentioned in the show, but I don’t have cable. I’ve always wanted use that material somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and kiwijeff like this.
  27. I'm already drooling over this car, and hoping it don't take to long for the build to be available down here.
    I watch as many car shows as I can, regardless of any thing I don't like, cause it's easy to fast forward, or find another show.
    If RR keeps pumping outstanding cars like this out, his ratings would go sky high!:D

loudbang likes this.
  28. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

I wondered why that car is shown in the cut scenes on "Iron Resurrection" , that makes sense now.

chryslerfan55 and HEMI32 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.