Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I Just Bought a Hot Rod Model A Roadster That Was Built In 1959...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Jun 7, 2017.

1. brad2v

brad2v

Condolences here too sir. This is a great story going on here. Very very cool that yourself and Mike have shared all of this. Thanks.

2. greaser

greaser

My condolences to you Lanny for the loss of your best friend.

chryslerfan55 and cactus1 like this.
  3. Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Sounds like you have great memories of growing up and building hotrods together.
    Thank you for joining the HAMB and sharing your memories and knowledge with us.

4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Condolences from the pine tree state....
    and with the hot rod history that you posted here... his memory will live on...
    bravo Flintstones !

brad2v and cactus1 like this.
  5. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Wanted to congratulate you Mike for acquiring such a special hot rod! Any updates on the 303?

chryslerfan55 and cactus1 like this.
  6. Lanyard

Lanyard

Thanks TA and Hombre, you never know when selling the buyers intentions, so it's great to here that the buyer is not "trashing" all your work and ideas.

7. Lanyard

Lanyard

cactus you have done a great job of explaining your new project.Looks like there was a lot of "crud" build up over the years. I do remember having trouble towing it from the turkey barn storage to my Son's garage, so just called a tow truck as it didn't want to turn. Now I know why. "March on!"

8. Thanks man I appreciate it! The opportunity to own a genuine old build and bring it out of hibernation is an opportunity I never thought I'd have in life?! I did a little cranking on it last weekend with not much luck. The old starter was sounding a bit taxed so I took it in for a rebuild and got it back last night after work. I got it reinstalled and messed around with it a little. It still doesn't seem to be spinning as fast I think it should though so I'm looking at some other issues. I got it to pop a couple times but that's it. Hopefully I can get back out to the shop tonight.

Thanks Lanny. It's amazing the toll the years dormant can take on this stuff! All those moisture attracting fluids have made a mess of things, ha! Of course I foolishly thought I'd be driving it by now but if we don't have our dreams what do we have, haha!

9. 31chevymike

31chevymike

The anticipation of hearing that old mill is worth the wait Mike! I experienced this myself with the '61 283 Chevy in mine, which was tucked away in a home built garage since 1976. After 3 months of thrashing on my coupe with a buddy who completely wired the hot rod, we fired up that little mouse after 19 years! It will surely be another "special" moment for you, Lanny and the rest of us eager HAMBERS!

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Smack021488

Smack021488
    from Chicago

11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( Sorry to hear of the passing of tour friend.It always hurts.
    Leo

chryslerfan55, loudbang and cactus1 like this.
  12. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Damn Mike! I started checking out your '34 Chevy Truck build, got up to page 12 and started seeing RED X's marked on your photos. Nothing you did at all, must be this damn photo bucket issue where in order to see all photos, you need to bend over and pay $300 for some sort of subscription. Then, after some point around page 23 or so, the photos become visible again. Take it as it is I guess...

13. Hey Sam I didn't know you were on here! Awesome!

Hey Mike! Yes unfortunately a lot of those photos didn't make it through one of the Hamb upgrades for some reason? There were a few on Photobucket but not really that many once @Ryan made it easier to host the photos here directly. The problem is I'm too lazy to go back and fill them in even if I knew what used to be there, ha! Thanks for taking the time to check it out anyway!

14. 31chevymike

31chevymike

No big deal Mike. I was getting into the '34 build, right to the point where you stripped everything off to finish your welds on the chassis. Man, that video of you and your wife cruising up the Hill Climb Run was awesome! Well, enough of the '34 - ON TO THE ROADSTER!! Hopefully we'll hear some great news on the firing up of the 'ol 303!

15. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Mike, any updates to share?

16. Well, nothing good, ha! I did some more cranking without much luck. After talking with a friend I think compression is low from sitting dormant so I'm soaking the rings a bit. Last week I said the starter didn't seem to be cranking much better than it was before the rebuild. Well this would explain it???

image.jpeg

See it in action here...

https://instagram.com/p/Bahu1xJgvek/

So, I decided to clean the shop instead...:mad:

17. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Oh man. I would have to take a few and walk off the mad before I went back to the rebuilder for an explanation on that one.

18. Yes, they are not open on Saturdays which worked out for them! :D

19. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Hey, a set back happens from time to time, although I would love to be there at the shop who "supposedly" rebuilt your starter and see the expression on his face. Let us know Mike and sure would make another interesting post on your thread...

chryslerfan55, cactus1 and loudbang like this.
  20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! And they charged you for a rebuild? Are you going to see what their "explanation" is before you let us know who this ripoff rebuilder is?

I might have a starter from a 394 Olds, if that will fit you're welcome to try it.

21. Hey Bob! I’m sure it was just a strange oversight? We’ll see what they say? I’ve had good luck with them in the past. I appreciate the offer. I took the one off the 371 but it is different (shorter, different bendix, etc.) Hopefully they will put a rush on the re-re build, ha!

22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I'm not sure how that can be alibied as an oversight! :confused::confused::confused:

23. Yeah I’m not sure either @Dick Stevens? I’m trying to be less of an asshole in my older age? Ha!

brad2v, loudbang, dana barlow and 2 others like this.
  24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I'm thinking of it as reality check instead of being an asshole!

25. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Still, the starter issue might end up working in your favor, since you're soaking the rings (more time to work in). With your heads off, are you soaking the rings with engine oil or MARVEL Mystery oil?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. The heads are back on. I had freed everything up from being stuck in the bores initially. I think it’s just dry from sitting now. I had been spraying with WD-40 while the heads were off just to keep the moisture out.

When I was rolling it over I put some ATF in the holes to seal up the rings and make some compression... and then the starter quit starting :confused:.

27. Lanyard

Lanyard

Mike, I have a friend that owns Allens Armature Repair, at 18th and Central KC Ks. Been ther for years. He has several "Rods also. If you ever have electrical problems, he is reliable.

28. Lanyard

Lanyard

Do you give lessons Mike?

29. Funny you should mention Allen Armature...
    o_O

Like I said, I’ve had good luck in the past?

I do not, but I could use some if you know someone, ha!

30. I'm just imagining one guy writing up the tag that it needs to be rebuilt and repainted. He puts it on the bench and goes home sick. His colleague puts some power to it, it spins over, and he figures it's been rebuilt, but not repainted yet. He repaints and you get it back.