Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Looking good Andy! You're a mad scientist with the metal work joining the Merc windshield to your Buick. At first I was wondering why you were going through all of that trouble and now I understand. I know it will look good when you're done.

aw1950 likes this.
  2. Getting it done . Half the opening welded in . Coming along well . I wasn't sure but now I see it will look good .

Attached Files:

LONG and Hivolt5.0 like this.
  3. Got ahead of it some more today ! I was able to get the passenger side all tacked in but it still needs some finessing . A buddy of mine gave me a hand while he was here and we mocked up the hood to check flow with body line etcetera etcetera . I am torn as to fill the cowl area with a filler piece or to add to the back of the Buick hood to make it stretch to the Mercury opening . Both options will work and will be kustom in their own right . I just don't know which option I prefer !! Comments / opinions ????

Attached Files:

DirtyNapkin and hacknwhack like this.
  4. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

5. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

6. LoL , how about cowl induction ???

Hivolt5.0 and hacknwhack like this.
  7. diamonddrew

diamonddrew

Wow! Andy, your work and progress is incredible. Honestly, since I sold my Buick a few years ago I haven’t been on other to check in on your build. Keep up the great work!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

aw1950 likes this.
  8. LONG

LONG

I think the hood should have the same VEE that the windshield has.

hacknwhack likes this.
  9. Yes sir that is what I have decided to do Andy . Not getting much time on the car at the moment . Fall jobs to get done before the weather turns but stay in touch as I move along . Andy..

LONG likes this.
  10. DirtyNapkin and hacknwhack like this.
  11. Just a small update . Progress on hood extension . Every time you think something won’t take to long , bam it kicks your ass . I am figuring 40 hours of fabrication to fill the void created with the window graft .

12. Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    hacknwhack likes this.
  13. Was able to get out in shop today . Mock up front clip again for the umpteenth time . Necessary to do in order to get things relatively close before filler application . Don't need 1/2 " of filler because I did not want to take my time during fabrication . Needed the mock up in order to get the dimensions of the filler piece needed between hood back and cowl extension .

Attached Files:

14. More progress on getting the cowl to hood closed in from today .

Attached Files:

15. Keep plugging away Andy and you'll be done before you know it!

aw1950 and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  16. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

aw1950 likes this.
  17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Insane amount of work, love your determination and vision.

hacknwhack likes this.
  18. Well Jimmy , it’s been 8 years in August but this summer is the go year hell or high water. Well that’s what I am telling myself lol !

biggeorge and BrerHair like this.
  19. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    After a month of welding , fabrication, filler work on the transition from Buick to Mercury opening I can safely say that it will be into a good coat of high build by the end of the weekend . Boring stuff I know but for the few that are sticking with me I just wanted to let you know progress is being made . Tie into the Buick dash at ends are 95% complete as well . Maybe some outside shots this weekend we'll see . Later , Andy...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Great progress! And an interesting mod, for sure. Keep at it!

aw1950 likes this.
  21. Took a week off to get some serious work done on the Buick . Header panel in final filler . The last pic is what I am contemplating for the hood . Rounding it off . I will think on that one . Bows the time because the back of the hood is the last major piece of bodywork.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    tb33anda3rd, biggeorge and hacknwhack like this.
  23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hadn't seen your thread before. Looked at the first pictures and then cheated and jumped to today's pics. Wow, what a transformation!

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

aw1950 likes this.
  24. Thanks Ricky bop. , Here's some trivia for ya . I know that you have been in contact with Steve ( Koolkemp) He's having a tough go of things at the moment . I see a 55 now in his yard . This car stuff is pure therapy for some of us . Anywho, My Buick now has a 49 Merc opening , I bought it from Steve. He sold it to me Aug, of 16 and I started to graft it in Aug, 17 . Whew a lot of work , on and off, 6 months to get it where I could say I was done . Steve and I are somewhat close to one another . He is in Nova Scotia and I in New Brunswick . Great guy , I wish him the best !

25. Also with this I am going to have to make a new fender mounting pad . Not much of an issue though , just time . Other than the hood the car will be in complete primer by Sunday ! Maybe some outside shots to get the effect ,it all depends on the weather , right now where getting walloped with a spring nor easter .

hacknwhack likes this.
  26. Looking better every time you post updates!! Can hardly wait to see it in paint.

27. Thanks Dave , I see you are having quite a time with getting the truck running properly . Correct plugs I assume ? Maybe running to hot , maybe bad plugs altogether . I had that happen before . Fords like autolites . Just my 2 cents for what its worth .

Hivolt5.0 likes this.
  28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very good to know you, Andy. Thanks for making it personal. I'm honored. I consider Steve to be a friend, and any friend of his is a friend of mine. These old cars are cool, but it's the people who share the hobby that are the most important. Would you do me a favor?...continue being a friend to Steve. And I hope I'm not being too presumtious to say...maybe even give him a little help with his '55. When the going gets tough, it's good to have friends nearby.
    Much respect to you for all the hard work you've done on your Buick! I've owned some Buicks...including a '51 Roadmaster, so I have special (super?...lol) interest in your project. Later! - Rick

tb33anda3rd and aw1950 like this.
  29. DirtyNapkin

DirtyNapkin
    from Napa, Ca

aw1950 likes this.