Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mustang question, not off-topic, I swear!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gimpyshotrods, Oct 19, 2017.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does anyone have a 1964-1/2 to 1966 Mustang here and will take a measurement for me?

I want to see if the shock towers are taller than those on my 1960 Falcon. As the towers are now, running Mustang coils requires a ton to be cut off of them to get the car where I want it, leaving be with little spring, and short travel (not to mention increased spring rate).

If the Mustang ones are taller, I could graft them in, and run taller springs. I have run the current ones to full-block a few times. That ain't fun.

I already have balljoint wedges, and a 1-3/4" drop on the UCA's.

I am looking for the distance A-C, via B, the "knee" on the tower. It does not have to be laser precise. Just perpendicular to the subframe rail, past the "knee" and up to the bend at the top of the inner fender:
    ST.JPG

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Pardon my ignorance but does this refer to the measurement between the centreline of the tower bolt holes where the upper control arm attaches, and the underside of the tower where the coil springs seat; or is it the measurement from the surface where the top control arm spring saddles are attached and the underside of the tower?
    The V8 Mustang is a heavier car (3,000lbs) with I believe are larger diameter and heavier (thicker) coils than early Falcon (2,300lbs).

3. I can't speak to your '60, but the later first-gen Falcon/Comet towers are the same as the Mustang. I ran into the same issue when I owned my '64 Comet and wondered the same thing; checking showed there was no appreciable difference. I never did find an acceptable front spring before I sold the car. I had the best luck with cut stockers...

I surmised that it may be the difference in weight distribution; the Mustang had more weight in the front than the Comet did.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, no stock springs here. I have 570 in-lb springs in it now. It is not a spring rate issue, per-se. I don't have enough up-travel.

I will probably just build cups on the tops, to raise the the top of the spring as much as it can go, without hitting the hood.

Tim likes this.

5. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18-1/4 inches

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks!