Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Guidance with possible 33 project.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 19blockhead72, Oct 15, 2017.

1. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

Hey guys, haven't been here in a couple years. So I have a project that I'm kicking around and want some opinions. My father has a 1933 Chevy rsc that is just sitting wanting some attention. The car is a very complete driver with a terrible green and green paint scheme. So I'm trying to decide to fix it up and leave it stock or do a mild 50's high schoolers hot rod.
    My thoughts were to use all old parts and upgrade the drive train to a 235 stove bolt 6 and some 15x5 period steel wheel and tire tires. I didn't really want to a major street rod build, something realistically done back in the day. I've never messed with anything pre 1950, so this is all new to me.
    My questions are, would this be something that would have been done back in the day, what would have to be done to body and frame to support a 150 hp 6, and brakes/steering. In my mind it would be nice to be able to put it back to factory in the future if someone would want.
    Side note on the car too. The only thing that sucks about the car other than the paint is that it has glass fenders and boards. I would say the cars condition is a weak 3, decent driver.

slv63, Stogy and teem74 like this.
  2. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

Couple pictures.

Attached Files:

3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

weak 3..
    if that was a ford it would be worth the best 1/2 of a college education...

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  4. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Good looking coupe, not a big fan of the colors but still nice. A 235 with a split manifold and dual glass packs would be a great period up grade but still a 55 - 60 mph car. A set of 15" wheels and hubcaps would give it a 50's look.

5. I'd get it road worthy and drive it.The green is ok.

6. @tb33anda3rd

@themoose

That's a very nice car, that I'd love to see in my garage. Plenty of Chebbie' guys here. You're a lucky guy. Have fun.

Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  7. 2935ford

2935ford

Make it road worthy and have fun.........

8. redo32

redo32

Nothing wrong with glass fenders. They help get the car back on the road with a reasonable cost. I'm a bit street roddy for the guys around here & I would consider a newer engine for reliability. Maybe a 250 "6" and a overdrive auto or 5 speed. Dropped axle with discs and a later rear. A couple sets of wheels to change it up once in a while. I think the frame is good as is, but I haven't built a chevy, so maybe somebody will tell us if they have. Of course a sbc will fit real well. I found this for a little inspiration, click the link for a father & son story. https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hmn/2016/08/1933-Chevrolet-Standard-Coupe/3749998.html

33 chev.jpg

cactus1, Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  9. Neat car hydraulic brakes, 12 volts and enjoy it.

10. Kinky6

Kinky6

Get a front axle from an early '50's Chevy pickup truck, maybe '52-'early '55, they have the same spring spacing w/ self adjusting brakes. The frame will be strong enough for just about any 235" that you put in there. You might talk to the Chevy guys in Casa Grande, AZ, for options to upgrade your rear axle and keep your enclosed drive line. Sorry, having a brain fart, can"t think of their name. Got it, Patrick's in Casa Grande. BTW, my suggestions at based on you keeping your six lug wheels by using truck parts; paul55 has some good ideas on using car parts to switch over to the Chevy 5 lug pattern.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  11. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

Wow thanks for the responses so far. I'm a hot rod guy at heart and when I see a car like this first thing that I think is what can I do to make this cooler. That being said I may just start with getting it back on the road. Thanks redo32, great story and some good ideas. My biggest challenge if I would decide to continue would be what to source the parts from.

teem74 likes this.
  12. Squablow

Squablow

I like the green just fine. From most of the old magazines I've read, it was the GMC engine that was the hot swap into an early Chevy, and there are speed parts available to give them big horsepower. Not that a 235 or even better a 261 would be a bad choice, along with a stronger transmission and upgraded brakes/axles (if necessary). Some solid steel wheels with caps and WWW tires also sounds nice. Lots of cars of the period were upgraded in that manner in the 50's, they weren't all fenderless and chopped.

I could see that for sure. I wouldn't mess with the paint or body unless you were able to locate some steel fenders, then I may reconsider.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Very nice coupe, nothing wrong with green :)

14. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I'd say 55-57 Chevy rear, 49-54 front brakes and nothing wrong with a '55-57 235. Then some 15" wheels and '54 Chevy caps. So, basically your 50's h.s. hot rod. 265 or 283 would be cool though.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ted should be posting soon with advice and photos of Mikes green three window as well, the three of you can start a Green '33 Chevy 3Window Club. Bob

16. kidcampbell71, Stogy and The37Kid like this.
  17. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

Well once again, this was the right place to ask the questions I had. I was thinking everybody would say that I would have remove the wood and weld the frame and put a blower on it lol. I really don't want to chop the car all up and if it came to that I would leave it stock. I'm going to sit and read some build threads and get friendly with the car and go from there. I got all winter to tinker. Thanks for the replies everybody.

18. Thats a sharp car. Weak 3? Looks like an 8 to me from the photos. I even like the green.

tb33anda3rd and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

Oh don't get me wrong, it's a really nice car. I was giving a condition rating when I said it's a 3 just to give everyone an idea of what I'm starting with.

20. My buddy, Bob's 32 chevy.....hot rod 261, T-5 trans...neat as a pin. This is the basic build plan I'd follow bobchaleks31rear.jpg Bobchaleks32coupeinterior.jpg bobchaleks32chev.jpg

21. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

Super cool 32 rocky, that's what I've got in mind.

22. 6inarow

6inarow

Me too. all I need is the coupe

23. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

Does anyone know of a write up on doing a hydraulic brake swap on a 33. Would really like to keep it period and not take the easy road with a disc conversion. Also do the later six cylinders have any similarities with the stocker? Same block? I'm just looking to build a fun driver not a race car, got one of those.

24. That looks like a nice "original" car.
    I'd say don't screw it up. I'd just drive it and have fun.
    If ya need to hit the highway at higher speeds, take the race car.................................

25. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

Chances are I will leave it alone for a while because of cash flow, just learning my options if I would decide to go this direction. And if I do rod it in the future it will be very mild.