Register now to get rid of these ads!

For once I need a small engine...any ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, Apr 20, 2006.

1. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

2. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

o you said small nv/m

Attached Files:

3. Well my 2 cents worth on this would be to look at a inline 4 cylinder (Chevy or Ford) (none of that Jap stuff) surely you can fit something like that in there? OR...make your own frame set up & drop the little body on it. If you really need a hood you can always fab a new longer one...It may be easier to go that route.:D Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy

4. 122wagon

122wagon
    from nowhere

small, very cool lookin, can make good hp. parts readily available.

they make sweet finned valve covers for these too

if youre interested its a volvo engine. b18's and b20s make good platforms, you can step up to b21's or b23s but those are newer and often fuel injected.

bolt on blower kits are available for 150-300 hp applications.

Attached Files:

5. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

'91-'93 Dodge 2.2 Turbo TIII engine. 224 hp stock, can reach over 300hp real cheap and easy. Kinda rare, but Lotus designed head, intercooled, etc. They made the Spirit sedan run 0-60 in 5.8 seconds.

6. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

go rotary, it's not just small, but light weight, too. more than 1 hp per pound!

7. yeah 13B one of the most successful motors in history.. boost the shit out of it

8. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

How about the 1.7 liter Ford V4 used in the Saab Sonnet sports car and the Ford Taunus. Here's a pic of the V4 nestled in the Taunus engine bay.

Now THAT mill would be a nice fit for your Fiat.:cool:
    [​IMG]

9. I was driving home from the Roundup a few weeks ago, daydreaming about this 57 VW oval window I can get cheap. I was wondering what would be the best power-plant for it in chopped, nonfendered fashion when it hit me....all I had to do was simply part-out the very car I was driving! That car is an old, beat up 944 Porsche with a fuel injected 2.5 litre, aluminum block and head, 5 speed transaxle that looks almost like a Halibrand quick change. All the wiring is already in place.
    It could work for you too. The car comes with a torque tube that can be cut down as short as you need. I believe it makes 150 HP and buzzes to 6.5 easily. Has a factory header that looks like a snake pit and all the aluminum can be polished or satin-finished. The engine is a water pumper, so it's gonna need a cooling system but it takes a pretty small radiator to cool 150 HP and believe me, 150 hp will move a fiat...

Attached Files:

10. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

the problem with a Hotrod Crosley engine is main bearings are getting hard to find.

Some guys are having the bearing shells re-babbited.

11. vesparex

vesparex

Could Egge help out?

Duane

12. Winfab

Winfab

unclescooby.....you're right on the size of the 215 being similar to a SBC. I have a 215 Buick I probably won't end up using any time soon. I also have a 2-4Bbl intake for it (ver-r-r-y rare! - wouldn't be cheap) I'd consider selling. I have a 215 Olds in my T roadster. The roadster weighed about 1200# without fuel.

I also have a Crosley engine (they're just cute as heck) that I'm waiting for a buyer to come pick up. If he doesn't show up in the next few weeks it'll be for sale, again.

You can e-mail me at [email protected] if you'd be interested in either.

13. imperial

imperial

The buick 215 is a nice lightweight engine.
    If you need smaller you might want to take a look at a VW VR6 engine.

14. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I kinda stuffed the traditional idea and went with a 2004 Hayabusa setup. It's light, makes huge power with aftermarket parts for ridiculous power, gets mileage, and it's small enough to hide in an otherwise traditional car. I won't tell if you won't. Should be good and keep the car right at 1000 pounds. THanks guys.

15. tjm73

tjm73

If you want compact powerful engines I'd have to say look to the "big" motorcycles like the Suzuki Hayabusa and Kawasaki ZX12. Both make about 180ish hp at the crank and put about 155-160 to the wheel. The 'Busa also puts about 100 ft/lbs to the wheel. They have 6 speed sequential tranmissions and both are drag raced heavily so weak parts have been id'd and stronger parts are out. Turbo and NOS (not 'noss' - nitrous oxide systems) kits are available for both engines. Look for a crash victum and you're most of the way there. The Hayabusa has been virtually unchanged since introduced in 1999. Only thing changed was an electronic limiter to 186 mph for the top speed in 2001. Other than that I am not aware of any mechanical difference from 1999-2006 in the engine. If you think the weight of your car is an issue they are both heavy bikes in the 550-600 wet weight range add a 200 pound rider and a 130 pound passenger and they still haul ass. I believe it would work VERY well.

16. stratocaster

stratocaster

V-8.Don't compromise.Wanna sound like a fart can? Play around with seating like drag racers do. Sit in the trunk. -Strat.

17. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

When I was single, I used to open the car door for my dates, not because I was a gentleman but because it gave me the opportunity to walk around behind the car and fart out whatever we'd had for dinner. There wasn't any other place to fart on a date where the girl wouldn't hear it. I walked in front of, or behind the car, depending on which way the wind was blowing. There's no point in having her not hear the fart if you are just going to drag the smell in with you. The girls always thanked for being such a gentleman and I always thought "more than you know baby, more than you know."

I agree with you on the V8 thing but it looks like I'm going small on this one. I'm building a bigger V8 for my other car to help me feel better about this decision.

18. steevil

steevil

79-86 Mustangs were carberated and were available with 4 speeds and 5 speeds. The 2.3 went injected in 87 and 2 plugs per cylinder in 92 or 93.

Ford Rangers also had the 2.3 from 84 on. Later years had a factory tubular style header.

Pintos had an optional 2.3 in the later years but I've never actually seen one.

some 2.0l pinto stuff is interchangeble if you wanted to eliminate ALL electronic stuff. The 2.3 had some abortion electronic carb starting in 84.

I'm not sure if any Ford Courier/Mazda stuff is interchangeble.

Thunderbirds, Merkur XR4ti's, and some Mustangs had a turbocharged version.

Early Mustang GTs had a carberated turbo 2.3 but are pretty rare as the turboes self destructed frequently.

19. marq

marq

Buick 215(Rover V8) every time .small ,light and powerful as hell.Lots of performance parts for them not only that you can get a twin webber conversion straight off the shelf for them as well as cams,forged pistons,h beam rods,gas flowed heads all this stuff ready done and is quite cheap.You can bore and stroke to over 300 ci and get over 500 hp outa that little motor,the big advantage apart from power is looks the block polished looks awesome.................Marq

20. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

How about one of those Pontiac slant 4's? The ones they used in Tempests and Lemans from 61-63. I'm trying to pick up a 63 Lemans that has one with a 4bbl intake and carb on it that I might just get rid of.

21. KSGerry

KSGerry

Mopar inline four race engines and an Autocraft Stage II...

Attached Files:

22. KSGerry

KSGerry

Autocraft Stage II engine (race version of an air-cooled VW)...

Attached Files:

23. how about a 4.3 Chevy v-6? Did they put Mini Cooper engines in anything RWD??? they're pretty tiny and make decent hp. Quad 4? Lotus Cortina??

24. My Olds/Buick 215 is actually as long os a SBC and only a couple of inches narrower.

I'd consider a V6 out of an early 70s Mustang II. Or a Chevy/Mercruiser 181 four banger.

25. krooser

krooser

that's WANKER..dumb ass Hoosier...hahaha...hi scoob....

26. krooser

krooser

Cox .049...

Attached Files: