Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Am I Just Too Cheap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr.chevrolet, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Exactly!!!
    We gotta start hanging around with "@Mo rust", he finds running Roadsters for $2500 (from the latest glass vs. steel thread)

[​IMG][​IMG]damn!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    luckythirteenagogo likes this.
  2. mramc1

mramc1

Me either. I sold an off topic car to a young couple for 4K and the dude shows up with 200 twenties. I was like, "What's wrong with hundreds?" He said, "You trust hundreds?" I respond, "You trust twenties??" Literally took me three times to count it to make sure it was right and then three trips to the credit union to turn the twenties back into a manageable stack. If I have to pay for anything over $200 I always use hundreds and if they are not all available then fifties. Trying to count out a 4" high stack of small bills in the wind is BS.

3. raymay

raymay

100's is usually the best but I remember days that I would have welcomed a stack of 20's. When we owned our salvage yard one of our many licenses was for a used car dealer. We had some regular customers who would drive out from the city to buy cars. They always had a wad of cash. Many times the cash was in 5's and 10's. That can be a lot of bills when buying a $1500 or $2500 car. We would have to take them into the back office to count it out. Just thinking I might be glad I never came near a drug sniffing dog after handling and carrying those bills.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

She might know how much money her husband had in it. If it doesn't run you have to assume the motor is junk. You have to go by what it's worth to you when you're buying. There was a local man who had a farm field full of old cars that people parked there to get rid of them in the 50s when they weren't worth anything. People tried to buy some but he didn't want to sell. His son inherited them and was willing to sell at the right price which was very high for very rusty vehicles. The State passed environmental regulations requiring all fluids be drained so they didn't leak out on the ground. The County ended up going to court and getting them hauled to a scrapyard where he got paid by the ton minus the fee to load and transport them.

5. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

For sure!!! And its only going to increase...

6. 68hillbilly

68hillbilly
    from KENTUCKY

I think a big stack of 20s would only appeal to someone too stupid to count . Give me Ben Franklin's every time. Also I too have to chuckle a bit bit when we talk about values. Usually a lot of bs floating around. So called experts that think everyone else's stuff is way too high, but their stuff ,no matter what the condition is always rare, hard to find and worth top dollar. Pay what you feel comfortable paying. And don't cry about it if you never get a good car because your too cheap.

Squablow likes this.
  7. WTF really

WTF really

I think you made a good and fair offer. That's more than I paid for mine but I know I'm cheap. Lol

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

My race car was sponsored for years by a guy who owned a vending company and he gave me my monthly sponsorship money in one dollar bills. A stack of one's spends just as well a stack of hundred's. It fed my race cars for 12 years.

Flop likes this.
  9. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I called her last night to get an update. no answer, left a message, maybe she'll call. this was her brothers car, used to write up an engineering study of Ford engineering. brother was a mechanical engineer/college professor. now in a nursing home. car being sold to pay bills.

10. phat rat

phat rat

You guys talk about getting a stack of 5's 10's or 20's. Years ago I sold an off topic truck and the guy gave me $400 of it in 1's said he played bingo a lot.

pat59 likes this.
  11. i actually had a clown, yes a real clown, pay me $325 in coins for a pair of 46 ford six cylinder engines.

clunker and Black Panther like this.
  12. Carz4sale

Carz4sale
    from New york

If they said make a offer I never do , once I gave a offer if $5,000 anotherguy came there and said any offers yet he said yes , then he said $5,050 got the car . No best offers again

13. raymay

raymay

Bingo was probably what he would tell his Wife. Perhaps more likely he was a frequent visitor at his local ballet where he used his dollars to play a lot of "Tuck A Buck".

14. Lowtek32

Lowtek32

Great thread. FWIW this car is for sale on a marketplace board. Poster is claiming car has a history and posting for a relative

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. 5window

5window

Wait, first post and that's what you've got? Post the link, or at least the site and stop dancing around in the bushes.

16. Lowtek32

Lowtek32

Ok,make it clear I am only a shopper, not endorsing anything![​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clunker and 5window like this.
  17. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

man I have been trying to figure out a guy since last year, I had a nice 3100 for sale. a guy called from NEW HAMPSHIRE and we agreed to a price if I put wipers on the truck and a couple other little things. he drove all that way dragging a trailer, I showed the truck and the paperwork and he offered me $1500 less. I told him no, we agreed on a price last week. he went to his hotel and said he would give me time to think about it. I told him his hotel was right next to the turnpike, so if he was thinking of the same offer in the morning to just hop on and get on.

he woke me up at 6am asking if I changed my mind. He drove all that way, and back, with an empty trailer, over $1500 bucks. but the best news: the extra work he had me do sold the truck on ebay in 3 days for 2k over the original price he had agreed to.

clunker likes this.
  18. 5window

5window

I guess he showed you! :)

19. 5window

5window

Wow. There sure isn't any evidence it was ever "Restored". It had only been 25/26 years old when it was restored and it's almost 90 now. Great selling point! Maybe the OP made a generous offer!

clunker and Lowtek32 like this.
  20. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

You got that right. The best way to get a $10k car for a lot less is with a stack of $100 bills on the hood.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i'll have to look for that ad. the car was not restored in any way, just a solid body. I believe he took it apart to critique the engineering for his thesis (if there is such a thing in engineering).

22. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

saw the ad, most responses were "it's too much". then the ad was deleted, or I couldn't find it again.