Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need help with direction on some old vehicles.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonny Hotnuts, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts

I have more than a few projects I am working 0n. My main focus is a 38 Chev PU and a 70 C10 SWB PU.

Here is my prob:

Both trucks are very straight and mechanically sound however they are not original in that both had engine swaps (a 235 in the 38 in the 70s and a reman 250 in the c10). Both have been painted at some point (the c10 was painted with the original '205 med. green' in the and the 38 was done in a nice 'black fender and green body' both done sometime in the early 80s:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(going to put some nice wheels, lower and put a SBC [with healthy turbo] on this one)

My issue is that both trucks need work that will also require some paint at some point. The C10 needs new rocker panels, hood and a few other areas, the 38 has several areas where rust is attacking seams at the body to fender joints. One part of me says "this paint is 30 years old and has a cool look" but the simple fact of doing needed body repairs will dictate repainting and there is no real way of effectively matching an old, non OEM paint job.

So I have two choices: spot repair the affected areas OR doing a full restoration. There is part of me that thinks that all the history behind every ding and scratch is cool but also dont want the vehicles to look like they had an ugly band-aid patch shot with primer. I really dont want to try and match or 'simulate' old paint after the repair.

These old trucks are not show queens and likely never will be. They are old farm trucks and have been in my family for 3-4 generations.

Is it better to bite the bullet and just to a full paint job, including doing any body work after fixing the rust issues or should I try and keep the 'patina' and have very obvious areas of repair?

-NOTE: As a collector of vintage guitars I am a little paranoid about refinishing ANYTHING. I have a number of original pre CBS Fender guitars and know that even a pot change can radically affect the value. I just dont want to make some mistake at this stage I will regret later.

Thanks for any advice.

~JH

2. Vanilla non-OEM paint? Full repaint....

3. redo32

redo32

I see by your plates you're in Oregon too. Is that Green Peter reservoir ? Your trucks are neat, but will never have the value for authenticity like your Fender guitars. Their value is in the family history, so do want ever you feel comfortable with. If they are mechanically sound and the interior is presentable, drive the heck out of them. If you hit the lottery and a new paint job is in the cards, knock yourself out.

belair likes this.
  4. cretin

cretin

Neither of them are original, your options aren't going to severely affect the values as much as your vintage guitars.
    That being said, you mention the trucks being in the family for generations, so I assume they will be kept in the family and resale value isn't the biggest concern. In that case, you need to do whatever is best for your use and enjoyment of them.
    If you want to do repairs, but don't want primer spots, then repaint.

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Repaint the 38 to original and repaint the C10 any color you want. The C 10 will worth more than the 38 as that is where the market is headed.

6. I'm a big fan of trucks.
    No offense intended, but the value in either of these trucks will be on the quality of the build, whether original or modified (neither truck is rare).
    If you decide to address the rust issues, do the complete repaint.
    Originality be Damned..that ship has sailed.

7. 1pickup

1pickup

All good replies. The "original" paint factor is gone. Do what you'd like to them. They could be great either way. Cost would have to factored into these as well, if resale is intended at any time. If they are "family heirlooms" or the vehicle you've always wanted, cost isn't as important.

<<see avatar - my '59 Esquire is worth more than any of my cars. It will NOT get a repaint!

8. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts

THanks for the replies all. I agree....they are not original so its not like I am going to make them 'more' non original by painting.

A 59 Esquire is a serious piece and most people wont get what you are saying when you say "worth more than any of my cars" but I do!!! LOL

Here are a couple of my Pre stuff (Ive got a few more tucked away).

Early 65 Jag, 1963 Shoreline Strat, 1959 DuoSonic. All original except the tone knobs on the strat were changed sometime in the 70s and someone installed a phase switch and replaced the neck pup (with a 64 strat pup!) of the Duo.
    All Ill say is that if I die I hope the wife doest sell them for what I told her they are worth! LOL!!!!

[​IMG]

~JH

williebill and s55mercury66 like this.
  9. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts

Columbia River near exit 22 on 84 ;)

~JH

10. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

As you said, in the family for 3-4 generations, keep it going.
    And you dont want to be the one where
    lil Johny says, Yeah my Granpa never took care of the rust when it was easy, Now I got to cut it all out and weld in patches :mad:

I wonder how difficult it would be to blend in the paint over the repairs?
    I would think that you could get real close, and in 5 years time it will all be blended in again anyways, never see the old repairs .... if repaired properly.
    I am just thinking along the lines of general maintenance to keep them going.
    Thats for the 38 .... the 70 I dunno really no opinion on it.

My uncle has a 76 chevy truck, I drive it and it just seems so modern, power steering and auto trans .... sell it and get a real truck is my humble opinion.
    My cousin has a really new truck, I wont even sit in it :p

11. Paint the trucks.....build an altar for the guitars. That Jag is the bomb!

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

x2