Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is there such a thing as quiet performance mufflers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Oct 17, 2017.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Its not so much as I am getting older but would like to mash the go pedal and not everyone around me knowing that I am doing it,so is there a not so loud performance muffler.

2. marvbarrish

marvbarrish
    from SoCal

I put Hush power mufflers from flowmasters on my 38 and they work great

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  3. missysdad1

missysdad1

I'm using the medium length Smitty's from Speedway. Nice tone but not loud at all.

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would like a nice tone but nothing like those very loud mufflers that I hear on the new muscle cars,you can hear them coming for miles just like the worn out mufflers I have. I want to be seen and not so much heard.

mario711 and Fordor Ron like this.

5. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I'll second the Smithy's mufflers very nice tone and not too loud. Best sounding muffler ever on a flathead V8 in MHO

6. How quiet do you want it? I recall a muffler test in one of the car mags years ago, and seems to me they found that a late 60s Caddy muffler had low backpressure as good as most of the 'performance' mufflers and a OEM quiet sound.... And sorry, I don't remember which/when mag....

7. I like these "Raptors" on the sedan.
    I also run a Summit X-pipe kit with them. That makes it quieter than normal.
    I can actually hear the tires squeal when I punch it.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/big-50052flt

loudbang likes this.
  8. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in “the day” pre flowmaster and hush thrush, a lot of guys used OEM Corvair turbocharger mufflers for a quieter alternative to glasspacs.

Nostrebor, Deuces, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  9. indyjps

indyjps

Nostrebor, Chavezk21, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  10. earlymopar

earlymopar

The design of the exhaust system and location of the mufflers is just as much or more important than the type of muffler. - EM

11. If you can find them ( I am sure that you can if you look around a bit) Cadillac reverse flow mufflers were the quiet mufflers that we used to use.

VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  12. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Smithys' are what I run on my A-Bone, not loud at all, especially inside the car.

jrlphx likes this.
  13. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

You might be able to find some "hemi" mufflers. They were called that because they were used in Hemi powered cars in the 60s. Basically a long case, low restriction muffler...I have a pair of 70s made NOS ones...I think mine are called California Hemi Muffers...

14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This might help:cool: https://www.tesla.com/

brjnelson, ekimneirbo, RICH B and 2 others like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the raw power of barely muffled Hotrod but my ears are now ringing constantly 24-7 after only a year or two of Hotrod and I am trying to find the happy medium as I want to preserve what I still have left. I have got my inner cabin to 90 to 100 db running but that is still to high. 85db I believe is the point of needing ear protection. I am running Magna Flows with at this point unwrapped CC silencer inserts behind mufflers. So once I wrap that may be the cats meow. By the way the sound as is still fits the bill. The ole Hotrod has need for some major soundproofing so the exhaust noise is not the only problem.

As eluded truly finding what works for you is akin to finding a needle in a haystack but there are oodles of threads on this subject and my combination of big dollars could be achieved no doubt with say a Corvair turbo muffler...but I've spent the money already...and

I want the performance and sound without going deaf and humor aside, some here are there already.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

My favorite exhaust sound is that on my 53 F100. 302 HO motor with Flowtech turbo mufflers. Quiet, mellow tone. On my 40 I have tried Hushpowers (yuk), Magnaflows (too loud), and now have 2004 Mustang GT factory mufflers that are the best so far.

Deuces likes this.
  17. Dirk35

Dirk35

I put Flowmaster's Hushpower mufflers on my 48 Ford PU (yes it has a 51 front clip) and would recommend them. They don't have the loud raspy throaty sound that is usually associated with Flowmasters and they don't take up much more space than a glass pack muffler would.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. Possibly,but whats the fun in having a quiet hot rod ? HRP

20. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HRP: I agree, on the '32 buckboard; I've had the same pair of hacked off mid year Corvette side pipe chambers under her since 1975...they can make your ears ring!

21. One thing you might consider is a long case straight through muffler. As an example, most Magnaflow, Borla and Walker Ultra-Flow straight through mufflers have a 14" case. If you dig around on their sites you will find the same design muffler in a longer case, similar to a "stock muffler for a late 60's Car like a GTO, Chevelle SS or 442 that ran 2 mufflers on dual exhaust."

I have a Magnaflow with an 18" case on my 56. Admittedly a stock 235 is not going to make a lot of noise through this muffler and will be louder on higher compression higher performance V8 but the longer case does reduce noise without reducing flow. So, if you're looking for something quiet but not at the expense of power then a long case straight through design might work for you.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Magnaflow/Magnaflow-Satin-Stainless-Steel-Mufflers/751042/10002/-1

They even have one with a 24" case length.

22. This can make a big difference.
    An X pipe can help quiet things,
    running exhaust tips all the way past the rear bumper.
    Putting the mufflers as far back as possible will really quiet it down.

I have an OT car and the mufflers are behind the rear tire with the chrome tips welded directly to the output of the muffler and they are super quiet.

Attached Files:

23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I want a good mellow tone but the mufflers I have on it sound like glass packs and makes the car sound like its going 100 when its only about 50 winding up in second entering a highway,you could probably hear it coming a mile away when I put my foot into it. Going to look into the Caddy and the Cutlas mufflers,just needs to be toned down some.

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Montana1 likes this.
  25. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Been running a dynomax turbo flow for years. Quiet at cruise, talks a bit at idle, and I can hear it working under load, can also hear when you are in the sweet spot, but no deceleration crackles no roar, no drumming, no headaches.

Elcohaulic, bobss396 and LBCD like this.
  26. What are you putting them on?

The length of the pipes, number of bends, placement of the mufflers and exit of the tailpipes make a difference too.

This configuration sounds quite mellow, not too quiet and not too loud and still makes good power on the '32.

IMG_1887.JPG

Deuces likes this.
  27. jim snow

jim snow

What Bowie said. Got them on my 41and they sound great.Snowman

bowie likes this.
  28. southcross2631

southcross2631

Go with a longer glass pack. I put some 21 inch walker glass packs and some turn down extensions on a 57 Ford with a 312 and it was really mellow unless you were at max throttle.

29. dave plmley

dave plmley

I have baby turbo's on my 472 Cady and they a loud. Maybe I need a little longer ones.

Deuces likes this.
  30. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Its my slightly too new 65 custom 500 4 door with a factory style dual exhaust with a little 302,I might have to see what I have on my sunliner since it has a nice little tone and not too loud.