Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bias ply

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by markmnotdead, Oct 18, 2017.

1. markmnotdead

markmnotdead

2. Timmyd

Timmyd
    from Ohio

I'm ordering Firestone bias for mine. Today's bias tires are different then the tires of the past. One of my friends have been running bias tires for 25 yrs on all of his customs.

Sent from my XT1096 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

DOCWHIT and markmnotdead like this.
  3. ^^^ Just for the record, a lot of people on here would dispute that.

Tons of info on the site about them being out of round big time.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    41 C28, Hnstray, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  4. ahshoe

ahshoe

I am running Coker 6.70 x 15 bias tires on my custom

markmnotdead likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of these guys have never owned a car with radial tires Mark.
    Those of us who are older grew up with bias tires but I'd say the same things that applied then apply now with the exception that you can't get 4 new bias whitewall tires for 100 bucks anymore like the many a set of Firestones I sold in the early 70's. Now they cost more than high end radials.
    Still I'd say the same things hold that held then. Not high mileage tires. 25-30 K is getting a LOT of miles out of a set of bias tires. Not quite the handling of radials if you grew up with radials and if your daily is a performance model with tuned suspension and higher grade of tires you will notice it more. The offerings as far as bias go seem to have issues with being out of round all too often.

Other than that you can't beat the look of a bias whitewall on an early custom. Even though I'll probably run radials the radials have the "settled for" look than the "went first class look". Kind of like buying a flannel shirt at Walmart and hoping that no one notices it isn't a Pendleton.

6. I loved them on both of my cars. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

image.jpeg I run the Coker 6.70 also , they can be a little squirly in the cold or at night or in the rain or any time for that matter , lol but they look the best and that's all that matters

markmnotdead, Stogy, Old-Soul and 2 others like this.
  8. badvolvo

badvolvo

Took radials off my 59 vette and installed bias ply's. It still handles like it was built in 59, radial or bias. However, takes a few miles to get them round if it sets more than a couple of weeks. Once they warm up, I really cannot tell any difference, and the rears are Radir slicks.

markmnotdead and Stogy like this.
  9. wvenfield

wvenfield

Bias ply's are different than years ago because of the new fangled air that get puts in them. It's heavier now, gives a better ride. Just make sure you get the good air. Some shops will try and pass off old air.

10. Pictures please!

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Again, do a search here on this topic - people are "biased" one style over the other

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. badvolvo

badvolvo

Not too many notice, but I have had a few people mention how awesome the bias tires look on her. Tire size does not show up well in the pix. 2017HAMBVETTE.jpg

117harv, Stogy, cactus1 and 2 others like this.
  13. BFG Silvertown's on my non-custom 56 210 in my avatar. I drive it all over Houston. The do follow the grooves in the road and are sketchy in the rain.

markmnotdead and Knghtcadi like this.
  14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I don't have them and probably never will, but you can't beat the way they look on an older car.

markmnotdead likes this.
  15. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I agree about the looks, if I had a trailer queen would want them.

I have not run bias in years, I hate the way they follow every groove in the road.
    And flat spots, I remember them, having to drive a couple miles to get the tires warmed up and round again.

Unless they have a new design, I do not see how they can get rid of those issues, but again I have not run them in 30+ years.
    I feel that if you are willing to upgrade your brakes, add seat belts, you will also add radials for a safety if not looks.

markmnotdead, Ravenwood and Hnstray like this.
  16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Bias ply for me on all of my cars. They were engineered and designed for bias ply and they all drive beautifully.[​IMG]
    6.70-15’s on my vette

[​IMG]
    7.50-14’s on my impala

[​IMG]
    6.70-15’s on my 55 hardtop

[​IMG]
    7.50-14’s on my 55 sedan

All drive nice I have never had to shave a tire

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. leon bee

leon bee

I'm another biased guy. Cokers on my Buick, trailer tires on my project. Here's what I notice most: between my house and shop is a really twisty road. Motorcycle road. I never go around those curves without noticing how much the bias ply fronts scrub as you turn.

18. A radial will go bad just setting. a bias will last until the rubber is worn away. A radial if used daily will last more miles if it doesn't come apart. Ive had some KUMHO rdials that gave good service.

markmnotdead likes this.
  19. I run a repair shop specializing in Hot Rods, Customs, Muscle Cars and Antiques. I drive a lot of different cars in the course of a year. Almost every car I drive with bias ply tires handles like ... well, not very well at all. It doesn't matter if they're Coker or something else, they drive bad, all the symptoms mentioned above apply.

I understand wanting "the look", but if I'm putting any miles on at all it's going to be on a good set of radials.

20. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran radials on my Vette for decades, she hugged the curves and handled great; but it just didn't feel like all the ones I remember riding in when I was a kid. A few years ago I put on the current BFG's ...man! I was back in the 60's. A lot more fun, with the bob n roll; not to mention that familiar squeal!

51box, Stogy, Surfcityrocker and 5 others like this.
  21. I keep seeing people say bias tires follow grooves in the road, any car i have driven regardless of year or tire follows groves in the road

markmnotdead and Timmyd like this.
  22. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ED8CC403-35B6-4000-A6AE-17121E1B243C.jpeg had them on this car for a few years now...no complaints at all...will use them again

markmnotdead, Stogy and Tim like this.
  23. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Bias ply for appearance and cushy ride on my Lincoln avatar.
    I've trued as many radials as bias ply.
    Dealing with out of round radials right now on my daily driver Uplander.
    There is no gaurantee a new tire of any type will be round.

24. Anyone run those new Firestone 500's radial's when they came out ?

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1) Pro-Looks...Looks matter and Nothing looks like the real deal...there are bias look but they are not there yet in mimicking the look and may never...

2) Pro-Ride problems are overrated. The only thing that I notice abnormal but manageable problems with are Line paint and Asphalt crack filler. If you are changing lanes or driving over this you can feel manageable handling changes.

3) Con-Traction is lesser on dry and wet pavement but if you drive non maniacal this should not be a worry and overall grip is more than adequate...Grooved pre pave pavement doesn't affect handling noticeably either.

4) Pro-Despite horror stories most places back their product as in out of round execute warranty.

Ride is perhaps a little harder but the Hotrod is Light and shocks/springs/tire pressure all factor in but again not really a reason to warrant a change to me.

On the Ole Hotrod it will always be Bias Ply...and yes read some of the other threads and yes there is lots of good info...

0_20160829_193206.jpg

DaPeach, Jeff Norwell and chevy57dude like this.
  26. ROUXGAROUX

ROUXGAROUX

The bias tire manufacturing process is still Paleolithic, QC is critical. As with radials, there are high end bias tires and crap. No comparison between a Michelin or Avon and Bubba Brand.

markmnotdead likes this.
  27. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Driven every day, rain or shine. Coker G-78. Usually get around 30k miles out of a set. No issues at all.

Attached Files:

28. Horrible tires! I recall the treads chunking off them, belts sticking out like cat whiskers.

29. squirrel

squirrel

You might want to run a bit lower pressure in bias than you're used to with radials.

They were all we had in the old days, and they worked then. And bias ply tires still work.

markmnotdead and Stogy like this.
  30. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Bias ply tires.

Pro: They look great, car doesn't look dorky.
    Con: Everyone feels the need to tell you radials are better.