Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Anybody ever heard of a custom '57 Chevy from the early '60s called Aztec?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lebowski, Oct 16, 2017.

1. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

What I don't get, is why ask these hotrodders about Kustoms? They don't know them, or like them.

2. southcross2631

southcross2631

I always admired the old time customizers. Working the metal creating their own expression and never asking if it looked good. It was fashionable to own a custom back in the 50's and early 60's.
    I owned a chopped and sectioned 50 Ford business coupe that looked like a watermelon going down the road with it's green paisley paint job. It was fun for a while, chicks dug it . Sold it and bought a 55 Belair and never had another custom.
    It was a fad and not all fads were good ideas, but we shouldn't cut down the man's ability to do the work. He was just trying to make a name for himself in the customizing world like the Alexander brothers and many more. It fit the times and it is part of the history of rods and customs.

3. Rogga

Rogga

My opinion is that version in the old magazine , is very cool. For that era.
    If that custom had a famous "builder" name involved in exactly same outfit.......People have killed for owning it.......... // Roger.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  4. Great point! I'm pretty sure the Kustom camp is strong here. What do they think of it? I sure don't know Kustoms. But there are many beautiful ones with outstanding workmanship that the uninitiated like me can really admire. The one pictured looks to me like someone didn't know where to stop. Not hatin' on it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

To be honest....I wasnt going to look at this thread any more....for some reason customs brings out weird things in people. They feel the need to critique them....appraise their attractiveness....proclaim they wouldnt do that to a car. Yawn. All done with todays sensibilities. For the record not all customs are an improvement over an original design...but that is not the point. The point is that a car that was heavily modified in the good old days...still exists...was a show car...and in nearly the same damn form as it was in the little pages. Doesnt that mean anything to these people? ITS HISTORY MAN!! I, again...continue to dig it. If I won the lotto id be all over that car.

6. Movinman

Movinman

You and me both, Black Panther.

williebill and stanlow69 like this.
  7. Dick Lobach

Dick Lobach
    from Emmaus Pa

When the Aztec was built in 55, they were a dime a dozen, When I first saw it in 55, I thought it was the coolist custom I had ever seen. It has been an icon in the custom world ever since. I guess you have to be in your 70s or 80s to appreciate real custom cars not just hot rods, they went hand in hand. I'm 82 and still love a good custom.

8. I thought these kustoms were very kool when I was a kid.THEY WEREKOOL!
    It was part of the scene then, not cutting up a classic! They started to fizzle after 1960, the ride of drag racing pretty much killed it.Kustom Rods were big too, weird grilles, fins, what have you.NOT as Kool in my mind.
    Looking back, many were ugly, but that's what most millennials think of ALL old cars now. They laugh at Hudsons, Nash's etc.
    So take it in context and DO what you like, drive what you like!

williebill and Lebowski like this.
  9. No you don't but the same handlful of guys on here seem to make their regular appearance on threads about customs, shit on them and add nothing else.

10. Damn resto-rodders.... they just don't get it.... :rolleyes:

williebill, Moriarity and stanlow69 like this.
  11. brad2v

brad2v

VERY well said. Would I build the same car today if I had a '56 lying around? God no. But that's not nearly the point. I can add no more than what has been said above.

12. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

Just wanted to chime in that I'm of a young(ish) generation, I appreciate this chevy and enjoy it because of its unique personality and the creative choices the builder made. I'm always glad when I'm alerted to the presence of a new (to me) piece of history. The guy who built that thing had the balls and the skills to do it his way.
    Who wants a world where everything is the same, there's a Starbucks on every corner, and every creation of the past is pitted against its neighbors until a single shining example is left, to be worshiped until we all get bored and move on to something else? Not me.
    Long live weird, man.
    [​IMG]

Stogy, brad2v, lurker mick and 4 others like this.
  13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

vega1 and X38 like this.
  14. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

If it were a reasonable price, considering the (what I assume to be) huge amount of work it need to bring it back to its glory I'd be happy to have it in my garage. And im really not one who likes to see cut up tri 5s. yeah its kinda awkward, but its pretty cool too. Refurbish it back to show day status and drive its wheels off

rodncustomdreams and stanlow69 like this.
  15. Hell I'd roll with it! It's a Kustom...built when there weren't several models of cars available ... would I build it today nope...but would love to have it in my garage

16. Gingie

Gingie

The custom from ky isn't for sale anymore. However the doghouse is for sale on Craigslist now. I haven't talked to the seller, just saw that it was posted in parts section a few days ago.

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

18. Squablow

Squablow

That's a shame, another surviving custom lost. The clip would be neat to have, even just to display.

Sent from my LG-M153 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I liked it.

It is sad to see it go, but not quite as sad as folks who cannot keep their mouths shut when they see something that they don't find attractive. You can blame bad parenting until age 18. After that, it is just plain deficient character.

20. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I like kustoms but this wasn't one of them, but I still admire the car. The time and energy put into it. The workmanship and above all it appears the builder did it his way, I doubt he went looking to others on what he should and shouldn't do.

Originality wether you like it or not, that's what made this car a hit.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  21. rudestude

rudestude

Ok ...you can do that.....flash back to 1963..... IMG_20180921_215824~2.jpeg IMG_20180921_215853~2.jpeg IMG_20180921_215927~2.jpeg IMG_20180921_215939~2.jpeg IMG_20180921_220007_1~2.jpeg IMG_20180921_220021~2.jpeg IMG_20180921_220046_1~2.jpeg IMG_20180921_220058_1~2.jpeg IMG_20180921_220125~2.jpeg IMG_20180921_220137~2.jpeg IMG_20180921_220155~2.jpeg IMG_20180921_220205~2.jpeg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. rudestude

rudestude

Some examples of what it cost to make these cars what they where ,and in some cases what they are , back in the day.....but...times change ....fads change...people change....but critics will never change....and for that ... We move on..... IMG_20180921_222456~2.jpeg IMG_20180921_222522_1~2.jpeg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

williebill, Stogy and egads like this.
  23. J53

J53
    from WI

Yes, agreed. And I’d like to add Corvettes to that list as well.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

A lot of trad. custom guys are super sensitive. I’ve never had a problem calling an ugly custom for what it is - no matter who built it.

And then there’s guys saying you can’t touch a tri-five or a corvette? Fuck that. Cut em up.

As for the Aztec, didn’t that car used to be in Austin? I’m pretty sure I saw that one get crashed by a drunk owner one night.

mr57, chevy57dude, hrm2k and 2 others like this.
  25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I think you might be thinking of Earls pearl a 55 Chev that was in Austin a few years back

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[​IMG]

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yep. That’s the one. At one point I saw the drunk owner jumping up and down on the hood. Eventually the hinges failed... he then started dragging the hood down the street. It was not awesome, but sort of awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. jon dedman

jon dedman

This 57 was purchased new by Jim "Tank" Shamback. It started life as a white power pack car. Jim was like My second Dad. I grew up with his 4 kids and am still friends with them after all these years. I talked to the current owner today and the car is in the process of being resto moded with stock body panels and trim with big meats under the rear and a big blown motor up front. What is cool is that it is still hear in Louisville.

40two likes this.
  28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Did he ever get the front clip sold?

29. I don't think I've ever seen a tri 5 chevy that was improved by custom body mods, the car in question included. Sometimes the factory just gets them right.

30. Squablow

Squablow

Getting made into a "resto-mod" with big meats. I can't think of a worse fate for that poor car. I sure hope someone was able to buy that front clip and maybe some of the rear panels and other custom bits.