Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Picked up an interesting Flathead.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Pete

Pete

Iv been thinking about taking a ride into Boston to snap a pic of the building.

I'm going to clean up the stand and add some casters so I can roll the engine around.

2. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Very cool find! You should post this on the Ford Barn as there are many flathead aficionados that would love to see it. If I knew how to post a link, I would.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. ratrodjay

ratrodjay
    from Corona, CA

You definitely scored...big! I know a few guys looking for the crank Stewart warner tack drive alone! (Me included...lol) Major score! Congratulations!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. panicmike

panicmike

Great find - I look all the time - missed that one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

That's awesome........
    Nice find.......

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. IMG_0297.JPG Very nice find! Congrats to you! I have over 55 years Flatmotor experience(includes ground floor French flatheads Texas 1999-2005) but have never seen a more unique power plant. Flatheads Forever!

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Museum of Pete will look after it...;)

Clay Belt likes this.
  8. Pete

Pete

It's sitting on the stand right now but I'm going to clean her up and pop a few speed parts on it.

Stogy likes this.
  9. The water pumps and generator are for big truck and bus. The generator seems to be '38 or earlier since it has a cutout rather than a voltage regulator.

10. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Nice score. Guess I chose the wrong weekend to be out of town, for a number of reasons it turns out.

11. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way Cool find . Thank you for sharing .

12. Duellym

Duellym

So you're the one that got that.

I guess I was a little too late.

13. greaser

greaser

Sweet! I Wonder if it would sound slightly different than a gas powered flathead. (Probably not.)

14. Truckintom

Truckintom

I have worked on many industrial power plants and engines,The ones that run on propane can have many hours on them,the oil and the internal parts of the engine look and for the most part are like new,the reason for this is that propane burns 100 percent cleaner than gasoline,there is no carbon residue left over after combustion,carbon is the reason gas engine oil turns black and wears out engine parts. Propane engine oil will remain clean and see thru for a very long time.I have removed spark plugs from engines on propane that I know have a thousand hours on them,the white porcelain around the electrode will be a light to medium brown color.A usual cause for over heating a propane engine is to lean a fuel mix or a vacume leak , Great find and a nice time capsule from the past

Clay Belt likes this.
  15. Pete

Pete

Appreciate the insight. I’ll prolly pull a cap to see what it looks like.

16. Outstanding photography! Most would make great 30x40 framed hanging art. Course the subject matter and back story are great. But I'd like a picture wall of your stuff. Camera and lens data would be nice.

17. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

Why don't you donate it to ford there are a million hot rod flat heads out there , but prolly one back up pump.....just a thought

18. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

What keeps the tach drive from rotating with the crankshaft?

19. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Why not a propane rod? Complete with BBQ in the bed for tours? :D In all seriousness, sweet find

20. I had similar luck a few years ago. A '39 keystone Merc (see avatar) that was only ever used by the local fire department to run a pump used for fire hose practice. Scored the original control panel they had it bolted to as well and incorporated it (along with some new gauges, etc.) into a rolling test stand. Like you Pete, I have the 'virgin' 11" flywheel too. Not even any surface rust on mine!

Glen M Frelighsburg-20160302-00395.jpg

34 GAZ likes this.
  21. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

That's awesome. Love it.

22. sweeper 1.jpg sweeper 2.jpg
    Here,s two of mine. Came from a U.S. airforce base in Soesterberg, Netherlands.
    They were reverse mounted in the back of two old WW II Jeeps and hooked up via that big round gear thing to a big sweeper out front. The big lever at the rear of the V8 was used by the driver to operate the clutch. Both engines have about 50 hours use according to the instruments on the panel. They were used to sweep snow, not dust.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  23. Mo rust

Mo rust

We bought a stationary engine that spent it's life running a pump or something in Oklahoma and inside it was clean as a new one. We dressed it up and played with it and built a roadster to put it in.
    stationary engine.JPG

34 GAZ likes this.
  24. Donate it? If Ford wants it, they can afford to buy it.

25. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Very cool. I sold a ford flathead v8 K. R. Wilson power plant a year ago for a friends Aunt that was very similar...... Heavy cast iron grill with a v8 emblem and cast guage pannel with a sheetmental hood over it.

Bummer is that i dont think the guy ever picked it up, he paid for it but never showed up so it is kinda in limbo right now.

I have one of those stewart warner tach drives sitting on the shelf as well... I always wondered what it would have been used for.

26. x2 :confused:

27. Here,s my dirty outside, clean inside, reconditioned in 1962 and then hardly run '39 Mercury 99A keystone Flathead. Anyone else have a hardly run Flathead with a story ??
    A.jpg D.JPG E.JPG

28. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

The blacksmith in the small farm town I grew up in had a WW2 Quonset building with a flathead engine mounted high on one end that did EVERYTHING. Turned shaft that run length of building and with flat belt pulleys for lathe, mill, drill press,etc. It also powered a water pump, a generator, and had an airplane propeller to circulate air in the summer. This was in the late 40's so no pocket cameras but I would love to see a picture of Whitcamp's Welding in Cherokee, Iowa at that time period.

charleyw and greaser like this.
  29. Finally got around to removing the ungainly and useless auxillary units on my 8BA & 8RT. Makes the units about 65 kilogram each lighter. ( heavy shit ) :eek:Here,s what was inside. Large pressure plate and flywheel clean as a whistle. Any newly discovered industrial flatheads out there ?
    101_1233.JPG 101_1234.JPG 101_1235.JPG

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Speedy Canuck and Aaron D. like this.