Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vinyl or paint large Maltese Cross

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spillaneswillys, Oct 13, 2017.

1. manyolcars

manyolcars

I remember those in the 60s and 70s and I liked them. Times have changed and now it seems like ratrod crap.

zzford and gimpyshotrods like this.
  2. Pretty sure it's traditional. I painted iron crosses on the back windows of my 50 Olds back in the early 60s. But then I had an 8" lighted Coors tap knob I got from the restaurant where I worked on my rear package shelf. Thought I was pretty cool then. Looking back I think I was actually pretty stupid. :confused:

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Do vinyl and then when you come to your senses you can peel it off easier! LOL!

wbrw32 likes this.
  4. donnie

donnie
    from NC

Is the 60s now traditional here?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. wisdonm

wisdonm

Does a half a century old count as traditional? How old does it have to be?

6. dan31

dan31

Syphilis is traditional also, but i don't want it.

7. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Maltese Cross:
    [​IMG]

Eisernes Kreuz (Iron Cross):
    [​IMG]

I have a feeling that you intend to paint an Iron Cross on your car rather than a Maltese Cross.

I'm not gonna weigh into the shit storm over whether or not you should paint either of these designs on your car. But, I will weigh in on the Iron Cross as a symbol of Nazism.

It isn't.

The Iron Cross has been a symbol of honor among the German and Germanic peoples since long before anyone called it Germany. Knights of the Holy Roman Empire used it as a symbol of Christianity as far back as before the Crusades, and the Iron Cross has been awarded by the German Military as an award for heroism since the Napoleonic Wars, and is still awarded today.

Yes, the Nazis used them, but the USSR used stars, and we still think stars are pretty cool...

8. metalhotrodgirl

metalhotrodgirl

Please go with paint , you can use 1 shot paints if you prep the vinyl insert good , clean it and prep it with a vinyl prep , 1shot, or even urathanes will hold up to the weather . Paint is more traditional and ages nicely compared to vinyl

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

patmanta likes this.
  9. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Do it. It will be cool. It's controversial because not all HAMBERs are cool.

Sent from my LGLS992 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lucky ink and Stock Racer like this.
  10. Jimmy page
    Black Crows
    Bob Marley
    Social Distortion
    Grand Funk Railroad
    Yardbirds
    AC/DC
    The Ramones

You're speaking my language, loud and clear.

The wooden top sounds like a great idea. I'm no fan of iron crosses, but I also understand that the meaning of a symbol changes with intent.

Rock on

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. I like to honor the bands that I like and are legendary. I really do not claim to be kool just rebellious. I guess what I want to put on the car is called an Iron Cross. The funny thing is it seemed so cool in the 60's but now the only thing cool is a cloned stupid 32 Ford. Yuk!

Stock Racer, iwanaflattie and clunker like this.
  12. I guess everything is traditional until you don't like it!

Stock Racer and clunker like this.
  13. I think you should definitely build what you like. If you think it's cool then that's all the permission you need. In the 60's I was 3 years old, so I don't remember it at all, I'm definitely no authority on anything "traditional". I wasn't even alive for it. I just like old cars, old motorcycles and hot rods. I like rat rods and street rods too, but I just prefer traditional stuff.

When I see the iron cross on hot rods and choppers it sort of reminds me a lot of images I've seen of outlaw biker gangs and Hells Angels from the 60's and 70's wearing Nazi helmets, different paraphernalia, iron cross mirrors, just seemed kind of anti social and violent like skinheads wearing swastikas or something, or like an implied threat. I grew up in a city with a lot of bikers selling drugs and hurting people. I saw some drag a guy out of a bar, into the street and smash his head into the pavement over and over. I visited relatives of mine in jail for murder. So when I see that symbol it conjures all of that up (for me).

If your telling me that chill surfer dudes use the iron cross and it means something totally different to you, then I totally get it. That's what I mean by the intent behind a symbol affecting the meaning of a symbol.

I'm a subversive punk rocker from the 80's, so I also get a kick from swimming upstream. I'm looking for a good "Cramps" and anarchy "A" stickers for my rear window. Just haven't found the right size yet. I let my freak flag fly.

clunker likes this.
  15. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I'm getting the impression that the 60's are not welcome here. I'll be rethinking the 60's style Drag Coupe build thread I was about to start.

16. dan31

dan31

There is really nothing wrong with the Iron Cross being used on a 60's style build ,it's just that right now it conjures up images of rat rods because they over used the living crap out of it.

zzford and InstantT like this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

>53.

19. fordflambe

fordflambe

Let's see............If I were going old school, I would use Vinyl?...........Don't think so!

I'm so confused........................

20. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Lots of guys on here with air bags and disc brakes............

Stock Racer and InstantT like this.
  21. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

22. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

In the '90s I developed an interest in the European custom bike scene of that time. It was highly politicized and rather left-leaning. Protests against EU motorbike regulation got allied to things like Travellers issues. A lot of good stuff was happening. Did you ever encounter a British magazine called AWoL, around then?

The circle-A comes from something out of Pierre-Joseph Proudhon, IIRC. The circle is O for order, the idea being that social disorder comes from governments trying to prevent people from working things out as they see fit among themselves.

Mirror flags became a thing here with the 2010 soccer World Cup. Someone got the idea of selling flag socks which go over your car's door mirrors, to show which country you support. But I'm not into sports and my DD already had plain black plastic mirrors ...

23. I definitely am aligned with Proudhon's philosophy, especially towards the end of his life when he saw the value of small scale property ownership as a way to balance power with the gov't.

For me, the graffiti "circled A" symbol is more an expression of rebellion against general authority, and we painted it on everything in the 80's to show our disdain for "The Man", and all of the sheep around us chewing their cud like polite society told them to do. Every generation has it's equivalents. Now I'm "The Man" and my kids explain to me why I'm such an asshole for hassling them about everything.

I never saw AWol, but I am into the cafe racer scene so I'll look it up.

My wife's mom was in the US foreign service, and she spent several years in South Africa in the 80's, She has some pretty intense stories. Like disturbing stories. (We're both 50, so just a few years younger than you are)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Ned Ludd likes this.
  24. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

You took the idea right out of my mind. Maybe he's the Red Baron? FWIW, my most desired but never owned Hot Wheels car.

[​IMG]

InstantT likes this.
  25. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I hope you do your thread. That is exactly my favorite style.

26. wvenfield

wvenfield

It's pretty traditional but when I see one, I think Eric Von Zipper.

InstantT and wojojo like this.
  27. indyjps

indyjps

The rat rodders kinda ruined the iron cross, maltese cross. Its pretty played out.
    Paint a hand with a middle finger extended, that gets the point across. :)

28. Maybe Nads can make you a gas pedal to go with it.

alchemy and Sancho like this.
  29. Gman0046

Gman0046

That Maltese Cross would probably look a lot better surrounded by cobwebs and skulls.

30. chiro

chiro

People USED to say on here, "It's your car. Build it the way YOU like it". Go for it and let the naysayers say what they will say. You said you like being rebellious...

Andy