Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 53-55 fiesta wheel covers

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Moriarity, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I try to buy these when I see them and have managed to get a couple of sets together buying one or two at a time. I know that when they first started reproducing these they used the proper emblem in the center. How do you tell the repops from the real ones? I see there are 2 ways the spinners are mounted. One with screws and the other is spot welded. Anyone know for sure?[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sancho likes this.
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Lyon made one style for GM if not both. Almost without exception, all aftermarket covers are going to be showing rust inside, but the genuine Olds will not as it is high quality stainless. The Olds, especially the retaining claws, are a lot higher quality workmanship & material than any of the others.
    Last week a HAMBer posted pics of a set of Sears Allstate brand Fiestas that are the nicest non - GM I've ever seen.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    rodncustomdreams and Moriarity like this.
  3. I think the screwed on fins are genuine...but I have a set of aftermarket 16" fiestas with screw on fins so whos knows. One of the best hotrod caps ever :)

IMG_8538.jpg IMG_8540.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Fake ones look and feel.cheap, while real ones are quality made and have a special coating on the back for rust prevention.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

302GMC likes this.

5. e z i

e z i

I have a buddy here with a n.o.s. set in the GM box they came in. They have clip on flippers.
    I have seen them both ways..

rodncustomdreams and Moriarity like this.
  6. de-fenders

de-fenders

Not trying to hi-jack this thread, but does anyone know what shade of white paint is used to restore a set of these hubcaps?

7. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

not sure of the other details, I seemed to notice the difference between originals and re pops that the repro's seem to have a minor orange peel looking in the stainless, wont be able to see in pictures tho so minor

8. The major difference I have noticed on the originals versus the repo caps is the center emblem on the originals is a separate piece whereas the repo's have the emblem stamped as part of the cap.Also the angle where the flippers bolt on is different.