Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My belly tank racer build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onekoolkat1950, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now children, children!!!

slv63 and onekoolkat1950 like this.
  2. topher5150

topher5150

loudbang and onekoolkat1950 like this.
  3. fordflambe

fordflambe

Here is my 'Belly Tanks' (no er)

DSC_0205.JPG

Actually, i have always wanted to see the inner workings of one of these. I will be watching ..............

loudbang, Pufff and onekoolkat1950 like this.
  4. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Hahahaha. Well played!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mctim64 and slv63 like this.
  5. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

Any other comments or just trolling/fixing grammar?

Nice work as always ray.

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No such thing as slang...c'mon

Tankers2.JPG

Belly Tanker.JPG

er...

o_O

on with the Hotrods...

Definitely uncalled for...

Definitely uncalled for...

o_O

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  7. Pete

Pete

Lookin good Mr Ray. Can't wait to hear the tanks name.

onekoolkat1950 likes this.
  8. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

ok I went too far and I am sorry, I was a little grumpy as I had just returned from the doctors with my first ever arm in a cast. and I am even big enough to tell it happened when I tripped in my shop, and the trip factor was our land speed roadster. I was working on it for this coming weekends race. I caught my foot on the front radius bar, as I went down my arm caught the headlight as I try to catch my self. a face plat later 'I, ok' and I wasn't I fractured my elbow and tore the bicep from the elbow.
    so now I am typing one handed, our race season is shot, I am looking at 8 weeks of being one armed, and do you know how hard it is too take a leak one handed.
    and I was just trying to clarify what some people have miss identify (including in print)for years as the name used for drop tanks, and yes I do have a many year background with them, and I own one that is planned for 200mph in two years.
    just like this forum is for 'traditional rods', not street rods
    and again if I pissed someone off I am sorry, and there are no caps here cause it is hard to hit the shift key and type one-handed

9. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

Who gives a flyin shit what they are called, Ray is going to make this thing bad ass just like all the others! I'm working on mine too!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Sorry to hear that. I would love your input as I get further into the build. Good luck healing up.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  11. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

You better start a build thread so I can steal your ideas !!!!!

12. fordflambe

fordflambe

must be a full moon?..............no pun intended.

13. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

this thing is gonna rule. i love the rearend mounting brackets.

i hope to find one big enough for my viking ass to fit in someday, and give it a go.

14. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

loudbang likes this.
  15. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

Haha! I think it will be the other way around! I've already stolen so much!!!

Are you going to make a cage inside the tank for structure or will it be just bolted/riveted together?

loudbang likes this.
  16. Looks like a great start!

17. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Tank.jpg

my start is a unfinished OT project, Wayne-O repo tank, v-8 60 front axle, to the edge box frame, no rear end, no roll cage, and I have to build to SCTA 200mph specs, full frame fire bottles (2) parachutes (2), sfi 20 firesuit,

18. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

I've known since puberty how hard it is to pee one handed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

loudbang and graveyardsledder like this.
  19. socalstu

socalstu
    from San Diego

Cool project!! I hope we have TROG West again so I can see it in person.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Keep the updates coming.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

typo, Man I feel your pain, I hope you get around this pretty quick and don't suffer. I have to relate a story.

A couple of years ago I was getting ready for the world championship's in Long Range Shooting Competition. That year it was being held in England. In these competitions you need to start preparing at least 6 months ahead of time. I didn't qualify until 7 weeks before the competition was to be held, so I was really strapped for time. My match rifle is chambered in a "Wildcat" cartridge that you must form all of the brass for. It takes 7 steps for each piece of brass, and then all of the brass must be fire formed to the chamber. The Championship is 700 rounds for record, and because of English law you cannot bring any reloading supplies into the country so you must bring enough loaded ammo and practice ammo for the match. That is a minimum of 1,000 rounds of ammo, and I was loading 1,500. It can easily take an hour on each piece of brass just to get it ready to load. To say I was strapped for time would be a gross understatement.

I am heading into the shop with a load of cartridges about 500 in a big colander that I had just unloaded from the tumbler. I was using a new tumbling media that was ceramic and looked like little rat turds. So I have this colander full of brass and about 10 lbs of this rat turd tumbling media. I had been installing a two four manifold on my Model A coupe that had a nailhead Buick engine, once I found out I had qualified I stopped working on the Model A and was concentrating on the loading. The new manifold is laying on the floor and as I step into the shop I tripped right over that damn thing. I went flying ass over tea kettle, brass and rat turds go flying in every direction. I never did find all of the brass or the ceramic media. I'm sprawled all over the floor in a big heap. Didn't break anything but I was one huge bruise from my hip to my shoulder. Two Marine shooting buddys flew in from the coast and I did in fact make it to that championship with there help.

When I got back and finally went back to work on the model A those damn little rat turds were everywhere, I had evidently thrown that colander when I fell and some of those rat turds were in the motor, which was open because the intake was off. I even found a dozen of the things in the oil pan.

So typo41 I do feel your pain!

Jet96, typo41 and loudbang like this.
  22. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Grave yard , I'm not sure how crazy I'll get with the cage work. I know up front I want a roll bar and a few hoops.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

mike bowling and loudbang like this.
  23. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

onekoolkat1950 and loudbang like this.
  24. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

mctim64, i420, joey7508 and 10 others like this.
  25. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

If you think you might ever want to "see what she'll do" the time to start planing and building a legal cage and meeting other safety regs is now. Loring is next door to us in the LSR world.......

Get all 3 rule books - LTA, ECTA, and SCTA - there are subtle differences . Building to meet the safety regs of all 3 sanctioning organizations would also increase the value should you ever decide to sell.

Ed

i420, Hombre and Stogy like this.
  26. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Thanks Ed. I talked with a buddy who runs at Loring about the requirements the other day actually. Seems pretty simple to run there. I might consider it.

mike bowling, Hombre and Stogy like this.
  27. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

28. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Yup that's next . 50's drag roadster 322 nailhead , 4 speed , slicks......next year

29. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Love this! Think it'll be at TROG?