Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mr 40s Battery Tray

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CharlieLed, Oct 15, 2017.

1. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I have been looking at a battery tray for my 40, the kind that tucks up behind the front right tire under the fender. Mr 40s sells one but I can't see how it mounts or how far the battery may drop down under the lower edge of the frame. Has anyone used this battery tray? Better options?

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

3. Make one yourself.........................

4. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

A clearer description would help.

5. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Finally a battery location that is out-of-sight, close to the motor and easily accessible. The unused space tucked into the right side fender is perfect for our newest battery boxes. We know they work on '35 to '48 Ford frames cause we've run 'em there for years. They'll probably work in lots of other fat fendered cars too!

Laser-cut from 18ga. stainless steel, this box measures 10-1/2" wide, 7-1/2" tall, 6-3/4" from back to front, and uses 15-1/2" of frame-rail space. Kit comes with AVK industrial nutserts with stainless steel Allen head hardware and mounting tool for boxed or open frames.

Battery location means you can use shorter cables thus increasing voltage to your engine over trunk mount batteries.

Removing the splash guard and reinforcing the fender may be neccessary. No hold down or battery strap needed...fender location keeps the battery from escaping the box.

Attached Files:

6. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I've had several '40's and for me a trunk mounted battery worked best. I have thought about under the front fender as you are inquiring about. However if you drive your car like I have mine, I find under the front fender would be dirty and difficult to access for emergencies. Of course if it's a trailer queen, no problem, it wouldn't get dirty. I've always used welding cables for battery cables and therefore I wouldn't notice much voltage drop.

john worden likes this.
  7. flamin01a

flamin01a

I used a 50 ford car tray on mine, close to the starter, behind the right front tire

8. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

The last sentence explains why I put mine in the trunk. I bought their kit but once in hand it just didn't suit me. So I used the parts and put it in the trunk.

9. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Joe, could you elaborate on "it just didn't suit me"? Shoot me an email if that is more convenient.
    I am having difficulty getting my questions answered from Mr 40s. The photo shows a flat plate that bolts to the frame. On my 40, if I mounted that plate to the frame then either the top of the battery would hit the lower cowl or the bottom of the battery would sit below the lower edge of the fender. There seems to be room if the battery box is moved out away from the frame so that the battery would clear the lower cowl but the battery box does not appear to be designed to mount like that.

Attached Files:

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have installed 8-10 of these on 40's over the years. I modify the splash guard and make a panel that covers the front as well-panel drops out with one screw. They fit tight and require a battery that is a little shorter than most--have the battery number somewhere. Also made several of the same design-a little wider and deeper. Never have had an issue. A little tricky to chg battery but no big deal. Have one here now for the next 40 coming soon. My 40 has been running with one for 8 years. Some pics-this one didnt have ac-with ac it is a little busier in there. Drove a 40 with this setup around Hawaii for 2 weeks in the rain every day and the dirt too-no issues.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  11. lazydog40

lazydog40

[​IMG] On mine I modified the front ear to move the tray up and forward, used some of those threaded clips (retainers?) from a gauge panel to hold the Red Top lip into the tray. Then, using an hold beat up splash panel from the frame to fender mount. Nice terminal covers with liberal silicone grease. Excellent starting power, no problems, summer thunderstorms etc. Pic from battery change after 8 no touch years.

Attached Files:

olscrounger likes this.
  12. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Thanks for the pics olscrounger, they help a lot. Here is where I stand right now, I like the simplicity of the No Limit drop down box (I have one on my 56 F100) but it won't work for the 40 without extensive mods. The pics show the outline of where I can place the drop down box on my 40. I will need to space the mount out 1-1/2 inches from the frame to get the battery/box to clear the cowl. The battery is 7x7x10 so I have plenty of clearance to the fender. I live a few blocks from Direct Sheetmetal and I have Dave do much of my sheetmetal work. I mention this because he makes templates of the items I give him to fabricate so for those who may want a drop down box for their 40 they should be able to order one. Once I get a mockup built I will move on to the splash guard and fender brace. Thanks again for the inputs.

Attached Files:

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

flamin01a, you have a "conversation" from me with some questions, please take a looksee.

14. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I've been running a battery on my passenger side under the fender for 15-17 yrs now. made a bkt and welded it to the frame. to jump or charge it, I just turn the wheel out, no problems