Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Banjo Problem?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemunkey, Oct 16, 2017.

1. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

Need Help.

Car is a 1941 Mercury, original Flathead and banjo rear end.

A few weeks back, I got in to take the ol' girl to work. Running a little late, and knowing that I'd have to take the long way, without a toll-pass, I stepped on her a little as I left the driveway. When I approached the stop sign, noticed a noise coming from under the car. I pressed the clutch in, to change gears, the noise would disappear. Made the next stop sign, and was having issues shifting into gear, (noisey underneath still - only when stopped, until clutch was pressed.) Immediately, took her home, assuming the clutch was going/gone... Figured I would work it out when I got home.

Motor would run fine, but the car sounds like the tranny/torque tube is wanting to engage in neutral. Spent the next week or so trying to troubleshoot the noise, but probably rushed, again, assuming the clutch was a goner. (the car sat for quite a few years before I got it, after driving it pretty hard for a couple of years, figured it made sense that we'd be at this juncture.)

Fast forward, Pulled the motor and replaced the clutch and clutch assembly, throw-out bearing, whole nine yards. Slap the piston pusher back in and fire her up, noise is still there. Only, now the clutch pedal is no assistant to dampening the ear torture. Why would the tranny be engaging the drive shaft? I can hear it is coming from the torque tube/rear end. The car is not moving, but the noise assures me that something is out of whack. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm just looking for any advice, before I pull the rear end and torque tube assembly, after using the clutch as an excuse to cosmetically upgrade the engine bay, time and money are almost a means for divorce at this point...lol. And I'd miss my TV.

Thanks for your time and input.

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Pull your front U joint and have a look.
    Sounds similar to a problem I had a few years ago.

3. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

replaced the front u joint, thought that also may be the culprit. What about adjusting pressure plate arms? Been trying to hunt this thing down via forum questions, I don't think I recall seeing any adjustment points on the clutch assembly. the old one had arms with bolts on the end like you could adjust the point in which the throw-out bearing makes contact with the pressure plat arms...

Also, would it help to adjust the pedal play? currently feels like no-to-little resistance on the pedal, when pressed toward to the floor? I'm hoping it's something more simple than pulling the entire rear-end/torque tube assembly...

4. Do not try to adjust the contact points on the clutch pressure plate. These are for initial adjustment by the mfg. or rebuilder, not for owner adjustment.

5. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

^^^^^
    Thank you. Wasn't convinced that was my best option, either.

Has anyone heard of having to fabricate new clutch pedal adjusting rods to get more travel from the fork/throw-out bearing to the pressure plate arms? Also, would the clutch pedal adjustment lead to the drive shaft turning, in neutral?

6. Sounds like something is off inside the trans. The pedal should have 1"-1 1/4" freeplay (46-48 manual) before it starts pushing on the pressure plate. I just did my '47 and made the mistake of using a new disc with the old pressure plate (trans was shot, but clutch was good...disc had a broken spring), it didn't work, wouldn't disengage. I put the all new parts in (flywheel, disc, pressure plate) and it works fine now. I would recommend getting your original clutch rebuilt (look on the Fordbarn) abd using that, but you might need to look inside the trans.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75728