Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SUCH A WASTE of good pine needles

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sloppy jalopies, Oct 13, 2017.

1. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Happens every year, pine trees dumping their needles...
    But look at all the wasted needles that won't land on a model A Ford...
    DSCN1483.JPG

Remember the days when there was an A under every pine tree ?
    Any more model A discovery pix out there ?
    DSCN1458.JPG

kiwijeff, Speed Gems and biggeorge like this.
  2. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

"Sitting and Rotting" will break your heart.
    Whens the guy gonna restore that one?

3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

gonna adopt the ol' gal ... but I think she's just a parts pile... or yahd aht...

czuch likes this.
  4. If you want to see a bunch of old cars covered in pine needles google the Old Car City USA in White Georgia. Those have been under pine trees for decades.

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I found a Model A door in the woods years ago under pine trees and snow. It hangs outside my garage now.

biggeorge likes this.
  6. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I have a Model A under my pine tree....

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. Got a model A,but no pine tree.

kiwijeff and belair like this.
  8. hammerd 31

hammerd 31

This reminds me ,time to change the old pinetree air freshener in my a :D

Jet96, kiwijeff, dan31 and 1 other person like this.
  9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

hmmm.... didn't think of that... I live in the Pine Tree State... I thought that pine needles rotted everybody's model As... guess its just us.

10. This ones been collecting pine needles for too many years now; thought I might have gotten it out this year; but doesn't look that way now.
    40 sedan.jpg

Stormtron likes this.
  11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I found a farmer new the coast with a Model A Tudor in his front yard, every year for many years I would call by and see if he was interested in selling it.
    Every year it was the same reply, nope, I'll be restoring this car some day.
    Well every year with the salt air and dampness, that car just melted into the dirt.
    The rust out was just so bad and rapid in the end I stopped wanting it and I figure it would have literally vanished into the ground in the end...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    onthefritz likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Model A is on the other side from the pine, spruce and redwood trees. Redwood came home with me 55 years ago as a 12 inch or so tall seedling that I brought back from the Trees of Mystery and gave to my grandmother. The spruce trees shed more needles than all the others combined though.

13. Here's a warning from one who has just returned home after a mandatory fire evacuation: If you want to park your car under a tree find an oak tree. Pine trees and their needles are highly flammable. Some in the fire suppression industry refer to pine trees as 'gas can plants'. My apologies to the OP. Sorry to be so negative about what is really meant as a lighthearted subject but I'm still a little sensitive.

302GMC, czuch and kiwijeff like this.
  14. belair

belair

Me too.

15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Got a neighbor whose white pine tree overhangs our property line, and drops 6 inch long needles year round; I have't found ANY kind of car under it. The tree just makes a mess for me to clean up! The only pine tree I can lay claim to, is an ornimental type, and the needles are very small; no car there either. Where the heck are all these cars? Maybe they already rusted away? The Delivery is in the garage, and Tri-Five Chevrolets are known for needles/leaves plugging up the air box, causing the firewall and vent ducting to rust out; no way will it ever be parked under a pine tree (or any tree). I had a Chevy II wagon once that had been parked in an apple orchard for a few years with the rear window stuck in the down position. The floorboards of that Chevy II were the best I've ever seen, but the rear storage area platform was thoroughly rusted out due to the leaves and water that has just set there. I've seen cars and trucks on local dairy farms, that were parked and left; they sink into the ground/manure, and rot very quickly. The only thing worse, are those cars/trucks that get used for target practice. It's all too bad, just sickening sometimes, to see a car/truck with so much potential, endure such destructive abuse because someone just does't care. But, the average Joe's want their parks, recreational areas, historic buildings, but then could't care less about historic automotive history. I don't get it, I just don't get it. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  16. Prayers for all the fire victims and stay safe.

17. yep....our east side of Texas is known for them....pulling a car out is hell....most of it won't come with ya. And I was up north in the great state of Pennsylvania and saw the destruction of just needles on a car for long periods....sad...

18. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

When I was around 13 the neighbor had a large pine tree in the back yard and one day I noticed a old roof sticking about 3 inches out of the ground. So with a big stick in my hand I sat down beside it and went to digging at the corner of it.

After I got down about 5" deep and around 4" wide the old neighbor came out and started laughing, he told me to keep going because when he was young they stuck an entire 32 Ford coupe there. Said it was a big hole when they bought the house and his dad pushed the old 32 in the hole to help fill it in. He said his dad was disappointed because the hole wasn't deep enough to cover it all. He said his dad said leave it alone it would rust away pretty fast. Old man laughed and said he was still waiting for that roof to rust away.

JB_roadrage likes this.
  19. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Went out to cut / brake the 8 bolts holding the '30 cab down... the nuts under the cab section of the frame were rusted into acorn shaped lumps... no wrenches needed here...
    . DSCN1447.JPG

kiwijeff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. southcross2631

southcross2631

The first thing I do when I buy place is cut down the pine trees. They are lightning rods and then they fall on your house ,your shop, your car. Hate pine trees.

21. Near one of my favourite back country fishing streams... #Canada

Attached Files:

22. b-bob

b-bob

Pine needles and rain are part of the reason there aren't many model As left up here. The needles hold the moisture against the metal for months at a time. End result is major rust problems.

czuch likes this.
  23. I have a Model A with a tree growing through it. HRP

[​IMG]

biggeorge and kiwijeff like this.
  24. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

That's a builder. In the Northeast, if it has paint, it's a builder!

25. topher5150

topher5150

Compared to some of the heaps that I've seen put together with, some kind of black magic, this looks like a nice little weekend project.

patmanta likes this.
  26. Don't leaf us in suspense, did you dig it out? :D haha, just needling ya. ;)

So now Every time I see a Pine tree, I'm gonna have to look to see if it has a A model Ford under it. :D

27. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

local eatery, THE VILLAGE INN in auburn, me. sits on a filled gulley...An old timer [Richard Smith] sold them 25 cars for $5 each, they were cheaper than fill... one was a 1934 ford deluxe phaeton with canvas top intact... might be worth some shovel time...

biggeorge likes this.
  28. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

I know of a 56 f100 under pine trees same story everytime I ask about it! You wanna sell the ford nope gunna restore it one day as I clean the pine needles off... Eye roll

29. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

We light the Christmas tree in the front yard every January 1st.
    One of the new neighbors came out and wanted to burn his too. He was amazed how fast they go up.

30. Deuces

Deuces

Had 2 of my pines chopped down last month.... Didn't see any A's under them..... :(
    Just my luck...:(