Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Santa Rosa fire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pigfluxer, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Saw a Suburban pulling a trailer with a '56 Chevy on it. Straight axle, blower, melted rims charred mess.

In Marin, there is a building code called Urban Wildfire Interface that requires class A roofs, gyp board behind the siding, laminated glass etc. Don't know if Sonoma Co. has that. Not sure how much that would have helped in a fire of this magnitude.

2. Take care and stay safe to all those in the fire areas, you are in our thoughts. I've seen the pictures and the destruction is beyond belief

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Special Ed likes this.
  3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I saw that and I believe it was a '56 Chevy wagon.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yeah I know it's melted aluminum but I wanted to know exactly what it used to be.

5. All true statements but it doesn't have to be this catastrophic. Anyone who is concerned about fire should immediately contact a local fire prevention organization(in California look for an office of the Fire Safe Council) or a local fire department. Ask about defensible space preparations. A lot can be done to reduce the risk of a fire by means of removing weeds, brush, dead or weak trees, etc. Give the fire fighters something to work with. There is significant proof that it works.
    Regarding propane tanks, California State Resource Code 4291 specifies a ten foot clearance area with absolutely no flammable material.
    I wonder about preparation when I read of these mega blazes. How many people in that tract in Santa Rosa knew about ember intrusion or radiated heat? Did they know to take down their curtains and move furniture to the middle of the room? How many of them had gas powered lawn machines and gas cans stored under a wooden deck?
    I could go on and on with intricate details and what ifs but I've already said too much.
    By the way, we have just returned after four days of forced evacuation due to a near by fire. Thank god we lost nothing. Best wishes to those who did.

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

xalfaracer has it right. Our community (775 acres) in the Florida Pan Handle is in an extremely wooded area thats very proactive in fire prevention with local fire prevention organizations with an initiative called Fire Wise. A lot can be done such as brush and weed removal, creating fire breaks, controlled burns and prevention initiatives to protect dwellings. Lots better then doing nothing.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They were encouraging people with homes up in the wooded areas of this state to clear out brush and keep the dry grass cut down and cleaned up around their places this year. I've seen more and bigger wildfires in the past five years than I can remember. All of that dry grass between the fence and the fire trucks in the photo taken of the fire trucks near Vern's ranch is pretty scary when you have big fires in the area. Real scenic when there isn't a fire compared to it being mowed or grazed down but mowed or grazed wouldn't be near the fire hazard.

john walker likes this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

most homeowner insurance companies in California are very strict about having a clear safe zone around buildings, etc in risk areas - but, with fire/winds in destroyed areas nothing would truly protect a home, etc -
    more high winds expected tonite/tomorrow in fire areas

lurker mick and Special Ed like this.
  9. yep - melted aluminum something....

10. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Can't help but cry through this thread.
    Praying hard for my brothers and sisters to the north. Ive been through some toughies, but never seen anything like this.
    God is good, all the time.

Sent from my LGLS992 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nobey and 54delray like this.
  11. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CITY OF LONG BEACH, LA COUNTY

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

No recent postings?

13. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have all in my prayers.
    Looks like lead from a battery to me.

15. Budget36

Budget36

10 feet of clearance?...mercy, for a fire of this magnitude...50 feet would not suffice...I mean, there has to be 10 feet between homes in those burned out tract's, right? So many have talked about homes going up in minutes, think and ponder that for a bit...minutes....not hours to burn...just minutes.

I haven't lived in the area for many years, but do know the areas that are affected.

Gut wrenching for me as I'm sure some of those old time friends of mine are going through some serious issues now and all I can do is hope for the best for them.

So tragic, so effing tragic.

My next concern is bout the upcoming winter...aw fluck...I'm rambling. Man, right now I'm hoping for one giant down pour of rain to hit the area...please, dump the water...please.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

17. toml24

toml24

I saw the home of Charles Schulz, the creator of the comic strip"Peanuts" was destroyed in Santa Rosa, and a lot of memorabilia was lost. This is terrible. I give everyone my best wishes.

18. Luckily the fire danger here in the Ozark foothills is much lessened. We are getting a much needed rain. There are burn bans in effect. However that don't prevent the farmers to the south from burning off the rice stubble after they harvest the crop. And that burning and the tillage of that burned ground created a dirty haze in the air. This rain has cleaned the air of that and the dust and pollen. This rain is a slow steady soaking drizzle. Just what we need. Hopefully those in Calif and other dry places will receive rain.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20. 10 feet? The minimum is 100 feet and that is on flat land. On a hill side more is required.

21. I think that you are referring to the Fire Wise Communities movement. Good that you mentioned it as it is another point of reference for those looking for help. This movement seeks to get whole or a large part of a community or neighborhood to work together to meet the defensible space specifications. Safety in numbers!
    Thanks again for mentioning it.

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

these disasters are still ongoing

24. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

I just got back home to Calistoga last night, I'm lucky. Many friends are not[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Freds ok, pretty sure Verns ok. I'll try to stop by tomorrow but I have to drive all the way to napa and back up 101 because of road closures

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

54delray and Special Ed like this.
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

100 feet of defensible space in many areas where these fires burned would have required that you demolish 2-6 of your neighbors homes.

Unless you are absolutely and directly familiar with the territory where these fires happened, you are providing blanket advice, which while excellent, does not necessarily apply to the situation.

I live here. Right here. My friends are homeless, and have loss every single thing that they own.

As has been mentioned, it is a little early to start pointing the finger at the causes and deficiencies here. These are not fires that happened.

These are fires that ARE STILL BURNING.

What is needed now are donations and volunteers, not criticisms of fire management polices.

If you want to help, instead of just thinking that you are helping, put up some cash. Load your truck with supplies, and get on the road.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    ls1yj, clem, Nobey and 8 others like this.
  27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Gimpy, when you find an agency that is involved with helping these folks that isn't siphoning off over half the money for executive salaries, please post and let us know. I can't help physically due to distance away and my physical limitations, but if I know my money is going where it should, I can manage a donation.
    Won't get into specifics here, but please, don't suggest Red Cross.

28. Deuces

Deuces

What a damn shame.... :(

kadillackid and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, not the Red Cross.

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have asked my network to provide a list of local places that can take donations, and apply the maximum to relief, and not overhead and executive salaries.

54delray, Hatchet and Special Ed like this.