Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects THAMES FROM SCRATCH

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Sep 29, 2017.

1. There's potential here for a tilt body, funny car style!

2. rooman

rooman

Why a quick change? Lots more parts to break and not as strong as a 9" unless you go with the champ style. With the fact that all of the vehicle weight is going to be riding on the housing most of the time a fabricated style housing (Strange H 1110 or similar) would be a much better bet. Floater hubs would also be a good idea for the same reason.

Roo

3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been talking to Winters and they assure me they have just what I need. You see we are going to do something with this wheel stander that I don't think anyone has tried: Drive it on the street like a regular car! Here is the plan. Supercharged 4oo small block facing the rear right at the rear doors. Do the doors in Lexan so at car shows and in the pits etc. folks can just look through the doors and see the motivation etc. TCI two speed glide into a heavy duty marine application "V" Drive and then back to the quick change.

Up front, I am thinking about a custom fabricated baffled tank to the fill the snub nose area on the van...70 gallons of water. That is nearly 600 pounds right on the nose. Out back just over the wheel wells two 35 gallon tanks. Between the front and rear a 50 gallon per minute pump. The thought is put the highway gear in it and easily drive it on the street with the nose tank full. (Well maybe not a daily driver but certainly with care you could drive it with the correct amount of weight up there). Then flip the switch on the pump and transfer 600 pounds of ballast to a neutral point over the rear wheels in just over a minute. Of course if you were not going to drive it to the track you could always drain the water and go with just a wheel stander. But here is my ultimate thought: Drag Week 2018.

Can you imagine. Sticking this thing in the Gasser Class or with the Hot Rod etc. Who cares, we will not be there to win the class. We will be there to turn the place on its ear! Run a full quarter mile wheel stand, then flip the pump on, transfer the ballast back to the front, change to a highway gear and hit the road....! It would be the first attempt at a Drag Week Wheel Stand Tour!

enloe, elgringo71, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  4. UK Slingshot

UK Slingshot

Going to follow this, sounds an interesting idea.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Ummm... mind blown! I'm not sure this idea works, but I'm equally not sure that it doesn't. I am sure that it sounds fun.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  6. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Great idea. A mate of mine had one of these back in the 80's, gasser style. Def watching this build.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Glad to see you getting after it. The Drag week idea is great, your'd be the most photographed car there!

loudbang and TFoch like this.
  8. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

9. Saxxon

Saxxon

I'm liking the effects your medication are having on you...

Just a word of advice on the 400 block - they suck and they are weak. When I went to build the Scout motor everyone ... and I mean ... everyone - warned me away from any serious hp using the 400 block, especially with a blower.

Following this one...

10. squirrel

squirrel

make sure you get a stout V drive....did you see what happened to Stubby Bob last week?

v drive.jpg

"Roadkill is at the Eagle Field Drags and we just broke our Casale Toploader v drive. We need a replacement v drive ASAP. If u can bring one here in the next few hours we will love you forever! Needs to. E this exact model and we also need the woodruff keys for the input and output shafts. "

enloe and loudbang like this.
  11. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Those Casale box drives were not that strong. Used mostly in mid to upper hp lower rpm family ski boats.

loudbang likes this.
  12. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

i had a stout one in my 1964 16' rayson craft with an L88......thing whined like a rock crusher.....miss that boat

loudbang likes this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob

That's an old V-drive, like early to mid 1960s. We had one just like it in the flatbottom my Dad built back in '61-63. Should be plenty of units out there now days that can take a whole lot more abuse than that one.
    Damn, can't believe I missed Eagle Field! What was I doing?
    Love the Spilled Milk idea! Not too sure about the liquid ballast but it can't hurt to try it. Baffle the hell out of the tanks.
    Engine inside the back doors - I love it!

loudbang likes this.
  14. o_O I'm in...

loudbang likes this.
  15. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Had one in my '66 Beyers flat, 425 Buick. Like I said mid to upper hp and lower rpm.
    Don't know about using the v-drive method. May set the engine way too high. Saw one at Delavin car show years ago in a Falcon pickup. Engine with blower sat higher than the roof.

loudbang likes this.
  16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

We were standing at the fence just behind the starting line, he spun the tires and then it didn't move. Oops!:rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  17. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, good luck ! Ed.

loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  19. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

My dad took me to a St Louis Cardinals game when I was ten and the extremely inebriated guy sitting next to dad kept asking him if he wanted peanuts. No matter how many times my dad corrected him, he still called dad "Ed". This was not dad's name. It is one of my fave dad memories

loudbang, Sancho and Deuced Up! like this.
  20. I believe he is, like signing a letter...

loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  21. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Great stuff!

loudbang likes this.
  22. loudbang likes this.
  23. carryallman

carryallman

what ever happened to this e-83 build ?back into the shop corner ??