Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Snake oils or not snake oils??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Oct 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 34Larry

34Larry

I'd imagine this has been discussed here before, and if it has I did not see it and I'm interested to know the opinions of all you guys that are so knowledgeable. After all if you got a question, where else on this earth do you go for the best answers?

So, just got back from our new Advanced Auto supply here and was so impressed that Auto Zone, and all the rest are now third and forth rate with me.

While there I passed through the "chemical and oil" additive section and was dumb founded on the amount of the "stuff" out there to suck you in.

So I got to wondering on my drive home, " When reading their labels should I believe what is there and should I be adding some of that to my Hemi and 727" ? Or is it all BS and meant just to suck the consumer in? I've always wondered that and never thought of asking the opinions here.

loudbang likes this.
  2. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I've had decent luck with Engine Restore and Lucas engine oil treatment. Can't speak for much else.

51 BIRD likes this.
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I try to steer clear of that aisle, but it's also where the engine oil is. Seems odd to have a good grade of motor oil on the same aisle as something that claims 1 quart of it's fluid will rebuild your engine. Very odd indeed.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  4. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have used the Lucas in a manual transmission . It quieted down a noisy top loader until I could get it torn down to repair it. I have used sea foam to take the carbon off the tops of pistons , but water will do the same thing.

1927graham likes this.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Wonder how they got that guy in there and is he ASE certified?

mechanic.jpeg

6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i have used Lucas engine oil additive in my lawn tractor and old 6 hp push mower with good results , both have mowed a lot of lawn , also ive seen it used for assembling and engine , and in oil changes of an engine that has sat a long time , no problems noted

larry k likes this.
  7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

IMG_0018.PNG

Imagine! You better, because that's how they kept the FTC off their ass I'll bet.

IMG_0016.PNG

0351 and tfeverfred like this.
  8. dan31

dan31

I think with todays oil tech.,"bearing in a can" additive are not needed.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I have had good luck using Rislone in automatic transmissions that suffered with slow shifting and it also will soften up hardened seals to a certain extent. The things that make claims that seem too good to be true, usually are!

10. WTF really

WTF really

I personally love the Lucas products they have worked very well for me.

Montana1 and dan31 like this.
  11. I had success an high mileage engine along with Engine Restore. It helped reduce "Blow by" and plug fouling. I've used Lucas Products as well.

51 BIRD and loudbang like this.
  12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've used Lucas oil stabilizer for over 25 years in everything from semi truck diesels to lawnmowers, never had an oil related failure in that time. Did lose a Cummins ISX earlier this year due to egr carbon eating the bearings out of it, but it was still holding 30 lbs oil pressure when it locked up!

classiccarjack and loudbang like this.
  13. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

STP out of fashion? most of the other things wouldnt use , think we tried one of the "seal swell" things once but its so much better just to fix the problem.....

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used STP on the bearings when assembling engines for years. I can't find it anymore but we used Bardahl top oil in the gas tank to thaw out frozen gas lines in the 60's I've probably spent more on Lucas injector cleaner in the past ten years than I did on all snake oil combine for the 44 years of driving before that. That seems to work in my wife's car that most of the time doesn't get any miles put on it except two miles to the store and two miles back.
    Thinking about it I did put a quart of Motor Honey in the 48's beyond worn out 250 on the way to Bonneville a few years ago to try to help slow down going through so much oil. When you stop at a gas station and fill the oil and check the gas you are going though too much oil. Great trip to Bonneville, then to Pleasanton and back here in a big triangle but boy howdy did I go though the oil. Engine had way over 200K on it and still has never had the head off.

loudbang likes this.
  15. If you are using good engine oil you shouldn't have to add anything to it. Nothing will repair a worn out engine except to take it apart and install new parts.

16. leon bee

leon bee

I like that Lucas stop-leak power steering fluid that stuff works. Some of those seal expanders like SealX do too.

17. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Had a worn out 460 in a 4x4 we used to pull the race car. We were planning to pull it and rebuild in the of season. Used a quart of oil every 3 to 400 miles and had really weak compression and was hard to start. On a dare, we dumped a quart of Engine Restore in it when we changed oil. If helped. After another oil change after then next 2000 miles we added another can. It stopped burning oil, started much better and got better mileage. Hated to admit it but the stuff actually worked for us.

Used to use a product by the name of Nichols (oil additive like Slick 50) and it ran a lot cooler oil temps on our dirt mod engines. We had sponsorship to do it but even after the sponsorship was over we kept doing it. Dropped oil temps 30*. Gave a can to a guy one night because he was having oil temp problems. He came back at the end of the night and bought several bottles from us. It worked for him, too.

SPark

HunterYJ likes this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm getting this stuff, you can run without oil. Just think of the savings in oil, oil pumps and kitty litter!;)

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

A friend of mine had a 55 Ford with a worn out 365 Cadillac motor that had just about zero oil pressure. Prior to selling it he drained the oil and put in some Snake Oil called Motor Honey which raised the oil pressure.

21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Lucas, HyperLube, Engine Restore, Motor Honey, Rislone all work pretty good.
    The stuff that I stay away from is Slick 50/DuraLube. They have a chemical that is corrosive to the main bearings, and I found out the hard way.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Slopok

Slopok

Marvel Mystery Oil is an old favorite of many people that I know. Like George Castansa from Seinfeld used to say.... "if you believe it then it's not a lie".

blowby likes this.
  23. Slopok

Slopok

Fixes Non Running Engines???:eek: That's gotta be some good stuff!o_O

Donuts & Peelouts and blowby like this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

I like MMO only, mentioned it before, but ran 10:1 in my tank or through the carb, than anywhere else.

Hey, but maybe them snake oils things, have taken place of sawdust in the rearends?

25. "hello, do you have mechanic in a bottle?"
    "yes"
    "well you bett.........................."

mike bowling, Boyd Wylie and Slopok like this.
  26. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

I will LQQK i'm sure i have a couple of cans left somewhere.. no seriously...-n- penz(quart paper can) racing oil too.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  27. Budget36

Budget36

Look for Power Punch

28. carbking

carbking

When in college in seemingly a different lifetime, had a buddy that bought all the "trick" (motor saving, gas saving, whatever) stuff that JC Whitney had to offer. His only problem: stopping once a day at a service station to sell the excess gas that he was making. Even had to add an auxiliary tank to hold it until he got to the station to sell it.:p:cool::)

Jon.

29. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

My old man always said there was nothing in a can that would fix a car.

30. I used to throw a can of that teflon goop into the crankcase when I had a tired old motor. Seemed to run a bit better, but when you spend 20 bucks on something, your mind can play tricks on you!

Andamo, pat59 and robracer1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.