Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Body hammers - score!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jarretts70, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Two things I don't normally do - First is post to the HAMB, although I spend lots of time lurking.. Second is go to auction sales. But my dad goes to some sales, and today he let me know about an estate sale close to my place. He had gone yesterday to check it out and there was nothing of interest to him, but my old man called me to say the place was full of old cars and parts, tools, etc....so I went. It was great! Lots of old tools, a few cars, parts, etc...Here was my big score. Found a box buried in the junk with a few body hammers & dolly's, but I couldn't see all the contents. Bought the box for 35 bucks. Turned out to be a good score! Some of the hammers are cheapies but at least one is an old Proto, and they all cleaned up fine. 3 pipe wrenches - the big one is a Taiwan cheapie, but the other two are both quality ones from the USA or Canada. Two vixen files, plus a couple cheesegrater files. And the best, a old US made Chicago Pneumatic flanging tool. It was a good day...

Does any one know what the cylinder thing in the last picture is? It looks like the fellow had been using it as a dolly.

Attached Files:

G-son likes this.
  2. That was a good box of stuff....throw out the poorer tools and you still got a deal.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have something that looks close to it and used many throughout the employed years . It looks like a tubing wedge to me . To used to size tubing before soldering or welding .

4. Very good score! I love old tools Hobo Jim

5. You got more than your moneys worth, that's for sure. I think over half of my tools came from yard sales.

6. Budget36

Budget36

As you're working metal, that picking hammer will be a best friend.

Mine has a the other end, like a 3/8th rod, sorta curved, with the pick.

Can you buy enough hammers? No, but you can always shape them to your needs.

Heck, I have pieces of 3/4in/etc, stock that is bent up, everything can work to shape metal :)

7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_1928.JPG Nice score. Those old proto hammers fetch a good dollar and are every bit as good as the snap on ones. I recently got a similar deal. Now to find a good source of replacement handles.

8. jazz1

jazz1

Nice score. I recognize a hammer as cheap Eastwood as I bought their 7 piece hammer and dolly set. 3 hours with a belt sander got the set in proper form and although the hammers are unusually smaller they have become useful at times.

9. The two dollys and some of the hammers all have the same black paint on them, so it makes sense to me that they are from some sort of matched set. There was other Eastwood stuff for sale there, so jazzl is probably right.

I started sanding these but need to pick up a couple fresh belts for my belt sander. I think I can turn the cheap pieces into useful tools.

10. I'm going start looking for sales like this more often. It's too bad I didn't find out about this sale earlier, I blew my toy budget for the month just a couple days before. There were some really good deals. A really heavy looking bead roller with a large electric motor and a bunch of dies went for 450, I would have really liked that...