Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Decoding the Chevy 327......?Mystery Solved!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INVISIBLEKID, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Hey- need a lil help here...... So- in the early 70's, my POP replaces the 283 in his 65 PU. I went with him when he bought it. A true crate engine in it orange glory, sitting in the dealership on the floor..... A long block, with a short pump, and balancer. Small double hump heads.I'm trying to decipher the codes...... Here's a quandary. There is no way to see the casting behind the drivers side head= it's just that tight with wires/linkage, and I'd have to pull a bunch of stuff apart to see. Mirror is a no go.
    BUT- I do have the #'s off the front pad, and have looked everywhere to decipher, but nothing is telling me anything. The stamping is not the best, and I could be wrong, but here goes.......
    CE7P2666711C(T or E)B This was a "replacement" and or a "crate". Id'e just like to know somewhat what it truly is..... No numbers matching stuff here, just what's legit..... I cant/ haven't found anything through searching.... Thanks.

2. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

3. CE from what I know referred to Counter Exchange so the codes will not be correct if looking for CE in the archives. The casting on block will give you a better idea , of course the double humb heads were always 327.

4. Speed Gems= been there to no avail..... But thanks!
    Chevy Gasser Madness= Makes sense.... Just so buried against the firewall, with linkage, plug wires, and just very tight fitment. I might have to bite the bullet, and go for it..... Thanks.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

3 letters in the suffix makes it a big journal crank.

6. I've shoved my phone into places I couldn't see and took pictures.

Then there's this
    image.png

7. ^ gotta a early 60's PU w/ a V-8? Aint that easy.........

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Also 67 and 68 302 and 67 350

9. squirrel

squirrel

that's a strange number, compared to what we find in production engines.

The suffix...CEB I don't see anywhere. CTB is a 402, so that's not it.

Drive it, and when you really want to know what it is, take it apart and do some measuring.

upspirate likes this.
  10. upspirate

upspirate

This is another variation that can be used for remote viewing and cheaper :
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/2m-mini...VSR-GCh1fkwJWEAQYBCABEgK9q_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

They are for sale in lots of places online and varying qualities.....read the reviews. They make them for Apple and Android. would be useful for lots of car inspections (frame,body,engine internal etc.)
    Also different length cables

11. Also, as I've been enlightened a lil......which I did not include to help myself= balancer is about 7'' across, and about 1'' thick. It IS (crank) drilled, and has a bolt. It DOES have the vent tube provision in the block, which 10+ years ago I stuck a freeze plug in... Also- in the front oil galley above the timing cover, on the passenger side, it has a 1/8'' pipe plug.... This has not been altered from the day it was installed originally ,as my POP bought it, and did the swap. Looking like a small journal replacement block..... It doesn't matter to me, as long as I can get an ID. Thanks Guys.

12. DSCF0445.JPG

After a lil dressing up.......

13. squirrel

squirrel

The block casting number will tell you whether it's a 4" bore or 3-7/8" bore. The damper is probably for a 327 crank.

14. Ya, I think I'm gonna throw on my Indy Jones hat........ Easy compared to work today at my real job.... uugghhh!

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

That $8 endoscope looks pretty neat for the price.

upspirate likes this.
  16. upspirate

upspirate

I don't have one yet, but the neat thing is you can see the item, photo it or video it.
    Not sure , but with some , you can hook it up to an I-pad or tablet also I believe

Gman0046 likes this.
  17. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

CEB was not used as a suffix code. CTB could be one of:
    Camaro 1970 350 z/28 manual trans
    chevelle 1975 400 auto trans
    impala 1974 400 auto trans
    Monza 1978 305 auto trans
    nova 1970 350 4sp

IF YOU'RE LUCKY!!! it might be a good short block
    see how many welch plugs are on each side of the block to
    tell if it is a 400 or not

18. squirrel

squirrel

none of those applications would have the early block with the breather hole in the back....

INVISIBLEKID and lurker mick like this.
  19. So with much prodding, and twisting, I have the casting #'s on the back of the block.....
    3959512= 62-67 327 NO hp figures listed.
    "CE" prefix on front right deck indicates "used as replacement block", OR- Counter Exchange, which would jive with the story. Thanks to ChevyGasserMadness for the CE info, and those you helped....-Kid

302GMC likes this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

did you happen to see the casting date code back there?

21. How did you get to see back there?

22. Pulled the plug wires,throttle arm, and had to lay on the fender with my head damn near against the firewall with a flashlight(s), and a giant mirror. But then it was backwards/upside down...... Oh well- at least I know now.
    Thanks.