Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 59 wagon build....it's a Pontiac!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by negativeMatt, Mar 10, 2014.

1. It's been forever since I've posted so I figured I'd give a bit of an update. I've been working overseas in Afghanistan since Feb.2010 and working on a couple projects when I'm home on R&R. I sold my 33 Hot Rod "Ovaltine" to Hamber Oldskool56 a couple years ago to build my 49 Studebaker, but with a new addition to the three boys I already have, I got the bug to build a wagon. Here he is with it at Cobo Hall. Won the "most extreme" award last year!!
    [​IMG]

So I found a decent wagon on the classifieds here and bought it from a guy in Maryland while I was overseas. It came with a Parisienne parts car so I figured it was a decent deal. We drove up on an R&R to get it. It's only got 53000 miles on the clock, but unfortunately, it had seen some salt. The rear lower quarters were bad, as well as the right side rocker. Amazingly, the floors were pretty decent!

We loaded it up on a trailer and slowly made our way home!

[​IMG]

The parts car was a Canadian car and the rust was unreal. I stripped it of anything useable, and sent it to scrap. I got all the trim, dash, gauges, door panels and bumpers. The sheetmetal was toast.

I found another wagon on the Hamb for parts, but ended up buying the whole car and having it shipped to the house. It had decent lower quarters, and a lot of other good parts, but due to being a rat hotel, the floors were long gone! I spent another R&R stripping it down and cutting it up. I got good fenders, another dash, gauges, trim, doors, bumpers, gas tank, and the lower quarters I needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

start of the day...

[​IMG]

End of the day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car is originally Copper Canyon metallic, so I ordered a new copper interior from Ciadellas. I know it's a Chevy pattern, but I like it. They sent me the material to redo the Pontiac style door panels so I know it will all come together. The kit I got from them is Top Notch! It's gonna look awesome!

[​IMG]

Seat covers being fitted...

[​IMG]

So on my last R&R, I pulled it out of the barn and began the engine installation. This will be my wife's semi-daily car, and our cross country tripper, so I'm putting in a turbo 5.3 like I have in my Stude. (only 8 psi for her!) I know its more street roddy, but it's dependable and cheap to do!

The wife welding up the motor mounts...

[​IMG]

Motor in the rails...

[​IMG]

I ordered dropped spindles from CPP and discs for the front. I'll trim some coils to lower it a little more in the front and rear. I bought 18/20's in a torq thrust style but I will blast the black paint off of them for the raw grey cast look.

My 18mo old checking the wheels out...

[​IMG]

So that's where I am at the moment. I'm back overseas until May 1st. My time over here is done and it's time to come back home and finish my Studebaker and the wagon. I'll post more pics if anyone is interested. We hope to hit some shows along the east coast as I've never been to any out here since I moved from Texas.
    Anyway, thanks for looking!!

back in the barn until May...

[​IMG]

The Studebaker...

[​IMG]

pwschuh likes this.
  2. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

You need to try to come to Bowling Green for the Hot Rod Reunion in June it is awesome it is my favorite show of the year.

Great progress on the wagon.

3. rebstew187

rebstew187

The wagon has some cool lines. Good luck on the build.

4. birdman42

birdman42

The wagon looks bad ass. Keep us posted.

5. Man i thought my 56 buick wagon was big.P.S. i wish i could get my wife to help me on my wagon like yours lol.Bruce.

6. She's a keeper!! We hope to be driving it around this summer while I get it ready for paint.

7. Keep us posted. OK?Thanks Bruce.

8. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

shortened and panelized, and lost two doors?

Attached Files:

9. I've got 4 boys, not losing the doors! I just scored the parts to convert it to a 9 passenger!

belair likes this.
  10. Roger that! many updates to follow! I just bought all the parts to convert it to a 9 passenger, and scored a set of super rare Pontiac only bumper steps!

11. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Awesome

12. Subscribed,,gonna be a cool family wagon. HRP

13. stimpy

stimpy

not into wagons but that is a tank and good looking to boot .. there was one roaming around this parts that was coral pink in color ..

14. HRP, we are moving to Easley when I get back home. I'm sure you'll see us running around in it!

15. Wow! 3 years later and I'm just now getting back to this thread! Updates and pics coming soon if anyone is interested.

enloe likes this.
  16. RMONTY

RMONTY

Post 'em up....love old wagons!!

17. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am interested for sure. If you ever wanna swap that LS for a real Pontiac, I have one I would donate, come and get it.

-Abone.

18. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

;)WE are here , get on with it

19. Thanks for the offer but ill have to pass!

Sent from my SM-G935F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. I'm arranging pics, there is a ton of them!

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

enloe likes this.