Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is this piece?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hombre, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Hombre

Hombre

I am installing a 392 Hemi in my 1934 Ford I just swapped for. The way the previous builder had the column in there would just not work. I have moved the column up to the "normal" position and I am still having a little room problems. Nothing I won't be able to figure out but I was looking at pictures and this one of a 34 ford popped up and what ever they are using at the steering column lowers the steering arm about 2 inches it looks like. This would solve all of my problems. So here is a picture do any of your guys recognize this part and were I may be able to find one? 34 Ford arrow.jpg

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Hombre likes this.
  3. Hombre

Hombre

Stogy, When I found that picture I actually thought it might be that steer clear thing, I went and took a look at those and while very cool and may be the way I have to go, the smallest one of those is an 8" drop. The one in that picture is much smaller. Damn shame it is such a poor picture angle and I can't really tell what in the hell it is. it looks like a pretty small drop I am guessing at 2" but something like that. Was just hoping that someone here had seen this thing before. I do know this if it exist, and it obviously does, someone on the HAMB knows about that critter. Thanks for taking the time to look...

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hombre likes this.

5. GTS225

GTS225

Careful......That M&M piece looks like it's direct gear mesh, which would reverse the rotation.

Roger

Hombre and Stogy like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Hombre likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found the specifics on that item to be somewhat lacking. Thanks for heads up...

Hombre likes this.
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Looks to me like it is a column shifter for the transmission. I may be mistaken, but I think I can see the shift arm and link rod to the tranny when expanding the photo a bit.

In any case I think it is not a device like others describe above.

Ray

Stogy, Hombre, lurker mick and 3 others like this.
  9. Agree with Ray, it looks like the end pivot for a column shifter.

Stogy and Hombre like this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, the top pic shows what looks like a stock 40 Ford style shifter. Nothing at all to do with dropping the column location.

Hombre and Paul like this.
  11. Another option for steering shaft offset is to add another u-joint at or on inside of the firewall; take a little more fab on the lower column mount; but lets you move the shaft a lot further to the left sooner. There was thread on here that showed how the poster went about it. No idea on how to find it.

How about some pictures of what you are up against; may bring out some more ideas, I would sure put any of those fancy offset gear/chain boxes way down the list of possible options.

On the other hand, there has got to be a ton of pictures of '33-'34 with hemi's around in old mags, etc to give you ideas. Probably straight column side steer boxes in them back then; but just imagine u-joints added to the column in the appropriate place for your car.

12. gatz

gatz

13. gatz

gatz

Out of curiosity, I contacted M&M.
    They said that there are sprockets and a chain inside;
    so shafts rotate the same. But note that the ratio is 2:1.

If anyone has any questions, you can contact Jan Munroe at M&M
    [email protected]

or go to their site,

http://www.dwarfworld.com/parts.htm

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That's how I built my roadster steering, sorry can't find photos but this is what I also did on my 66 Suburban.

20170119_200518.jpg

Stogy, Hombre and clem like this.
  15. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

These are made for circle track racers that have to use a stock steering box. They can be bought in 2 ratios, 1.5:1 or 2:1. You install them backwards and it will slow down the steering. They are made a few different ways. Either gears and chain like this brand or sun gear style. Either way the just speed up/slow down the steering, they don't reverse anything. Coleman, Howe, AFCO, Southwest Speed....there are a bunch of styles and sizes available.

SPark

16. Hombre

Hombre

Ray after looking at this I believe you are correct, I don't believe this is what I thought it was. Must be one of those optical solutions "lol".

I don't know why this was even a solution I would consider, not like me to take the easy way out, Bad Hombre, Bad Hombre! I went and spent a little time in the shop and actually figured this out pretty quick. I mean it is a Early Hemi in a 34 Ford 3 window, not like this hasn't been done hundreds of times before. Sometimes a feller just needs to get out of his own damn way.

I remember reading years ago in one of the little Rod and Customs that when doing an engine swap it is always best to install the engine as low and as far back as possible. So that is what I was trying to do. That little quote from my childhood got me hung up a little. I got me one of those fiberglass "mock up" motors so it is easy to move stuff around. I had the motor damn low and far back Too. I was having all kinds of problems, headers were a big problem as well as the steering column, by moving the motor up that alone solved the header problem as well as the steering linkage. Matter of fact I am now surprised at all of the room I do have. Easy fix.

As to this steering drop thing, interesting that some have come up with a piece on there own, man leave it to Hot Rodders if there is a will there is a way. As to the response to my question: Once again the resources available to all of us here on the HAMB is nothing short of amazing. Ask a question and members seek out a search for an answer, it is a cool thing. Thanks Guys!!

RMR&C, Stogy and Hnstray like this.
  17. GTS225

GTS225

Fair enough. I stand corrected. It still appears rather small for a chain drive setup, but there's nothing in the pic for a size reference, so.....

Roger

18. Yep, my first reaction to the picture was to think of the steering reduction boxes sold to install in the steering column to change the steering ratio.

WHY BE ORDINARY ?