Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Is Carlisle Dead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5window, Oct 1, 2017.

1. 5window

5window

I went to the Fall Carlisle Event yesterday with a couple of friends. The weather was cool, but fine and none of us had a big shopping list so we had fun. But, the Car Corral was about 50% full, there were light crowds and I didn't even have to stand in line at the lunch counter. If you know Carlisle, some of the best values are "over the hill" but yesterday much of that space was empty and there wwere lots of other empty space,too.

So, is this a downward spiral? Are all the car guys old or dead or downsizing? Carlisle is pretty expensive-$10 to park/$10 to get in and now $8 for a sausage on a roll. Compared to Hershey where admission is free and the show is huge, this is not a good sign. I'll likely go again next year, but it's not the draw it once was.

What do you all think? How about other shows? I heard Charlotte wasn't great,either.

2. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Stopped going a few years ago, the spring show is better. Going to Hershey this year. So, yes, not what it once was

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Carlisle has been its' own worst enemy.

4. I got back from Charlotte last weekend and yes, it was down a good bit. But its usually bigger in the spring. Last time I went I was in the Greenfield but this time I got a spot in the Orangefield which is usually full by the time I get a space. Greenfield only had a dozen or so vendors it looked like. I think the muscle car era people are taking over as there was not a whole lot of early stuff for sale as compared to the 60s and later stuff.
    I think you might be right, we just might be a dying breed.

5. Fellow Tri-City Rod & Custom member Mike was at Charlotte again this year for probably the twenty fifth year in a row and he said due to some changes his space is not available anymore and the area they moved him to was a lot more expensive.

He told me his 3 day profits were non existent,he sold a few things but didn't cover the expense of the space and porta potty rental,and is questioning selling next year. HRP

66ragtop likes this.
  6. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

I was really surprised by the lack of people walking around fall Carlisle.....sales were OK, but attendance was way down.....$12 at gate did not help......first time in 3 years NO rain (except late fri night) and then only a 20 minute drizzle.....so you could not blame it on mother nature.....

chevy57dude likes this.
  7. I not sure about Carlisle but Charlotte AutoFair had light crowds this year. It is possible the older folks just can't get out like they used too and The younger generations are used to shopping online as far as Swapmeet style stuff. Will be a shame because I enjoy setting up and selling. I actually had a decent year this year!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Did Carlisle on Thursday. Got some deals on a few things but I did notice the empty vendor spaces and the lack of cars in the coral.
    Guess I've been going there for 30 years or so and it is definitely different but I love being around car people.
    Most notable thing was not one person took a knee when they played our National Anthem. Guess us old guys are dwindling but we do respect our flag. God Bless America

9. 5window

5window

Well, that might be respect and it might be because a fair number of us can't get back up if we kneel down. :)

Bandit Billy, raven, slv63 and 6 others like this.
  10. Ha ha. True dat...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. As we age, we tend to stay closer to home. Carlisle, Randolph, as well as others in the Mid-West are experiencing lower numbers. As far as the "Kneeling Thing" goes....I served for 25 years and I'll be damned if I would disrespect America or the flag that represents it ! Shame on those who use The National Anthem for purposes other than to express loyalty to The United States of America and Our way of life ! There are other venue's to protest or express views.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  12. Reality reared its head and work prevailed. Missed it altogether this time. Stan, I still have some stainless pieces for you. Hope you did ok and see you in the spring!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. sweetdick2

sweetdick2
    from new jersey

I went Wed and Thurs. first time for me in a number of years,was surprised by lack of attendees, but had a good time none the less. It's 90% better than Englishtown anytime .. Didn't find my Fulton visor but made some contacts..

14. Budget36

Budget36

Saw a post a day or two ago..old post...but check with @MotherTrucker .seems they have many Fultons.

15. What gate did you go to it is 10 dollars to get in.

16. I went on Thursday not many people the back feilds were wide open got some good deals the car coral was newer cars like you would see on cragslist. It was nice to walk around gets your blood flowinghad to dodge people riding around on the one man carts. Fall has been like this the last 5 years or more spring is better..

Dino 64 and chevy57dude like this.
  17. I grew up on the east coast till I was 22... the Carlisle was the fall show and swap to attend!! Sad to hear!!

18. Deuces

Deuces

Aman to that!!!

biggeorge and 54reno like this.
  19. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I vend at the Chrysler show. Been doing it since the second one. Yes things have changed. I now need to file P.A. sales taxes twice a year. Even though I only go to one show. But even worse, I am supposed to keep track of everything I sell and the taxes I have charged. Also, the show isn't until July but I have to pay for my spaces by this Friday or lose them. Yet you can walk in off the street the day of the show, buy two spaces and get one free!! I don't do this as a business, never did.. It's more of a social event for me. And a chance to get rid of some stuff to buy more stuff. Even tried to explain that but it fell on pretty deaf ears. I will keep going for now. But sadly, I don't know how long. Gene.

sidevalve8ba and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. 62hotcat

62hotcat

Car corral was light due to the auction they now have at a location a block away. I didn't even realize this until I was home. Even with that and Fall Carlisle usually being lighter than spring id say it was lighter than past falls.

21. metalman

metalman

I think swap meets in general are a dying breed. A lot of it is the internet, we're aging out, lot's of factors. We have had 2 swaps here in Albuquerque for years, one spring, one fall ran by different groups. The big city owned park they have been at for many years pulled the plug for some reason, said no more. Instead of finding a new venue both groups I believe are just going to quit doing it so not sure if and when we'll have another.
    We just had our fall meet last week. First time in 40 years I didn't even bother going. Been going downhill for years, last year I decided I was done it was so lame. Sad, use to be one of my highlights of the year.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Last time we were at Carlisle was 1978, I thought it was dying back then. Sure it is a late model show but there were a few early Pre War parts to make the 4+ hour run worthwhile.

Bob

Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4 heavy weather events. The stock market is up over 25%. People are back to work and likely can't get the time off they used to. All factors that can lead to reduced activity in something, we tend to forget, that NOBODY really needs. Last year the uncertainty of an election lowered activity but the crowd was there. I admit though, I'm talking about Hershey which follows Carlisle. I've heard for years that other than marque-specific events Carlisle is floundering. I've never been there, always Hershey. Some folks sold better this year but I didn't do well at all. When you consider who can afford this shit is likely rebuilding in TX, FL, PR, MS, well where do we think buyers will come from? The Hershey Auction was like surfing. Waves of good deals and waves of top dollar. No set result in my view.

But then this "...we're a dying breed, nobody wants..." BS comes up. Really? I'll take it. In fact I'm going to shag the 1st Duesenberg that drops to $100K, the no rust barn find Deuce 3W for $10K and the "Henry Award" winning Model A roadster for $5K. Can't wait to scoop up some ARDUN heads for $1500 too. Or, minus the sardonic undertones, please explain the prices that seem to be record highs across the board on both our stuff and the ones that will always retain their nearly lust level value. A supercharged Cord Sportsman sold for $412,500, the "Pete Henderson" Deuce roadster for $192,500, a Ferarri 330 GT 2+2 for $250,000. There were more but look up the RM Sotheby's sale at Hershey and get a grip. I always use that sale as an honest barometer of the marketplace and it's health. Gas pumps for $9500 in the swap meet? Signs for hundreds if not thousands? We'll always see waves in big events like these yet folks like us just ride em out and roll with it. It's always going to be chicken 1 day and feathers the next. So this year I was feathers, but who knows, I may even be steak next year.

pitman, biggeorge and Squablow like this.
  24. Flop

Flop

A mustang oil Sign across the road from my stall sold for 16.5k .

Squablow and theHIGHLANDER like this.
  25. 5window

5window

Good thoughts, and I have to admit I did not factor in the weather. We are pretty damn lucky here in central PA-and we even got a Hershey with virtually no rain. I think you do have to consider the aging population of antique car guys (mostly 70-90's) and hot rodders (largely baby boomers-yeah, there are outliers like Ryan :), but they are the exception). The internet is a factor, so is "car show greed" like Alphabet Soup mentioned where the promoters want payment NOW and a lot of vendors are living show to show. At the end of the day, I'll still go to shows because I like to walk, talk, meet the folks and find the occasional treasure.

Oh, and one more pet peeve: Probably 90% of the vendors were gone from Hershey by mid-afternoon Friday. The crowd Saturday was huge-the parking lot on the north side of 39 was full, the overflow lot was full and closed by 10AM. The judging field was packed. Ticks me off all the vendors left "early":

OK one more observation-usually Saturday they are interesting finds at the trash cans-treasures folks were "donating" to the pickers. There was virtually nothing to be had this show-what does that mean?

26. haring

haring

I went to Carlisle on a Thursday and did well. I saw more early Ford parts than in the past. Crowds were down but I liked it a lot this fall.

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The defense rests...:cool:

1250 cars registered for the show on Sat and being there I'd say we had maybe a 10% no-show. Still a lot of friggen cars! Granted, now that a 90 Mustang GT is considered an antique there's a mess of "parking lot" we can avoid, as in looks like a local Walmart lot full of used cars (!), but hey they're having fun too. On the swap, it's usually all over but the cryin or drinkin by Fri afternoon. Sat is the diehard gonna-sell-something or bottom feeders that play American Picker and offer .50 cents on the dollar or less. Not really profitable, and if you're there from Tues thru Sat believe me, you're ready to skate come noon Sat. I drive back to S.E. MI so I'm 8hrs on the road. And again with the wave analogy, if any of us research the marketplace going back every 10-12 years you'll see a boom and relax scenario. Car prices rise a minimum of the rate of inflation plus a little. Parts follow suit with a level of interest and the tired old supply and demand thing. Me? I'm a dumb ass! I'm in the restoration biz! What the hell was I thinkin? 3 years ago I blew my wad on opening a shop. That too is chicken one day and feathers the next. A little hot sauce on the feathers, well you can choke em down then...;)
    I guess I can't complain cuz I see this every day:
    032.jpg 033.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    pitman, kidcampbell71, egads and 7 others like this.
  28. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I don't think Fall Carlisle was ever as good as Spring Carlisle. That being said, I have been going to the Spring meet since 1984 and it has been going down hill the last few years too. We will keep going as long as we can still make it around unless it goes clear down the crapper. Hershey in the fall on the other hand just gets better every year!!

5window and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. Squablow

Squablow

Holy shit!

I agree with the Highlander, if there was waning interest, the prices would be going down, and I see the exact opposite. Old cars are not Hummel figurines. I'm 36 and I can remember not that long ago where a $10K+ asking price on an old car was big bucks and needed to be something really special, now that's the tag on fixed up 4 doors and non-running projects.

But $16,500 for an old oil sign?! I like that stuff, but it's just something cool to decorate a shop wall with. What else can you do with it? That's crazy money. When prices like that are actually being paid, the market is as hot as it's ever been.

Flop likes this.
  30. Flop

Flop

[​IMG]

And it's really nothing exciting . I saw way cooler signs at Hershey this year for less .