Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Is Shadow rods still in business? Does anyone know them?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodlane, Oct 11, 2017.

1. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Does anyone know if shadow rods is still in business? Been calling for over a week now and keep getting the same message. I called 4 of the dealers listed on their site and they had no info. One of them told me he would get ahold of paul and have him call me but that was last Thursday and I have not heard anything. No big deal if they are out of business I will just move on, But would like to confirm either way before I try and source my parts elsewhere. thanks

scott34 likes this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm curious about this myself as I had heard something in the past that they were looking at producing a new reproduction and improved flathead block.

Maybe I have my wires crossed :D

3. Fordors

Fordors

The flathead block was the one re-engineered by Motor City Flatheads and then later Shadow Rods got involved and was supposed to market them but I'm sure it is a dead issue. Mark Kirby changed far too much and it became necessary to purchase just about everything from MCF; block, oil pan, water pumps, cam and lifters, head studs were smaller diameter and relocated requiring MCF proprietary heads, and surely more I'm forgetting. Kirby ran one (aluminum block) in a '34 coupe and I guess it was OK but how many customers could be out there looking to buy or build an engine and not be able to use any of their existing parts?

4. 34Phil

34Phil

Their Facebook ends with 2016 Street Rod Nat'ls

5. This picture was taken about a month ago when I had just finished lettering the coupe. This is the test mule that has a 339 cu.in.all aluminum flathead that has logged nearly 70,000 miles. I'm not exactly sure what the hold up is on it but Jon Hall(the owner of Shadow Rods)is very fastidious about what he sells to the public and wants everything perfect before it goes to market. MotorCityFlatheadLogo2 008.jpg

Outback likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

it has a post from the Nats this year, too. If there is no year after the date, it means its' from this year.

shados.jpg

7. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Yes, just saw them a few weeks back at the Ididit open house. They had their trailer and display cars there.

8. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Thanks....I will just keep trying to call. Anyone have a number for jon hall? as the only number I have goes to someone named Paul and I have left atleast 20 messages

9. Beezer

Beezer
    from Michigan

Jon had his full display for Shadow Rods at Columbus this year and was also there as well.
    Jon's prior business is now run by his son and is still in business and going strong.
    You may be able to contact him through his prior company Glastender Inc. at the following phone numbers.
    989-771-5045 or 989-752-4275.
    Shadow Rods is also located at the same location as Glastender Inc.

10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Try Gollers Hot Rods 419-428-2271 Phil seems to have an affiliation with Shadow Rods. I have gotten SR/MCF parts from him in the past.

11. Seen Their display at Louisville and seen Jon,Mark and friends at Kalamazoo- hanging out-they are still around.

12. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

And . . . ?

JasonFields likes this.
  13. Raunchy

Raunchy

I have one of their cars they did for me 2 years ago. The workmanship and quality on it are fantastic. I am waiting for the oilfield to pick back up to finish it. I wanted some things different on it and Paul and Jon were great to work with. I drove up and picked the car up. It was snowing and Paul arranged for some boat people to wrap the car in a plastic shrink wrap cocoon to protect it from salt and snow as it was still in bare metal. John gave us a tour of his shop his stainless cabinet business and his personal garage. All the employees were friendly and Mark showed us the aluminum flathead in pieces and together. I wouldn't hesitate to have them do another car for me. The new Brookville Lakester series is on a Shadow rods frame. Just keep trying to get a hold of them I had some trouble reaching them when they were doing car shows but they always called me back.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Raunchy

Raunchy

Oh yeah Bitchin Rides just built one on their last episode.

loudbang likes this.
  15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So 6 years ago, but how about now. Anyone...?

16. alanp561 likes this.
  17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

The owner of Shadow Rods John Hall just had his AMBR contender 27 roadster featured on the cover of Modern Rodding and I'm betting he will have his usual large display at Louisville for the NSRA nationals in a couple weeks.

18. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im in the process of ordering a set of 32 rails from them right now