Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Santa Rosa fire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pigfluxer, Oct 10, 2017.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is terrifying. I have friends up there with livestock, vintage cars, homes, and lives.

We have every tow vehicle that can be pressed into service ready to pull out the horses, and whatever else we can get.

As for "controlled burn" comments, those are not helping. These fires are less than 15% contained, rapidly growing, and have already consumed 115,000+ acres and upwards of 2000 homes and businesses.

You cannot do a controlled burn in a residential neighborhood:
    22308906_10155915605353010_5910361606535487514_n.jpg

ls1yj, chryslerfan55, modeleh and 2 others like this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was the house, sadly. The shop was untouched, thankfully.

I am going to see if he needs any help, so he can focus on more important things.

Special Ed and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. evintho

evintho

It was pretty bad! Many of our friends lost everything! I praise the Lord that we were left unscathed!!
    We went to bed midnight Sun night and saw a newsflash about a 200 acre fire south of Napa. Didn't give me too much concern as that's a good 30 miles from my house with large swaths of populated areas, large towns and hills in between. At 4 am my wife's phone rang and her sister said turn on the TV and look outside. The whole sky was red with ashes and embers falling into our backyard. Long story short, we're safe but the bulk of the devastation is less than a mile north of us. The weird thing is there's destruction to the east and south of us also! Businesses, entire shopping malls, hundreds and hundreds of homes all burnt to the ground! Freak 60 and 70mph contributed to the carnage and this all happened between 1am and 4am. The blaze just laughed at the 8 lanes of Hwy 101 as it lept over it and lit everything on the other side! This city literally looks like a war zone!

Right now it's so smokey it's not even safe to go outside. We're gonna stay off the roads for a couple of days so we don't contribute to the chaos that's going on right now. Please keep the entire North Bay area in your prayers. There are literally thousands of people who've lost everything!!

4. My thoughts exactly,I've been through a devastating fire but I got my wife and kids out safely,you don't wish this on anyone,they are all in my prayers. HRP

5. jim snow

jim snow

Dam. Prayers to all. Snowman

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Lil32

Lil32

Thoughts and Prayers to all in area
    From your Aussie Mates

41FordVert, Hombre and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

So so Sad. My heart aches for those involved.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those fires seem to move faster than the sage brush and cheetgrass fires we have on the hills here all too often. My Cousin lives in Sonoma and so far is safe but ready to bug out. She was worried about her ex and her daughter though.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There were wind gusts up to 50mph, and sustained winds around 40mph.

Humidity had been at 14-15%. Everything is so dry right now.

Winds are expected to pick back up, as a dry cold front moves through tonight.

10. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Here's his Instagram feed with videos of his property. Its all gone:
    https://www.instagram.com/chucklesgarage/

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let me nail this down for you who still seem to be having trouble with this being an abstract concept:

This is the Coffey Park neighborhood. The red dot that the arrow points to is where Scott Birdsall, his wife, child, and Grandmother lost everything.

RIGHT THERE:
    upload_2017-10-10_16-44-6.png

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Heart braking.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The good out weighs the bad. The gulf coast has hurricanes, yet I stay here. I'm kinda sure Wisconsin has quite a few tornadoes, but have you moved? Shit happens, but if you dwell on it, then you are truly lost. This winter, when those northern winds are whipping down your street, Google the weather in SoCal. People take the good with the bad and carry on. That's the American spirit.

These people are strong and will get through this. If they need help, it should be given unconditionally. They will make it, just like all strong people do, when faced with disasters. If it wasn't for that will to survive and over come, there'd only be 13 states and unknown wilderness.

14. Absolutely heartbreaking sad to see the devastation for those affected. Gimpy's picture is incredible how it just wiped out the entire neighborhood. Had not seen pics like that here in Cincinnati.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

16. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Can't comprehend.

17. We had a house fire and lost everything in it. I had someone state to me you burnt it for the insurance. I stated it was paid for not a penny of insurance. Next thing they say stupid you shoulda had insurance? We where lucky that we had cattle that we sold and bought a house trailer. Losing your home is almost the same type of feeling as a death in the family. You just have to begin again and eventually over time things will improve. I used to belong to the local volunteer fire dept. I went through all the fire training at the academy. I enjoyed being able to help others. They kicked me out for not regularly attending the meetings. I was driving truck and was usually gone when they had the meetings.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. We are sending a crew to help out. Only one rig, but it's all we can spare. Man, it's bad.....:(

19. I suspect these fires are not fueled by dry brush and tinder. I think when one structure catches on fire the heat driven by high wind ignites the structures close by and it just leap frogs destroying everything. You are correct and I was wrong controlled burning cannot prevent this kind of disaster. I wrongly assumed it was a more urban rural type setting.

czuch and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. Gman0046

Gman0046

Whats a more urban rural type setting?

21. I guess it is hard for people that haven't lived in and around this kind of devastation to comprehend, I spent much of my early years in Southern California and have family and friends there yet. I know what these wild fires can do! It is not an issue of land management it's mother nature at her worst. California, as well as other western states, have been suffering thru the worst drought in many, many years. They haven't had the rain, which in turn dry's up the water shed, September & October Southern California gets the "Santa Ana" winds and all it takes is one little spark and the water shed is burnt away. When it does finally rain, the water shed is gone and you get the mud slides. It's just a vicious cycle.
    Thoughts and prayers for everyone effected, both Southern and Northern Californians. Stay safe...

22. You will find that most, if not all, of these fires started in the foothills. Drought has dried out the "brush and tinder" and it doesn't take much to start a fire. A brush or forest fire is self propelled, the heat creates wind which in turn drives the fire into the neighborhoods. Glowing embers are blown onto the roof tops of these homes and businesses and then all hell breaks loose!

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Not looking good at Vern’s tonight fellas. They just had a forced evacuation. Keep your fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

The recent devastation in California is horrific...our thoughts and prayers go out to those affected.

Up north here in British Columbia we have had the worst wild fire season...ever! There have been over 1100 wildfires, tens of thousands of acres lost, hundreds of homes, but thankfully no lives.

I have recently retired from the helicopter industry and learned from experience to respect fire, which is the single thing I fear. A few of my old colleagues are still at the fore-front battling wildfires in western USA...one in particular is an ex-Viet Nam vet flying a S-64 Skycrane for Erickson. Joe A is now 70 years old and is one of the best at what he does.

When the fire 'season' is over in the States he goes to Australia to work on fires there...Those persons on the front line are an extraordinary group of selfless individuals that put themselves in harms way on a daily basis.

25. Where folks live on a spot of acreage. Our closest neighbor lives 1/4 a mile from us.

26. I read that a lot of the yards had eculaplisis trees and that they are very flammable? In the Ozarks shingle roofs are disappearing. Colored metal roofing and siding is becoming very popular.

chryslerfan55 and 1stGrumpy like this.
  27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not getting any weather station reports from around him. The power is likely out.

The next closest stations to him are showing winds that would not push the fire towards him, but wild fires do produce their own weather, and the terrain is varied.

29. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Absolutely horrifying! Best of luck to all involved.

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Getting reports on the ground. As of right now, the fire is less than a mile away from Vern's... and there is another approaching from the north. It doesn't look good at all.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    gimpyshotrods likes this.