Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Never Ending Hop Up Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Felipe Toltecatl, Oct 20, 2016.

1. rjones35

rjones35

Man that's looking great!

Felipe Toltecatl likes this.
  2. abner36

abner36

this thing is awesome !! love it

3. I was interviewed too. I'm the know-it-all asshole in the white t-shirt & green cap emphasizing the importance of knowing your history and time traveling through my builds.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Blues4U, tfeverfred and turboroadster like this.
  4. bct

bct

I bet he checked the spelling on the tailgate more than once.

5. Ha! Yeah a misspell would've been a bummer.

bct likes this.
  6. Love the video! Oh and your color choice! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. Ha! Thanks Texas36. I hope all is well for yall in Houston btw.

8. good score on the chassis, you guys out west must have hot rod material all over the place out there! recently acquired a 27 touring body, so now I'm watching this thread even closer for inspiration (and tips).

9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Not to steer this off-track, but I appreciate your comments about knowing your history as it relates to the same way I approach my music. Blues music today is largely dominated by frustrated rock guitar players who have no outlet for their music in the rock scene, so they call what they do "blues", or Blues-rock, and they basically go no further back in history than Stevie Ray Vaughan and think they know the blues. Bullshit. I'm obsessed with traditional blues music and musicians, the history of the music is so deep and rich, as a player or just as someone who enjoys the music, you need to go way back in the genre and learn where this all comes from and how it developed, and then you take what you learn from all of that and incorporate that in your own music. The parallels with traditional hot rodding are strong, and is what really draws me to traditional rodding. OK, sorry for the digression, back to hot rods here. I just wanted to say how I appreciate your attitude and can relate to it.

bondojunkie and Felipe Toltecatl like this.
  10. Yes we're pretty lucky having all the rust free tin around here but ironically not a lot of guys into building traditional hot rods. I'll keeping trying to show them the light.

bondojunkie likes this.
  11. This is too funny because I'm also a musician (upright bass) in an old school RL Burnside meets Willie Dixon type blues band. I also play traditional rockabilly in another band. I see the parallels and agree with you completely.

Blues4U likes this.
  12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Too cool. Love the upright. I can't play it, but I love it, the best bass tone for sure and really required for roots music.

13. Now it looks like your avitar photo!

brEad, Jet96 and Felipe Toltecatl like this.
  14. It was meant to be!

brEad and cactus1 like this.
  15. I'm thinking about running one of these 9N radiators. Don't 9N's have basically the same engine as Model A & B? $150 is much more affordable and they are shorter so it won't be taller than the cowl. Screenshot_2017-06-06-10-01-40.png Screenshot_2017-06-06-10-01-44.png

RICH B and spurgeonforge like this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

Never thought about that, but I wonder if it would be a good replacement? Price is definitely good, size I would think would be very good as well. You might be onto something with the tractor radiator. Fill cap is a little tall, but if your shell fits over it, no harm there. I would think there'd be plenty of cores in a tractor too, considering they never get up to any great speed, it would kinda be required.

17. A Boner

A Boner

image.png The mounting provisions are different, but yes the price is right! The core is 17" tall, 15 3/8"wide and 2 1/8" thick.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  18. 9n engines are different than A/B. One thing to watch out for is that some aren't for a pressurized system. A lot of tractors didn't have pressurized systems.

19. Oooooo that's something I hadn't considered! Great point!

20. Ok I just got confirmation from Cross Creek Tractor CO that these radiators WILL work with pressurized cooling systems. I made the order. I'll let yall know how it works out.

Beau, indestructableforce and Blues4U like this.
  21. I'm looking at the photos of the Rad you posted up. The top tank looks to extend forward of the core. If so that will be an issue for an A grill shell. Also the fan sits under the top tank shelf in stock form so dropping the Rad down also means pushing it forward some. I'd like more info if possible being I also need a 2" shorter Rad for my 27 on A chassis with stock A motor running a stock fan on the Pump. That's a grate price for a new Rad and would jump on it if it works for me also.
    The Wizzard

22. I haven't figured out the fan issue yet. I may run a V8 water pump (that will really dictate fan placement). As far as a grill shell I was going to ask my buddy Fast Eddie in Albuquerque to make me a custom Whippet style shell just for my application. In the mean time I'll run with no shell if and when I get to race it on the beach.

Attached Files:

23. Bud I hate to tell ya this. I just tried the 9n rad on the little sprinter I built. It over heats... I switched to a high output electric fan and water wetter.. wish I saw this earlier I would have warned ya

24. Oh man that sucks! I already pulled the trigger.

25. It happens.. I have the more expensive brass rad for 9n restorations.. you might have better luck.. hasn't overheated yet with the heavy fan

26. Thanks for the heads up!

27. A Boner

A Boner

What engine? Did it have a small sprint car grill opening, or was the front of the radiator completely open?

62x likes this.
  28. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, the wheel barrow idea doesn't sound all that bad. The shape would be just about right for what I'm doing>

29. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too, too.