Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jroberts

jroberts

I believe the Studebaker Larks in this picture were prepared by Holman & Moody.

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-10-10_7-6-32.png
    Hello,

Before the proliferation of the white buildings with the giant red Target popping up in most neighborhoods, there was GEMCO. They were all over So Cal and elsewhere in droves. The tall free standing signs with the big block letters… the huge parking areas, the membership cards…allowed all of us to be card carrying members of exclusive shopping…or…
    upload_2017-10-10_7-7-26.png
    “Gemco was an American chain of membership department stores that was owned by San Leandro-based Lucky Stores, a California supermarket company which eventually became part of Albertsons. Gemco operated from 1959 until closing in late 1986. A number of the west coast stores were sold to Target which fueled their entry into California. Gemco had a version called Memco, also owned by Lucky Stores, that operated stores in the Chicago, Illinois, and Washington, D.C., areas.”

These stores were the forerunner of the membership card carrying shopping geared specifically for those that wanted almost a one stop shopping experience. From clothes, hardware, toys, automotive parts and services, groceries,etc…If you needed something, Gemco usually had it in stock. Gas and automotive needs were just around the sides of most of the stores.

In our neck of So Cal, the new Mission Viejo Mall had opened up in the 70’s. But, like all big malls, they did not cater to the local neighborhood shopping experience with stuff for everyday use. Gemco was something that offered a lot of choices of just plain…stuff.

Sure, our neighborhood hardware store was the main place for all of our household and automotive needs, but the trip to Gemco was an experience, that soon wore off…

Jnaki

That experience wore off because not only did we shop there, but so did the masses of local South Orange County families. It became very crowded on a daily basis and the rush at the holidays became unbearable.

Our choices narrowed quickly and before the time Gemco closed in the 80’s, that shopping experience was over. The parent company of the Target Stores bought most of the remaining stores and have opened huge new stores all over since then.

Today, the red Target sign draws neighborhood families like flies on honey. It is a giant one stop shopping experience with fairly low prices for the same stuff at other local markets.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I loved the GEMCO in Fountain Valley in the 70's. At the back office you could cash by righting a check or on a credit card after banking hours. Saved my bacon quite a few times back then when I got an emergency call to go out of town for work. A SAMs is there now.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. loudbang

loudbang

6. jchav62

jchav62

7. Crystal Cove a few miles north of Laguna Beach. Now a California State Park. Pacific Coast Highway not paved.
    [​IMG]

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wow Maggie, good batch there.
    You hit most all of the major Oregon cities, you even came within five miles of where I grew up, a small town in the Willamette valley.

9. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

10. I didn't do the horse and buggy ones, and skipped the ones we post a lot, but a good batch I'd say.

11. SoCal Stan

SoCal Stan
    from SoCal

When was the last time you used a bumper jack ??

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

There seem to be surprisingly few Fords in this bunch. I see a 46-8 Mercury and a 41 Ford in the front row and a very few others in the entire lot. Interesting.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

About 1972 (ish) when I bought my first radials for my 57 BelAir, IIRC, rwl radial TA's.
    Radials, the tires "real" HAMB'rs love to hate.

14. Ghostcruiser

Ghostcruiser
    from NE Florida

Opening day for Disneyland, 1955.

15. scrubba

scrubba

The ONLY thing I could hope for in Maggie's Oregon tour is a few more shots of Cave Junction and nearby Grant's Pass. In the early 70's , I moved up there from Hollywood to get my act together and "Dry Out " . God Bless those folks and the other friends I met near Brookings as they made me a better person .

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I bet the park employees always have the feeling they're being watched.

chryslerfan55 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  17. Love the Hillman Husky in this pic.

Chrisbcritter and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. 59lesabre

59lesabre
    from Uk

There is a Hillman Husky here too

19. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

[​IMG]
    I've often wished I could shoot missiles out of my trunk when I'm on the highway. Maybe a little smaller, but still...

20. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

My dad gave me his 59 Strato Chief, 261 6 cyl, 3 sp standard on the floor. Drove the crap out of it until it got too rusty to drive. Should have kept the wagon rims.

21. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

I see you are Canadian. There was no US Strato Chief model for '59 let alone with that drivetrain. Interesting how GM mixed the makes and models around for Canada. It would have been cool to see one like yours.

22. [​IMG]
    Ashton, ID
    [​IMG]

Blackfoot, ID
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.